Thread: How Many "Birdwatcher Cabin" Sailboats Did PB&F Design?

Default How Many "Birdwatcher Cabin" Sailboats Did PB&F Design?

How many "birdwatcher cabin" sailboats did Phil Bolger & Friends, Inc. draw up plans for?

I know of the following boats:

• Berengaria?
    • Birdwatcher
    • Birdwatcher II
    • Camper
    • Double Eagle?
    • Jochems Schooner
    • Le Dulci-Mer
    • Schorpioen
    • Wandervogel
    • Whalewatcher
    • William D. Jochems

I'm not sure if the "Berengaria" has a proper birdwatcher cabin, nor the "Double Eagle".

Also, the "Jochem Schooner" and the "William D. Jochems" seem very similar, but not exactly the same. Are these two different designs or two different cartoons?

Are there any other birdwatcher cabin sailboat designs from PB&F that I have missed?

Has anybody besides PB&F and Jim Michalak designed birdwatcher cabin sailboats?

Many thanks for any helpful feedback from all the Bolgeristas out there.

Default Re: How Many "Birdwatcher Cabin" Sailboats Did PB&F Design?

I wouldn't consider Double Eagle a Birdwatcher setup, which I take to be a long cabin trunk with lots of glass and a "trench" opening the full length. But I can't add any more to your list.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I wouldn't consider Double Eagle a Birdwatcher setup, which I take to be a long cabin trunk with lots of glass and a "trench" opening the full length. But I can't add any more to your list.
    Thanks, Woxbox, for that clarification. I couldn't quite tell from the cartoon I have access to if Double Eagle was a full on birdwatcher cabin. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeSeubert View Post
    Thanks, Woxbox, for that clarification. I couldn't quite tell from the cartoon I have access to if Double Eagle was a full on birdwatcher cabin. Now I know.
    Double Eagle is a huge boat, designed for a gentlemen who occasionally visited this forum. As I recall it, he had plans to run a crewed charter business in Alaska. About five years ago I saw the boat tied up in Juneau. It was looking a bit forlorn. I was fascinated by the design, which is full of Bolgeresque notions about what really makes sense in a boat. At any rate, there's standing headroom in the big deckhouse and more accommodations down in the hulls.
    -Dave