Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Something I don't know how to do!

Default Something I don't know how to do!

Crown molding! I don't think I've ever seen the crown molding in a boat but maybe is seen or used in in really large vessels.

Now that I am finally boat-less and boat project-less I'm finding more time to work on some of the projects around the house because I want to sell the house make sense I guess but I've long since lost interest in fixing up this old dump.

My next door neighbor's husband is a finish Carpenter she's the realtor real nice people anyhow he came over graciously for a couple hours and coped the corners.

I wasted about four feet of the crown molding trying to make some inside corners then with that scrap I tried to make coped corners not my style but in desperation I finally called him to rescue me in my hour of need.

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Something I don't know how to do!

After my friend left during the week I started filling the holes and fastening. I did make a little outside corner shelf out of the leftover crown molding. Also extended the stock door casings to match the old casings in of the house (double cove 1.25") still need to be painted and filled & painted20200718_182858-1.jpg
    Some of you may remember what we did here added a picture of what is there now with the new closets alcove and makeup vanity!

Last edited by DeniseO30; 07-19-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Good work. That stuff makes my head hurt. No matter how hard I work it through in my head, it comes out 90 degrees off.

You cant cut them with a mitre saw when they have that kind of crown as you have to belly out the moulding to avoid the hollows/gaps. Coping saw is the usual tool. Best job done after a cup of tea. Often to see copious amounts of filler in these mouldings when decorating.

Looks good Denise! I put crown molding in the foyer of our old bungalow style house and it made a huge difference. Added the gallery band later to finish it off. Our daughter wants to tear it all out and start over, I think...but it's her house now so I've gotta keep mumm. I really can't say a word...on all the remodel stuff she's done so far it's come out great.

It was mdf and 5.25 +- " which translates to 3.25 at 45* miter saw did okay on the returns which there was only 2 of. The coped corners needed very little caulk which was very pleasing to me, I did, just for fun make a marine type scarf joint on One piece lol
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 07-19-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Looks good, Denise - I had some installed years ago, but just got around to caulking and painting - it makes quite a difference !!!

caulk and paint...makes me the carpenter I aint

I do a bunch of crown molding as part of my day job. Some use the Collins Coping Foot on their jigsaw and some use a grinder or cut the copes from the back of a table saw blade (shivers) but I like to use a plain old coping saw. I am almost done making a new one:

98BEBCBA-933C-4D7F-85C7-2432B68B75AF.jpg

This is the kind of stuff I do:

62AAB23B-0FEF-4F76-A7A6-5C29D6184F90.jpg

5B06AFED-0823-49F3-BF8E-606FC64BFEA1.jpg
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 07-19-2020 at 09:39 PM.

I just finished up a full tiled shower with coped moldings around the top and bottom. That was interesting...
    It is good thing I bought an extra dozen pieces!

Too much to explain, but I cut my crown moldings on a chopsaw then cope it out. The cut on the chopsaw has to be upside down and backwards then coped. It can make your head spin.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Too much to explain, but I cut my crown moldings on a chopsaw then cope it out. The cut on the chopsaw has to be upside down and backwards then coped. It can make your head spin.
    Rich it does make my head spin!

IMO, It's's not actually easier to cope a corner but it does allow for the differences less or more than 90° the basic cut is upside down at a 45 degrees same as if it was being cut for and inside corner (I think some cut it as if they were cutting an outside corner, then the edge is coped, that's what was really throwing me, when I watched, saw it hands on, I was able to understand better!
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 07-20-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Rich it does make my head spin!

IMO, It's's not actually easier to cope a corner but it does allow for the differences less or more than 90° the basic cut is upside down at a 45 degrees same as if it was being cut for and inside corner (I think some cut it as if they were cutting an outside corner, then the edge is coped, that's what was really throwing me, when I watched, saw it hands on, I was able to understand better!
    No, this won’t work. You get the wrong shape. There are lots of YouTube videos that explain coping inside corners but it’s not until you’ve done a few that it really clicks.

No it won't work my bad

Anyway mine is done and has greatly improved the looks of the bedroom!
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 07-20-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I do a bunch of crown molding as part of my day job. Some use the Collins Coping Foot on their jigsaw and some use a grinder or cut the copes from the back of a table saw blade (shivers) but I like to use a plain old coping saw. I am almost done making a new one:

98BEBCBA-933C-4D7F-85C7-2432B68B75AF.jpg

This is the kind of stuff I do:

62AAB23B-0FEF-4F76-A7A6-5C29D6184F90.jpg

5B06AFED-0823-49F3-BF8E-606FC64BFEA1.jpg
    Now that's pretty work. I've put crown up in most rooms of each house we've owned ... and have had very little fun doing it.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Thanks, the coffered ceiling isn’t common around here. It was fun to do. I didn’t install the kitchen on that job but did get to do the crown molding on the cabinets. The GC was very surprised I finished it in one day. Some of the cabinets were back ordered and came in two days before the owners were to move in. The kitchen was ready on time.

A996267E-8AD8-41F2-9ACF-D770546EB666.jpg

1D20DDA6-9B61-4D87-9C1F-19B2DBC4DA7E.jpg
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 07-20-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Having been around construction all my life I can see why the old time high-end construction crown moldings and coffered ceilings were done in plaster ( they probably didn't have the ability to make miters & cope joints like is done now) lol

this of course goes back to a time when everything for a building was built in the building in/at the building.

There were plenty of wooden crown moldings put up in the old days. Our 1892 had a kind of hybrid - wooden moldings with a thin plaster layer on them with some extra detail. All that was needed to install coped moldings was a site made miterbox and a coping saw.

I like your coping saw. I built a similar one some years ago, but I haven't used it for crown molding so far.

P1080614.jpg

There were plenty of wooden crown moldings put up in the old days. Our 1892 had a kind of hybrid - wooden moldings with a thin plaster layer on them with some extra detail. All that was needed to install coped moldings was a site made miterbox and a coping saw.
    I don't knowthere but here in the east row houses townhouses city houses almost all had plaster cieling moldings, the wood molding were on the outside and many of those were also made of metal which is also a lost craft.

The incredible joinery work on some city houses is absolutely amazing. But so much it's been covered with paint that it can never be recovered restored.

Also as you went up in the house they used lesser and lesser value wood for example Walnut and Chestnut were often used on the first floor, second floor would go with just chestnut and pine trim second and third floors all pine and yellow pine.

SOF64, Steven - I really like the work on those saws !! Inspired

Mmmm, fake coffered ceilings, me like, excelent waste of fine craftmaship there.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Having been around construction all my life I can see why the old time high-end construction crown moldings and coffered ceilings were done in plaster ( they probably didn't have the ability to make miters & cope joints like is done now) lol

this of course goes back to a time when everything for a building was built in the building in/at the building.
    I remember working with an old school English plasterer who told me that on the higher end jobs they would cut a piece of tin to a shape specific to that job, so the mouldings they formed with it were unique. This was solid plastering where everything was formed in situ, not fitted later.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    SOF64, Steven - I really like the work on those saws !! Inspired
    Thank you for the compliment.

Steven what laser do you like for laying out those jobs? The Dewalt 3-line laser is used by most of the trades around here, it's a magical tool!

I'm a great fan of paint-grade softwood and MDF crown, where coping and water-based caulk allow broader applications. Sometimes though, with pre-finished and hardwood moldings, it is good saws and cutting the right angle that's required for the proper job. I never seem to do enough of this to remember from one job to the next. / Jim

That ceiling was just tape measure and chalk line but I have a Bosch laser I use for lots of things.
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 07-28-2020 at 05:35 PM.

I may be confused with the terminology we call that "ceiling corner coving"

Just address it as you would a quadrant beading.

I would not consider using a coping saw as the two meeting ends lie on a vertical PLANE.

Some retailers here include a plastic template to mark the cut, that is fine if the corners are right angles then it gets interesting when they aren't.

Lots off people doubt their own ability when the join isn't quite right but remember that a plastering is not a accurate procedure and most corners are not exactly square.
    Last edited by Chippie; 07-29-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SOF64 View Post
    I like your coping saw. I built a similar one some years ago, but I haven't used it for crown molding so far.

P1080614.jpg
    Nice frame saw.
    This

is a coping saw. They take a finer blade and can do tighter turns.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

^^ That's told him Nick.
    Last edited by Chippie; 07-29-2020 at 01:43 AM.

The Collins Coping Foot for your jigsaw is good.

https://www.collinstool.com/tools/coping-foot/

Here's how to use it: http://www.garymkatz.com/ToolReviews...ping_foot.html

There is also this fixture for coping crown molding, the Easy Coper, though I rather suspect that it makes the probably unwarranted assumption that your corners are actual 90 degrees square.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=03J7580

http://www.easycoper.com

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The true beauty of the coped joint is it can fit perfectly even if the room is out of square. Not possible with a mitered joint without recutting.

The saw I made is definitely a coping saw. It uses regular 6.5” coping saw blades. I like the Pégas brand ones from Switzerland. I also made a standard sized one sometimes called a frame saw but usually called a turning saw. It uses 12” blades. Frame saws have wider blades. Usually longer, too.

And they are never square...

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I remember working with an old school English plasterer who told me that on the higher end jobs they would cut a piece of tin to a shape specific to that job, so the mouldings they formed with it were unique. This was solid plastering where everything was formed in situ, not fitted later.

The Curry brothers were friends of ours years ago, Irish plasterers working back home in Ohio.

They could freehand coved ceilings,plasterwork like you wouldn't believe. Masters of their craft.

Didn't like their pint of Guinness, they did.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The true beauty of the coped joint is it can fit perfectly even if the room is out of square. Not possible with a mitered joint without recutting.

The saw I made is definitely a coping saw. It uses regular 6.5” coping saw blades. I like the Pégas brand ones from Switzerland. I also made a standard sized one sometimes called a frame saw but usually called a turning saw. It uses 12” blades. Frame saws have wider blades. Usually longer, too.
    OK, wrong photo.
    This

has a coping saw blade.
    The other has the wider frame saw blade from what I can make out. I have two of each in the shed.
    Personally I find the steel frame coping saw more versatile.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.