Thread: Chain hoist

Default Chain hoist

Good morning.

I would like to learn more about chain hoists. Maybe aka chain falls. Not lever hoists.

Tulsa Chain distinguishes between chain hoists and mechanical chain hoists. I don't understand the distinction.

https://www.tulsachain.com/hoist-39-s-overload-protec-/

There seem to be single fall and double fall? This I also don't understand.

I'm in the market for a chain hoist with a 1/2 to 1 ton capacity and a 20 for lift.

I'm going to mount it way up under an eave and it will be hard to get at. Not impossible, just difficult. It will be used for one big job, mounting a prefab landing, then a series of smaller jobs like appliances or coolers.

A couple of specific questions.

I'm trying to figure out how far down the chain will hang. Can I special order a longer chain? Or change the chain? It's hard to tell from photos and specs. And I can't figure out what to call this attribute. I've seen overhead door chain hoist with 30 for chain drops.

Do these things require maintenance? It will be seldom used. Maybe 25 times a year. If there is a type that is lower maintenance, I would go with that.

I was toying with the idea of mounting it under a bucket to further protect it from the elements. But they seem pretty covered up. Is this needed?

Do they jamb often? I'm hoping that if permanently mounted, it will be pretty robust.

The alternative is an electric hoist. I feel pretty confident that I could get 10 years or so out of that if protected from the elements. Easier in many ways but it would have to wait for the solar system that is down the road.

Finally, I'm determined to buy something of decent quality. Probably not Chinese. Any brand recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any insight or experience.

Tom

Default Re: Chain hoist

I'm thinking it is acolloquialism
    A lever hoist will work horizontally

I like the old fashioned continuous chain block and tackle ((chain fall) and have one hanging from the end of my barn and a small one (500lb) over the milling machine.
    I also have a 5 ton Chain hoist (uses a gearbox and two chains, one smaller continuous piece and one with the hook) to move machinery (lathe, mill, etc) on and off a truck into the shop

I always called these a chain fall (just a simple block and tackle)

Tom,

There's a really nice one that looks like the one above for sale in a used stuff store here. $95.00 CDN if I remember correctly. I'll check it out for you next time I go to Ganges if you want. Freight might be a bit much I suppose, but it may be worth it for such a nice piece of old iron.

OK, I just called. It's 1/2 Ton by approx. 10 feet by $90.00 CDN (about $67.00 USD) and the guy I talked to said they will ship to Texas.

Let me know if you're interested.

Just looking at it I would have guessed 2 tons easy. It should go in your living room when not in use.

OK again, I just asked him to email photos. Will post them when they arrive.

Gib-You are too kind. I actually got a nice, old, hoist from a fellow forumite here in Austin. There is a place for it in my shop (though I can barely lift it anymore). They do make great industrial art.

This one is going to live it’s life overhead, like the sword of Damocles. So I was thinking of getting something new/modern where I could be certain of the history.

I’m leaning towards an Oz. Strangely, it is not australian. (Sort of like Outback Solar is in Arizona.)

https://ozliftingproducts.com/produc...m-chain-hoist/

I’ve got a message into them to see about adding a longer chain.

Those old fashioned chain-falls never fail, the axles need oil once in a while, but they can hang outside almost forever, the chains clean up as soon as you start using them. Wear gloves.
    The new ones with their gears and ratchets maybe not so much

Here's a "modern" hoist & trolley. This is inside my barn (I beam for 2nd floor support).

Auction purchases. I only needed 500 lbs - so a 1/4 ton hoist. The 1.5 ton trolley was $25 (new in box) - so that's why it's so much ruggeder.

I have to say that I don't really notice any diff. vs. an older more "picturesque" chain falls.

hoist.jpg
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

They all work, one of the nicer features of the " newer" style is the driving chain length stays consistent. With the old chain-falls you sometimes need a ladder, and when the hoist is all the way up the chain is on the ground.
    Before you buy one, make sure the driving chain loop is long enough to reach between your purchase and you. It is an endless chain.
    Which somewhere around here I have a new "Budgit" 5 ton manual chain hoist, extra... It's heavy, maybe 75+ lbs.

I have an endless chain type which I have even used horizontally to pull a large timber out of a river. I think the older style, while charming in their antique way, are more cumbersome and difficult to use. I am not sure why you dont want a Chinese one,( Innate racism?) This type of equipment made in China brings utility to the market at a reasonable cost. The big box stores that sell them offer reasonable guarantees.

I agree with Canoeyawl's assessment of the advantages of the newer types.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

I’m not sure why you would bring up racism, up here. Please stay off this thread.

I am pretty sure they are all made in asia today.
    I have one identical to Garret (1ton) on a trolley to shift the boat to one side of the barn for the winter, the whole outfit probably set me back $200. The entire operation moving a 1000 lb boat on the trailer is one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I’m not sure why you would bring up racism, up here. Please stay off this thread.
    I brought it up because I see lots of anti Chinese sentiment about products that are otherwise ok. Why dont you want to buy Chinese?
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I have an endless chain type which I have even used horizontally to pull a large timber out of a river. I think the older style, while charming in their antique way, are more cumbersome and difficult to use. I am not sure why you dont want a Chinese one,( Innate racism?) This type of equipment made in China brings utility to the market at a reasonable cost. The big box stores that sell them offer reasonable guarantees.
    China has earned itself a reputation for faking safety certificates and selling crap products. How else can they manufacture and ship halfway around the globe at such a low price?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Here is my chain hoist-system running with trolley on H-beam. I use it for building/loading/repairing small boats. Very versatile. Total material-cost including H-beam (rail)and bolts in concrete-slab of garage about 200 Euro.

Trolley: Designed in Austria. Probably made in China.

Laufkatze.jpg

Chain hoist: Designed some 100 years ago in Europe or America. Made in China

Kette.jpg

H-Beam: Made in Italy from recycled steel made of recycled cars made with steel-sheets made in Austria with recycled steel and iron-ore mined in Sweden?

Ready for takeoff:

chain hoist.jpg

Kettenzug.jpg

waagbalken.jpg
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 08-12-2020 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Well I tried. Cue sad trombone.

7488B46A-F168-4406-AEA3-ED91D216D877.jpg
    A reasonable compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    China has earned itself a reputation for faking safety certificates and selling crap products. How else can they manufacture and ship halfway around the globe at such a low price?
    So you assume that everything made in China is crap? That is simply not true. The reality is that China is the world's largest manufacturing nation. They make and sell some crap, no denying it, those products get quickly exposed in these days of online reviews.
    Their Government subsidises shipping and actively assists export oriented business.

I have some amazingly cheap manufactured products that came from China, that are certainly not top quality, but are perfectly servicable items and great value for the money I paid. A German or American made similar product would be unaffordable, and Britain gave up the ghost on manufacturing years ago!

My original comment was aimed at the prejudice displayed. I'm saddened that you exhibit it too.

How come they are so cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    Maybe the question should be how come everything else is so friggen' expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    The average wage of a line worker in a chinese factory is just over $1000 including all benefits.. or around 1/10th of a USA factory line worker..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    So you assume that everything made in China is crap? That is simply not true. The reality is that China is the world's largest manufacturing nation. They make and sell some crap, no denying it, those products get quickly exposed in these days of online reviews.
    Their Government subsidises shipping and actively assists export oriented business.

I have some amazingly cheap manufactured products that came from China, that are certainly not top quality, but are perfectly servicable items and great value for the money I paid. A German or American made similar product would be unaffordable, and Britain gave up the ghost on manufacturing years ago!

My original comment was aimed at the prejudice displayed. I'm saddened that you exhibit it too.
    Not prejudice. I recognise facts. Facts that Chinese manufacturers faked test certificates for chain. You cannot weasel words around that by accusing folk of racism.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Chain, food, medicine, toys, etc.

Facts are not racist.

This is going back. Classic bait and switch. Illegal in this state. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Not prejudice. I recognise facts. Facts that Chinese manufacturers faked test certificates for chain. You cannot weasel words around that by accusing folk of racism.
    Read my original post again. A question is not an accusation. I was interested in the answer.

You write off all Chinese products on the basis of unforgivable behaviour by one or more chain manufacturers. How is that different from writing off all black/white/yellow... people because one turned out to be a thief?

We can all fall into this trap, I was questioning whether it happened in this case.

In my previous job we had a couple of these little guys:

https://liftingvictoria.com.au/produ...x-chain-block/

We got them with custom chains to do ~12m.

2.4kg of block to lift up to 250kg. They were really beautiful bits of kit. There’s nothing worse than trying to lift 10kg of slithering block onto an eye, while hanging out the edge of the basket of a cherry picker 10m up. For some reason people always go for ridiculously oversize stuff for lifting, forgetting that you’ve got to lift the block into position manually. I swear there have been times when the block didn’t weight that much less than the load.