Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realistic Dream Cruises

Default Re: Realistic Dream Cruises

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I forget--have you been to Nipigon yet?

If you're going as far as Reindeer, why not Great Slave Lake instead? That was my plan for summer 2020, a plan gang well a-gley indeed. The East Arm looks spectacular! Next year, I hope.

Tom
    Not sure if anyone watches "Alone" but the current season was done on Great Slave Lake. They said it was the deepest lake in North America (might have said the Americas).

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Don’t worry, you’re not upsetting this ones dreams in the least bit - who said anything about a 17’ boat?? I’m thinking more of the sort “huddled” experience being one in secure holding in a sheltered bay in a comfortable cabin with a good warm stove, a couple of oil lamps, pleasant banter, a decent radar alarm, a good stock of single malts from the days tastings, a dry warm bunk and no rush to be anywhere else at any time soon.....
    17ft boat ...I did.. it was a very uncomfortable time.. You won't need a radar alarm up there, there just isn't enough shipping. The main ones are the quite predictable Caledonian Macbraynes ferries between the mainland , or Skye and the Outer Hebridies. Though they have a habit of hitting piers.

God created the world and all it contains...
    But the Hebridies....they belong to Macbraynes..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    17ft boat ...I did.. it was a very uncomfortable time.. You won't need a radar alarm up there, there just isn't enough shipping. The main ones are the quite predictable Caledonian Macbraynes ferries between the mainland , or Skye and the Outer Hebridies. Though they have a habit of hitting piers.

God created the world and all it contains...
    But the Hebridies....they belong to Macbraynes..
    The radar alarm is part of better enjoying the “huddling” bit - so that I don’t have to keep sticking my head out in the wind and rain to see if we’re dragging anchor...
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Lofoten.

And i would really like to get the Azores off the list....... A well found dinghy can do the entire Norwegian coat, if you have a few years spare.......

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    The radar alarm is part of better enjoying the “huddling” bit - so that I don’t have to keep sticking my head out in the wind and rain to see if we’re dragging anchor...
    I count the anchor watch on the Vesper AIS as a successful addition. Used it to unwind a hooked chain a few times, not to mention just being able to look at it from the bunk when the gusts hit or the wind changes.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Lofoten.

A well found dinghy can do the entire Norwegian coat, if you have a few years spare.......
    NOW you're talking! Finland also looks like it has good possibilities for cruising the entire coast. (After you finish Norway, of course...)

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

2020-08-12 11.48.45.jpg

since a couple of years we want to circumnavigate Elba in my lugger Lucia. We would sleep ashore, on campsites when available, or on a deserted beach. I would make a platform on the boat to avoid problems. There is a guy, Henk Filippo, who organizes kayaktrips this way and we paid him a visit for information for which we also paid. He came with a pile of information and we decided not to cross the Canale di Piombino to avoid the fast ferries there and my wife planned a 3 week holiday in may. After Elba we would go north to do the Voga-Longa in Venice. Then came the Pandemics. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Lofoten.

I sailed along the coast of Norway in a large hydrographic research ship, but would love the opportunity to 'gunkhole' along the coast is a smaller boat. I didn't get to see the Lofoten Islands, but every photo I have seen makes me lust for the experience.

I also got to briefly sail in amongst the Faroe Islands on that same ship, and would like to spend some more time in the area:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

That is unbelievably beautifull and I have a copy of the plans of a 5m Nordlandboat. But my wife will never agree to drive many days in the direction of the North Pole. So for us it will remain Italy.

I don't think that a few weeks (or more, please) in a small boat in the Faroes or the Lofotens would garner any sort of desire to participate in my wife. I think that the dream is of a solo or manly cruise...

I've been lucky enough to get paid for most of my sailing. Maybe the best trip (unpaid) was from North Wales, through the Scillies, Belle Isle, Canal du Midi, Corsica, Lipari islands, Straits of Messina to Corfu. That was 3 of us in a Westerly Centaur.

Then in the same area and many years later. I did (a much changed ) Corfu, through the Corinth Canal, Athens, Hydra, Cyclades, Rhodes to Marmaris Turkey.

The next year on the same boat, I did Naples, Amalfi coast, Lipari (saw Stromboli erupt on night watch), Syracusa to Malta.

Of course there's some pretty fine cruising in Maine and I've spent a lot of time in Penobscot bay. If I could get some of my health back, I'd like to do the Maine Island trail.

I lived in Antigua, and have cruised there extensively as far south as Trinidad (for carnival). The Bahamas are really nice. I'd consider the Sea of Abaco to be a cruising area in it's own right. Then there's the Bay of Islands and SE Alaska.

A dream would be to pick up a new Swan in Finland and sail it to the Med, or the West Indies or anywhere.

Gareth, a friend of mine is a pro sailor and is currently whiling away the weeks of Covid quarantine on an 80-ft Swan in Malta. I suppose that even a velvet-lined prison is still a prison, but if one must be stuck on a boat somewhere...
    Last edited by mmd; 08-14-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Not really a life long dream cruise but the first cruise I take in my new to me 1973 C&C Mk 1 Santiago. about 48nm from St Peter's Marina in cape Breton NS. to Bayfield Marina via Canso. We're starting tomorrow by bringing her out of the Bras D'or Lakes, through the St Peter's Canal and out into the Atlantic. Saturday we'll sail her to Bayfield. Very exciting for me. I can't really describe the feeling. Hope I wasn't too far off topic here.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

^Too far off topic? Pshaw. We're all dreaming here - you are gonna go and DO it! <jealous>

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I don't think that a few weeks (or more, please) in a small boat in the Faroes or the Lofotens would garner any sort of desire to participate in my wife. I think that the dream is of a solo or manly cruise...
    You had me spending about an hour looking through images of the Faroe's Mike - looks stunning .....in a beautifully changeable sometimes very bleak kind of way....
    Last edited by Larks; 08-14-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Not really a life long dream cruise but the first cruise I take in my new to me 1973 C&C Mk 1 Santiago. about 48nm from St Peter's Marina in cape Breton NS. to Bayfield Marina via Canso. We're starting tomorrow by bringing her out of the Bras D'or Lakes, through the St Peter's Canal and out into the Atlantic. Saturday we'll sail her to Bayfield. Very exciting for me. I can't really describe the feeling. Hope I wasn't too far off topic here.
    You know with 70s boats you have to play 70s music , dress 70s and wear 70s hairstyles, right? Theres a bit of threshold back either way but... no disco, that is not advised.

I think Skara and MMD win - those pics look amazing.

We've had to can the Barrier Reef/Whitsundays cruise this winter so we're left with this local stuff;
    Attached Images Attached Images