Thread: Am I doing this right-lumber for sale

Default Am I doing this right-lumber for sale

Good evening.

I’m looking at some douglas fir on craigslist to make spars and masts for my Sea Pearl.

It is 12x - 2”x8”x16’ - rough sawn boards.

If my thinking is right, then
    12*(2/12)*(8/12)*16=21.3 board feet. (Oops. X12=256)

Price is $700. So the board foot price is $32/board foot?

I’ve not dealt with buying board feet before and I feel like there is an obvious mistake I am missing.

Or, if not, then this material is overpriced?

Thanks

Tom

Ps-edited to fix math.

08050238-5067-4E9C-9DC4-4008CF23BF40.jpg
    Last edited by bluedog225; 07-09-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: Am I doing this right-lumber for sale

Each plank is 21.3 bd. ft. by my math so if there’s 12 of ‘em that’s a total of 256 bd. ft.

(1 bd. ft. is 1” thick, 12” wide, 12” long or 144 cu. in.) http://extension.missouri.edu/script...ore/G05506.asp

So for $700 works out to about $2.74 per bd. ft. which is reasonable if it’s decent stuff, straight grained & been kept dry.

$32/bd ft’s more like what you’d be paying for legitimately acquired teak right now, in a different class entirely.

Read this thread then decide whether you might have fallen onto A Good Thing or not with that ad on CS....
    Last edited by sp_clark; 07-09-2020 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added link to related thread here.

Walk away. From the picture it looks like framing lumber.

Thanks. Looks like I forgot a 12. I will look at the thread. Thanks!

You could make spars for a small boat with that wood, but not at that price!

I work part-time in a hardware/lumber store....

Today I quoted a customer for dimensional kd (#2&btr) DF 2x12x16’ @ $39.99 ea. Decent stuff, better than big box home store quality. Works out to $1.25/bd. ft.

I’d be inclined to look with skepticism at their asking price; for non-graded rough lumber you’re risking a lot on what you aren’t qualified to evaluate.

I’d never suggest using such stuff - either what we stock or what that picture suggests might be the best that stack may offer - on boatwork.

Douglas Fir is a specialty item here in Texas.

I can go to Home Depot and get 20' 2x6 SYP in Number 1 grade, and if I highgrade the stack I can come away with boards that will yield 35-40% clear rippings.

Sometimes it's the 2x8s, sometimes it's the 10s, almost never the 12s.

Sometimes I can come away with 70-80% clear rippings.

The store near The Domain used to be the main lumber yard, and they stocked 20 footers in every width.

I don't know where the best place is, anymore.

I don't know how yellow pine stacks up against DF as spar stock, either, but I would bet that clear, straight grained SYP is a better choice than DF with lots of defects and grain runout.

SYP is cheap, too.
    Rattling the teacups.

Availability of suitable woods is going to be very location-specific I trust. SYP is pretty commonly available near where it's harvested, not so much unless special ordered the farther from where it's grown. Too what's sold under the SYP label can vary; what you actually get depends a lot on where it was grown.

It's wonderful stuff to work with (though it may gum up your tools!) with a pleasant smell, yields maybe sticky shavings when planed.

Compared to DF though it's ~ 15% heavier at avg. 38 lbs/cu ft. where DF's around 33. Compared to AYC @ 31, Sitka Spruce @ 27, whether this matters to a builder depends on where it's to be used. For planking maybe not important while for spars it could be.

Around where I am it's mostly used for pressure-treating. All the ground-contact treated stuff we get in is SYP-based. In the house I bought here in 2014 the stairs to the basement have SYP stringers, the framing's all #2btr DF from the mid '70's.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 07-12-2020 at 08:16 AM.

That stuff doesn't look that great. I paid c. $94 each (if I remember) for 16 foot 2x8s, but they were *clear* and *straightgrained* and a real treasure. This looks like framing lumber or just a cut above.

The last time I bought rough sawn Doug Fir (clear, vertical grain) it was $7.50/bf. I have bought CVG Fir from my local Building supply as a custom order. Surfaced 4 sides, beautiful stock, probably a little more pricey than buying rough sawn. I was able to buy two 24’ 2x4s for building my little mast.

The sorter lengths are mostly gone but the longer lengths are still there. 16’s, 18’s and 20’s. The 16’s were $10.35 each. This is from Mardens, a salvage place.

41EB74E7-FE8A-47F7-A452-78B1FF2D1698.jpg