Thread: The Martha White needs a new home

Default The Martha White needs a new home

The Martha White, which I believe graced the cover of WoodenBoat Magazine when she was launched back in the 70s. is in need of a new caretaker. I'm picking this up from the facebook Woodenboat page, where comments as to the exact situation are mixed. But it may be she'll be scrapped if there's no one willing to take over ownership.

I sailed on Martha White a few years ago. She was showing her age, no doubt, but everything was working. We put up every sail she had on a mild autumn day and had a fine time tacking up and down the Chester River. This is a lot of boat -- essentially a scaled down Bluenose schooner -- I think 65' LOA.

Here's the facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4592...56987744571386

This is a lot of boat and given her age, probably needs a lot of work. But the rewards might make it worth it. I understand the owner had been planning on donating the boat to a charity, but it seems that didn't pan out. So now it's out there for "free," ha ha ha.

And the disclaimer -- I have no personal financial stake here, and I'm only posting this in good faith that this is a rescue a classic situation, with no price on it.

-Dave

Downingtown Pa (S/V Andantino down in Rock Hall, Md)

Default Re: The Martha White needs a new home

I was onboard as recently as a year ago. The non profit that was taking her over had her moored in Havre de Grace for some time. that deal went south and I never found out why. she is currently docked at Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras river. the last time I checked her out for the non profit, there was some issues in the backbone around the wooden rudder stock. but other than that she seemed ok.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Belongs on the back page. I'm surprised there hasn't been a hue and cry for rescue!

Sadly, she lives in that netherworld of age. She's old enough to require a lot of work to get her back up to snuff, but not so old that she carries the cachet of being truly ancient, remembered, loved, and cherished. It's like restoring a 70s corvette. You can spend a lot of time and money getting it just right.. just to have a 70s corvette. It's a shame, I have seen her, she's lovely to look at.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Update: The owner has an agreement with a licensed captain who is to take ownership, rehab the vessel, and then put her into service with a New England non-profit. Th at's all the detaiI I have now.
    -Dave