Thread: Are hardwood knees available commerpower carving cially?

Default Are hardwood knees available commerpower carving cially?

I want to carve a bent handle in the form a a cobra's head (neck flat & wide) for a cane for one of my daughters, Am wondering what wood species are both strong yet carvable. I usually work in White Pine but am familiar with Basswood but am looking for something stronger. and have no idea what might be available for boat building. I usually work with "bench knives" but have power carving equipment (both 1/8" and 1/4" shaft) for roughing out. The shaft of the cane will be Sassafras on which a vine had left a spiral groove along the entire length.

Default Re: Are hardwood knees available commerpower carving cially?

Make that title "commercially"

As far as I know, no, except. . . . In the tree there are two sources, from hardwoods, the underside of branches and trunk to root. Almost any hardwood will do. Josh Swan, who posts on the forum, supplies knees out of Wisconsin. You might try him for a source. Pine, Hackmatack or spruce root stock knees would be plenty strong. For hardwoods, likewise, any carve-able wood should do if you got the desired angle and width.

Apple, birch ?

I have carved a handle out of a cherry crook. Any fruit wood or oak or ash will be OK, although ash grain can be a bit prominent.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Osage orange ("bo'dark", bois d'arc, hedge apple, likely a few other choice names too) since you live close to where it's abundant.

Used for fencerows for over 100 years the old growth is large enough for what you're looking for and the root-to-trunk knees are formidable.

It carves fairly nice when green, tougher once dried.

Here's a map showing the counties where it's been reported as present to the point of being considered as an invasive species.

It's in the same family as mulberry trees so the sap may irritate your skin.

And if you're truly from Rockford IL you probably already know how abundant that stuff is in rural Illinois, particularly around the Quad Cities area.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 07-23-2020 at 07:13 PM.