Thread: Definitive photo sharing

Default Definitive photo sharing

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to place this, but here goes. After being burned by the photobucket fiasco, I took the time to rebuild my thread by copying all my photos to Google photo and replacing each post. It took a while and seemed to initially work, but for whatever reason, Google photos is flaky too. All the photos are in the same folders with the same permissions on the google side, but here on the forums, they will inexplicably disappear as "missing photo" icons. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to which ones stay and which ones break. Reloading them sometimes works, and then they might go again. It's pretty frustrating.

I'd like to keep up my thread for posterity and to have access to the expertise of the forum, and have considered replacing the photos for a third time, but if I go to the trouble, I've also considered maybe it's just easier to do it as an external blog. Sigh.

So, can folks who have NO trouble with photos, tell me how you've managed and what hosting you use. Thanks

Default Re: Definitive photo sharing

• Take the pic(s) and upload to your computer.

Click on the square "insert image" icon at the top of the reply box.

Select "From Computer".

Now click on "Select Files".

That will give you a box where you can find your photos on the computer.

Click on the photo you want to post. The name of the photo will appear in the box.

Click on "Upload File(s)" and wait until it is uploaded.

Now go back and do it again for the next photo, etc.

Click on "Post Quick Reply". The photo won't actually show full size until you post the reply.

Save these instructions for further use. Once you've done it a few of times it becomes intuitive.

I have found that it is worth the trouble after each posting of 3 photos to close the window then re-open it to confirm that they come thru. Sometimes they only show as "attachment #####" in which case you will want to select "edit post' and one at a time delete the photos and re-post them. Sounds complicated, but it's not, and they usually come thru the first time.

I agree with the above; the Forum makes it simple to post photos these days once you're used to it.

One caveat: I've found it best to re-size photos to smaller versions first. Otherwise, it can take several tries to post them. And sometimes you can post successfully, but when you come back your photos will have turned into attachments instead.

So, re-size, post, and close the thread after every few photos as suggested above.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Great! Thanks for the tips!

Resizing images for posting may be as simple as e-mailing them to yourself. I do this frequently with my iPhone where most of the images I want to share originate. This also ensures that they appear ‘right-reading’ as sometimes, with some forum-hosting software, images from Apple phones display rotated 90 or 180 degrees.

One note of caution however: if you’re sensitive about revealing the location where your images were taken, posting them may include the GPS coordinates hidden in your files’ metadata. You can turn that data-saving off in the settings for your camera app before you take new pics, or use something like Photoshop to copy the image pixel data alone then paste into a new, metadata-less file.

This forum ‘hosts’ images on the server it runs on. Others avoid the data storage overhead (and management expenses associated with storing bitmap files, which can be costly!!) of hosting uploaded files by requiring users to host their images elsewhere. I suspect this is the reason you initiated this thread. I’ve been frustrated often trying to include images in post I add to threads on another forum I won’t name. Other users seem to have fewer issues but so far I’m still flummoxed.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 07-25-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Resizing is really easy if you have the free GIMP software.You just select the scale image option and it changes the size of the image,which you can then export as a .jpg with as much or as little metadata or EXIF data as you feel like leaving in place.It does a whole lot more too,but I'm no photomanipulation expert.

If you have "Paint" (my PC laptop included it installed when I bought it), you can resize images there with a click, then save in several formats including .jpg and .png

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks all for your tips. Started replacing the missing photos again. So far, so good. Except I realize that when I'm logged in I can see the images. If I'm not, or someone who wasn't a member of the forum goes to look at them, there are only text links to the uploaded images. (url linked images are visible)
    Is there a permissions option on the thread or my profile to make them visible to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bdbFC View Post
    Thanks all for your tips. Started replacing the missing photos again. So far, so good. Except I realize that when I'm logged in I can see the images. If I'm not, or someone who wasn't a member of the forum goes to look at them, there are only text links to the uploaded images. (url linked images are visible)
    Is there a permissions option on the thread or my profile to make them visible to anyone?
    It's not uncommon to upload images, see them posted, then when you log back in later you find your images that were fine before are now links. It can take a few (many) tries to get them to stay permanently sometimes. I delete the attachments using the "Edit Post" button at the bottom, the re-insert the image.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I appreciate the comments. But there's got to be some answer other than keep trying until it sticks. :/.
    Is there a site administrator who monitors the boards?