Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Semaine du Golfe 2017

Default La Semaine du Golfe 2017

La Semaine du Golfe is a weeklong festival in Brittanny, France, and imo a must for every small boat aficionado. The place is an inland sea with many islands, villages and small towns around whose inhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhabitants are often working as volunteers to make it all happen.
    First 2 pics are in Port Anna, where we often started or ended our daily trips. It is a narrow riverlike creek but deep enough for ships. In the harbour we moored in wide islands of boat to the white buoy.
    The d.i.y. Viking boat was very interesting in my eyes. Floor planking, nothing spiled, so halfway the builders had to fill in the lacking freeboard amidship. With a lot of poly- urethane foam the boat floated and came everywhere. In the stern a Yamaha outboard made sure of that.
    In the middle of the week all the boats came to the cental island for a picknick. Here are traditional fishermen from Urk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: La Semaine du Golfe 2017

2020-07-15 11.48.55.jpg2020-07-15 13.56.00.jpg2020-07-15 13.57.28.jpg2020-07-15 14.00.09.jpg2020-07-15 14.01.16.jpg
    This was the program of the festival. Always a beautiful painting first in a style that reminds me of the in Europe very popular comics by Uderzo & Goscinny, 'Bande dessine' about the little village that Julius Caesar could never beat.
    On the second page the map of the area. Somewhere in the middle L'ile d'Arz where the picknick is held. Paella on 6 ft skillets, lots of cider, dancing, singing, reunions with old friends.
    The flotillas, here you must choose and generally the Flotille2 is what we like best, the sail and oar bunch. But because the routes cross each other you will also find yourself between the other flotillas with the Bantry Bay Gigs, the Dutch Tjotters, or the Tall Ships.
    Practically the whole prgram is in French and English and though the French appreciate you speaking French they ususally change to English to practise it on you. I find this a bit frustrating because I want to improve my French. But the older people have not often caught up with English I found.

030.jpg030.jpg039.jpg040.jpg046.jpg053.jpg
    picture1: Pick-nick under the big pine trees. The hairy guys are with the Viking diy boat
    pict 2 On the foreground an Aber, a stripbuilt predecessor from the Ilur, I think. Also several Le Seils. The lugsail as drawn by Vivier makes brailing possible.
    pict.4 The big rib is used by the Sauveteurs, youngsters who may pull you out of the water when you goofed
    pict 5 Drying out using legs

058.jpg In the morning we got a briefing, first in French, later in English on request, en then we were shuttled to our boats from the pier[ATTACH=CON The Ness Yawl with the blue sail was my neighbour on the campsite. Great sailor, explained the economics of the Morbihan: 'We, the sailors, get it free because we attract so many tourists from all over the world but mainly from France. They all have to stay somewhere, and they want lunch at lunchtime. Not fast-food but a serieus meal, with the specialties of the region. So the whole region profits from it and they like it too. They are good hosts an dprobably the only ones who can pull of such an enormous event. Most organisations would shirk from the possible risks and propose something safer without any risk and fun. Only the Bretons dare and then mostly the people from the Morbihan'.
    Aso thats us, we provide the games, 'panem et circenses'.

060.jpg063.jpg Here we had a short stopover for a swim, to wait for the tide and to chat with the others in the flotille. On the foreground the Faering from Jacques with his Dutch-French family. Somehow he manages to camp in the boat with his wife and 2 children. The Faering was built by Ger Lohmann whom I met in 1988 in Douarnenez, wher he built a similar boat. Strakes of Pin de Tourraine, clinched with iron nails.
    Next my boat 'Lucia".065.jpg This is Gerds Oselvar, I think. Gerd prefers this boat for raids, thinking many light plywood boats are a bit light for the final leg of the week where the flotille comes near the entrance of the bay where currents are fierce and people sometimes underestimate it.

DSC_0233.jpg Irrtum in last post. This is my lugger 'Lucia".

Can't wait to go back. I went in '11.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Thanks, Frank. Great pics! We were in Brittany in the Spring of 2015 but were a week early to see any of the event.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

Clint, you can return in 2021 in may. I really hope I can come also.
    thanks for the complimment Steven.
    Pez-Leon, thanks and I will find a few more.
    DSC_0234.jpg Dory in solid wood, most are plywood. The owner-builder hoped to campcruise on her with a platform and a tent, but, camping ashore was thusfar more attractive. Very openminded boat with leeboards
    Vikings againDSC_0190.jpg In his Ilur that most of know, Roger Barnes, from the Dinghy Cruising Association. The Great Man was not in a good mood said Mary Dooley, his companion: Some yachting magazine gave a bad review of his Dinghy cruising handbook. I told Mary I had written a very favorable review about the book for a Dutch sailing mag, and we hoped it would cheer him up. Later Mary,who sailed her Mirror alone was tossed about in the currents near the entrance and thrown against our boat, but when I later asked her about it she had not even DSC_0240.jpgnoticed it in the melee. Not only small boats had some trouble there, but also a big 3 master found herself suddenly behind another big ship that she was leading. Strange things happen in Brittanny.
    And a Sampan

Thanks much for this thread--enjoying it.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I was there in '07 & '09. Great fun and def orientated for the crews, not the general public. I will be back in 2021. Life got in the way between '09 an now..

Thanks Tom, doing this thread makes me realise how fantastic it all was, even the mishaps were fun when looking back. Andrew, I looked at the new Morbihan edition and it looks fine again. The Norwegian Organisation Kysten and the Venetians will be Les Invites d'Honneur and I am looking forward to be there. From 10 to the 16th of may.

If I had to be confined to sailing in only one region,Morbihan would be on the very short shortlist.

2017-05-20 07.10.25.jpg. The trip to Brittanny was also fun. I still had my all-time favorite Peugeot 205, the model that saved Peugeot. Actually it is more the kind of car that you buy as a student, and i thought it wa sfun to have a modest car, a light boat on an old trailer without mudguards. I hoped the police would see me as French and forgive me that fault. 2017-05-20 11.56.17.jpg Spectacular bridges. Glad her I did not tow a really heavy boat. A friend told me how ,when in the Alps, lorrys were honking to pass him.: He towed a 1700kg trimaran and his car was belching black clouds . He had to promise his kids to buy a new car next time. I am sorry the bridge capsized.

The Pont de Normandie is pretty spectacular isn't it?

It is, John, that where the adventure starts.
    2017-05-21 19.36.52.jpg2017-05-21 19.37.29.jpg2017-05-21 19.39.16.jpg
    We went for a walk in Vannes, where the pavillions with boatbuilders, The Invites d'Honneur were and the magazine Chasse-Maree, and there we saw this boat that was built by Gert Lohmann. I had met him in Douarnenez in 1988 where he was building a similar boat. Later, when I met him, het told me he was now working for the Chantier du Guip, a great boatyard. Originally he is from Germany, he is trained by Lance Lee from the Rockport Apprenticeshop and sent to France to help rediscovering clinker boatbuilding.( His companion, Michael...., built a nice 13 or 14 ft Whitehall from Am. Small Sailing Craft.)

Op het strand bij Port Navalo-07946.jpgAan de riemen (Ineke en Kees)-07585.jpgAn de kade van Ile d'Arz-07423.jpgDe proefvaart-07388.jpg
    my friend Ronald and his wife came with one of the little shipboats for the replica from WillenM Barentsz in Harlingen. In the first picture he is flushed out into the open ocean when on his way to Port Navalo near the entrance of the bay. He is here waiting for the tide to return. This type is a bit harder to row then my boat, but he managed it well. The boat is very much te same design as Nicks (Peerie May) model.

An de kade van Ile d'Arz-07423.jpg At the quay of Ile dÁrz, the big picknick islandBantry Yawls (Ile d'Arz)-07471.jpg Bantry Bay Gigs at the island
    Bantry Yole-07477.jpg BBgig sailing
    De lunch (Ile d'Arz)-07440.jpgDe lunch (Ile d'Arz)-07440.jpg Lunch at the picknick

Vannes (de 'Velsen' vooraan)-07815.jpgVannes-07513.jpg

De harbour of Vannes, a nice town at the top of the Morbihan, which btw means , the small sea in Breton.
    Here were the pavillions of the Invitees d'Honneur, with craft demonstrations, their own special boats, the stand from Chasse Maree.
    Several Flotilles were based here, and you can see the lateeners from the Mediterranean next to the Sinagots, the 2masted fishing luggers from the Morbihan with their red sails.

I want to add: The little boat, with the blailed sprit rig, in the first picture of my former post flies the Dutch flag: It is not the French flag upside down.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Port Anna during the eb. Sinagot on foreground, my little boat behind her and we are packing as the festival is over.

2017-05-28 16.58.24.jpg
    We took out the mast but left the mizzen because I thought it would give my boat a bit of class

2017-05-28 18.11.55.jpg
    my wife in a conversation with our neighbour from the campsite. The water is rising. Sorry for the tilted foto

2017-05-28 18.59.49.jpg

When leaving the harbour the current forced us close to a fishing boat. I only thought of the mizzen when it suddenly bent backwards behind a massive bowsprit and before I could do anything it ote out the transom. Horrible, but the boat stayed intact and hardly took on water. I asked my wife to row slowly to the ramp where the trailer was and dragged the transom and mizzen in the boat.

2017-05-29 09.12.56.jpg

The transom was almost intact and I could put it back with ducttape, and added later some screws. If the festival was not over I am sure I could have repaired it with more tape and screws and sail on. Later I did a better job at home. The mizzen as crowbar had yanked out several 3" ss screws from oak knees. To my amazement the mizzen mast and sail were unharmed.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Ouch! Glad to hear the repair worked well.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Tom, it worked out wel, and I saw a few things confirmed that I knew already: I used a piece of cheap birch ply for the transom, 12 mm thick, and glued and screwed cleats on it with a waterresistant pva glue because its is easier to use then mixing small batches of epoxy, and when I glued on the strakes I used epoxy. That is why you can see all the cleats attachhed to the planking. Epoxy is so much stronger. But I should have used the opportunity to make the transom out of better plywood when it was so easy. This spring I found small cracks where the transom must have been bent and I ground then away and put on glas-epoxy as repair. This weekend I discovered more cracks at the inside of the transom, so it is not over yet. Anyway I built the boat kind of experimental, cheap, mast from an old polyester flagpole, practically everything except the plywood for the bottom and hull strakes is hand-me-down old stuff, so I don't complain.
    I have come to the end of this thread and saw in the new WoodenBoat edition an advertisement for the Semaine du Golfe 2021. I hope this makes some of you curious enough to find out how it is. And when you cannot bring your own boat it should be easy to find a place on another boat even in advance theough the bulletin board. It often happens that a builder would gladly have another smallboat afficionado as crew. We found this out in Douarnenez in 1988 when we were in two different boats in 3 days.
    Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

Yes, I picked up a crew for the first few days, off the notice board. Lived locally and invited us all round for dinner!

It would be so nice to meet forum members next year in the Morbihan. With this category vielleicht

Yes, will try to meet up. Not sure if I will be in the sail & oar or little cruisers. Depends on how things work out with the new little cruiser. It SHOULD be in the water in a month or so.

Andrew, let's start a new thread this winter, such as 'La Semaine du Golfe 2021 in the Morbihan, who will come?' Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Andrew, let's start a new thread this winter, such as 'La Semaine du Golfe 2021 in the Morbihan, who will come?' Frank
    I'd love to come (assuming recreational traveling becomes rational again at some point), but the school year runs through the first week of June, and there'd be no chance of skipping out early. I suspect that leaves me out until I suddenly become independently wealthy and ditch the day job!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I'd love to come (assuming recreational traveling becomes rational again at some point), but the school year runs through the first week of June, and there'd be no chance of skipping out early. I suspect that leaves me out until I suddenly become independently wealthy and ditch the day job!

Tom
    Tom, would love to see you (and others...) buy a lottery ticket, works every time!

FF, at least 3 from here. Friend has done it most years since 07 and another is keen.
    Yes, the Covid thing is not going away anytime soon and our quiet westerly corner has recently been spiked by thoughtless holidaymakers. See what happens..
    A2

Great pictures, thanks for that !
    Hope I'll be able to attend in 2021 with my little Vivier pram.
    Best regards,
    Gilles

http://lapierre.skunkworks.free.fr
    http://contrails.free.fr

Fools build boats for wise men to sail