Thread: Tahoe Maritime Museum collection goes to auction

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Tahoe Maritime Museum collection goes to auction

Default Re: Tahoe Maritime Museum collection goes to auction

I’ve seen estimates that 1 in 3 museums/arts institutions will permanently close in the near future

Sad news! Beautiful boats!

The Lottery didn’t come through for us, maybe next week is our turn.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Looking now, sad. I didn't even know they existed, though it looks like it didn't really start to spool up until after my last visit to Tahoe for skiing over two decades ago.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Some art museums will have to sell some pieces just to keep open.
    When I donated my British Seagull to our Waterway Museum I had to sign a document stating that I held no interest in the way they chose to use it. They could display it or sell it or use it for parts.

BTW, they displayed it.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Some nice things in that collection

Early 5hp "Round Head Hicks" (camshaft is 90° to crankshaft so unable to make multiple cylinder combinations.Probably 1905 ish)

8797B0C1-65A3-4F26-AF59-D5CAFDEFCFBF.jpg

And what is this?
    9C5DA05C-1E42-4C33-9E68-F92020F256D6.jpg

Maybe I should break down and buy a lottery ticket... Some mighty interesting stuff.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Some of it may go cheap...
    I would like to have that Hicks, but would quickly donate it to the SF Maritime Historical National Park.

(They probably have the largest collection of Hicks as they were manufactured in SF and installed in every Felucca in SF and Monterey bay, I found one at the Santa Cruz dump about 10 years ago and talked them out of scrapping it. I brought it to the Museum collection)
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 07-26-2020 at 01:36 PM.

That doesn't look like Lake Tahoe in the pics. Or my memory of it. The museum piece mentioned other venues near Tahoe, maybe that's Mono Lake in the background, behind the lapstrake sloop?

From the bring a trailer link.

This 1915 Gunter rig sailboat was built by the Canadian Boat Company in Quebec and is constructed of lapstrake mahogany. The mast, boom, and Gunter yard are also also made of wood. Named Vent d’ete, French for summer wind, the boat was originally delivered to the San Francisco Yacht Club and used as a training boat in their junior sailing…
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

"now being sold at no reserve on a bill of sale in Carson City, Nevada."

From the listing, this is museum volunteers on Tahoe ten years ago. The trailer isn't included in the purchase of the boat.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

A lovely little skiff. looks perfect for Sacto river gunkholing

crazy prices...

Someone just asked how they are supposed to move the boat if it doesn't come with the trailer, on a site title Bring a Trailer. I think they were serious, it is the 1922 Chris Craft.

On the other hand someone asked for a cold start video on the sailboat last week and I thought that was hilarious.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

This is the one I want, but it sold for $71K. Sorry, no. I don't want it nearly that much.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

What’s with the galvanized diagonal braces on the old town canoe?

Wrong side of the country for me.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    What’s with the galvanized diagonal braces on the old town canoe?
    You should look at all the photos in the gallery at https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1938-old-town-canoe/ to see just how appallingly bad the condition of this canoe is.

The photos show a terrible fiberglass job that has been puntured and badly repaired. The hull has been very badly damaged along most of its length -- the interior of the hull has a number of long fiberglass patches which are peeling away, but which attempted to cover and repair multiple broken ribs and planking. Water stains under an next to these patches indicated that the patches were not very effective. Those triangular braces were probably installed in an attempt to keep the damaged hull frm oil-canning or otherwise changing shape as the canoe was used. The hull was holed in at least one place, and a fiberglass patch was applied to the outside -- a patch which itself has failed. The planking that was holed was apparently just left more-or-less in place, rather than being properly replaced, and was just covered over with one of the lousing inside fiberglass patches. Two or three ribs (or more0 were certainly also broken. Broken fiberglass at the top of one stem exposing the broken and rotted wood of that stem suggests that the canoe had been stored upside down outside on wet ground, causing rot. The broken fiberglass suggests that such storage continued after the glass covering, but also suggests that that canoe was repeatedly dropped when being placed upside down (or repeatedly abused in some other manner). It is not apparent why the center thwart has half a thwart doubling up under it, but presumably it is bolstering someting wrong (a bad end?) with the thwart itself. One end of the keel, which was glassed over, is protruding through the fiberglass. While some damaged ribs and planking is coverd by the ineffective interior fibergalss patches, there are also a number of unrepaired broken ribs and split planking that are clearly visible, not covered by the patches. And on top of everthing else, the hull is hogged.

This canoe was owned by someone who abused it, did not know how to keep it, did not know how to repair it, and generally created a mess.

And the current bid of $400 is about $500 too much -- someone should be paid at least $100 to properly dispose of this hulk.