Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Are All the Small Boat Cruising Threads?

Default Where Are All the Small Boat Cruising Threads?

Man, McMullen runs off to Singapore and none of the PNW guys post anything anymore. If it weren't for The Jeff with his new First Mate on the east coast, there'd be very little armchair sailing available.

Yeadon? BB Sebens? Erik Hvalsoe? You guys doing any sailing these days? Is Sail & Oar dead, dormant, or just that much less attention-seeking now that Rowan and James are gone?

Got any OLD trips to post about, anyone? You can pretend they're recent and I'll believe you.

I'm waiting!

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 07-13-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Default Re: Where Are All the Small Boat Cruising Threads?

I'm too busy being an armchair sailor.

I think that there is quite a lot of distraction at present, that plus its the depths of winter here so not many of us are going out sailing.

Give me a few weeks though and I'll be giving Spook a quick once over before sliding her into the oggin and heading on out.
    The injured shoulder is close to ok, so I'll be rowing SEI again very soon.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I have been toying with the idea of a thread of our experiences in The Morbihan, the small-boat Mekka in France. Been there in 2011 and 2017 and have plenty pictures, to wet everyones appetite for the 2021 gathering. But I am terribly lazy, have to finish my-forever-young-dinghy, and we have a beamer now with a 2 by 1,5m screen. Perhaps. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of a thread of our experiences in The Morbihan, the small-boat Mekka in France. Been there in 2011 and 2017 and have plenty pictures, to wet everyones appetite for the 2021 gathering. But I am terribly lazy, have to finish my-forever-young-dinghy, and we have a beamer now with a 2 by 1,5m screen. Perhaps. Frank
    We’d love to hear about La Semaine Du Golfe, Frank. Hope you and yours are doing well.

I doubt I'll ever type a full account, and this was in the days of yore. My first solo sailing cruise was about halfway around Long Island and halfway back in a 20' Pennant Sloop with no engine, but a long oar for auxiliary. This was May and June of '93, and I was a fearless youth of 30 or so. A cold front the second day provided too much wind and too cold a night, but took me right out Fire Island Inlet to the Atlantic. Going west alongshore the breeze was fresh enough to blow spray backwards off the tops of the breakers. Which didn't disturb me as much as the large sloop, freshly sunken, that I saw on the way. I carried on intrepidly and entered Jones inlet to anchor for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    . Which didn't disturb me as much as the large sloop, freshly sunken, that I saw on the way.
    Absolutely nothing compares with seeing a sunk or semi submerged boat on a night passage to give a bad case of the willies. Seeing rocks under and around the boat in a flash light comes pretty close.......

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Here's a vote for a Morbihan thread!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I think that there is quite a lot of distraction at present, that plus its the depths of winter here so not many of us are going out sailing.

Give me a few weeks though and I'll be giving Spook a quick once over before sliding her into the oggin and heading on out.
    The injured shoulder is close to ok, so I'll be rowing SEI again very soon.

John Welsford
    Good luck with the shoulder rehab, John. And with everything else going on these days.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Absolutely nothing compares with seeing a sunk or semi submerged boat on a night passage to give a bad case of the willies. Seeing rocks under and around the boat in a flash light comes pretty close.......
    Hmm... How about the sound of breaking surf not far away?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Tom
    Yeah, thats not a good thing to wake up to.........nor is seeing the stars blacked out and a bow wave of a ship fast approaching ......i occasionaly re-live that moment.....

It all depends.

John would have heard surf during his entire trip along the coast. If one knows the cause, the sound can be comforting in that it confirms where the hazard lies. If one is lost, or didn't have a chart, or local knowledge, then it would be scary.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    We’d love to hear about La Semaine Du Golfe, Frank. Hope you and yours are doing well.
    Hello Steven, thanks for asking and yes, yes we are fine, and here where we live there has hardly been a Coronaproblem, R factor 0,75. Will start a thread now. Frank

Too busy sailing?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Yeah, I've been creeped out twice by sunken boats. That one was particularly scary as it was new, and the apparent cause was nearby. What I first thought to be an unfamiliar buoy turned out to be a deadhead, bobbing in the swell. It's proximity to the wreck was ominous, it's warning to me was that I could easily lose my little boat and find myself swimming.

Man, McMullen runs off to Singapore and none of the PNW guys post anything anymore. If it weren't for The Jeff with his new First Mate on the east coast, there'd be very little armchair sailing available.

Yeadon? BB Sebens? Erik Hvalsoe? You guys doing any sailing these days? Is Sail & Oar dead, dormant, or just that much less attention-seeking now that Rowan and James are gone?

Got any OLD trips to post about, anyone? You can pretend they're recent and I'll believe you.

I'm waiting!

Tom
    Zimmerman only writes for money these days. McMullen's advancing age keeps him off the water. I'm still sailing consistently but like Salinger, refuse to publish. No one has seen Hvalsoe since the Obama administration.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Zimmerman only writes for money these days. McMullen's advancing age keeps him off the water. I'm still sailing consistently but like Salinger, refuse to publish. No one has seen Hvalsoe since the Obama administration.
    Well, you've lost your recluse status with this post anyway, so you might as well give us another Haverchuck cruising thread!

How's your boat doing for you? Any changes, or things you're doing differently now?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by ff View Post
    i have been toying with the idea of a thread of our experiences in the morbihan,
    mor-bi-han...mor-bi-han

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    mor-bi-han...mor-bi-han
    You know he DID start a thread, right?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Here ya go. This should keep you occupied for a couple more years. This is Haverchuck ghosting northbound in Bellingham Channel, yet due to a tide rip I'm still making 6.5 knots over the ground.

IMG_5464.jpg

You know he DID start a thread, right?

Tom
    Thanks Tom, I am just around the corner. Frank

Here ya go. This should keep you occupied for a couple more years. This is Haverchuck ghosting northbound in Bellingham Channel, yet due to a tide rip I'm still making 6.5 knots over the ground.

My question is, why bother with a sailing rig when you can do 6.5 knots without it? I used to think you PNW guys were b@d@sses for dealing with all those "tides" but it turns out they are nothing but a free ride for people who don't even have to bother sailing.

I will adjust my perceptions of your b@d@ssery to an appropriate level. Thanks for posting!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Offcenterharbor.com has an excellent video about a cruise along the Maine coast taken last summer.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft
    Yeah, I've been creeped out twice by sunken boats. That one was particularly scary as it was new, and the apparent cause was nearby. What I first thought to be an unfamiliar buoy turned out to be a deadhead, bobbing in the swell. It's proximity to the wreck was ominous, it's warning to me was that I could easily lose my little boat and find myself swimming.
    Recently I saw one of those unfamiliar bouys. Even though it was a perfect summer day it was still a little creepy seeing a boat in that position. Thankfully all the passengers had been scooped up by a passing boat by the time I came by.

One other time I was rowing my canoe around a marshy island and I caught a glimpse of a barnacle encrusted Carolina skiff slipping by underneath. That freaked me out because there couldn't have been more than a foot between us.

Tom, I was so moved by your call for more reports that I wrote up a trip from 2019. Over the last 72 hours, it has distinguished itself as uniquely unpopular, drawing 65 views and zero responses.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ake-April-2019

But don't say I didn't try!

James

Quote Originally Posted by pez_leon View Post
    Tom, I was so moved by your call for more reports that I wrote up a trip from 2019. Over the last 72 hours, it has distinguished itself as uniquely unpopular, drawing 65 views and zero responses.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ake-April-2019

But don't say I didn't try!

James
    Well, somehow I missed that. I'll be making it 66 pretty soon--thanks!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Makes me remember Dave Perillo's cruise in his Navigator. Anyone remember that, there used to be a great account online.
    He shipped the boat from NZ to Fiji and cruised the Yasawas for a few months. Time to come home he gave the boat away to a local family. It's still there working for a living, we saw it in 17 and went to see it at its market garden mooring last year. It's had a couple of bottoms in it since Dave had it, a cyclone or two did damage.

Yep, I read Dave Perillo's story a whole bunch. Nice to hear the boat is still going in some form.

After living on a tropical atoll for 1.5 years or so, I found that I was far less interested in cruising there than I am in more northern latitudes (45 degrees and up) with pine trees and granite. That equatorial sun is INTENSE! And with the water so warm and clear, I didn't feel much need for a boat. I did LOTS of swimming, several miles a day along the reefs.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

If anyone wants to pay me for writing this, PM me and I'll let you know where to send the cheque (or check if being sent from the USA).
    Alex

"“I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw” " Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2 - Shakespeare

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    If anyone wants to pay me for writing this, PM me and I'll let you know where to send the cheque (or check if being sent from the USA).
    Tim will be sending payment promptly, I'm sure.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I take 41% + any material fees, but okay, I'm in. Alex has a solid upside as a writer.

I take 41% + any material fees, but okay, I'm in. Alex has a solid upside as a writer.
    There you go. Get writing, Zimmerman!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

That's actually a better deal than any traditional book publisher. It's shocking how small a fraction the author gets out of what you pay for the book over the counter. Not just me - any author of traditional paper books.

Somebody asked me the other day what I would do if I won the lottery. My answer - keep writing until the money runs out.
    Alex

"“I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw” " Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2 - Shakespeare

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Yes, they’re good terms but you should know that I know nothing about the task at hand. Jokes on you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    That's actually a better deal than any traditional book publisher. It's shocking how small a fraction the author gets out of what you pay for the book over the counter. Not just me - any author of traditional paper books.

Somebody asked me the other day what I would do if I won the lottery. My answer - keep writing until the money runs out.
    Did you consider publishing your book on your own? That's what I ended up doing--hired out Dick Wynne of Lodestar Books to do the expert typesetting, hired an editor and illustrator with WBF connections, and that was all great fun; a real Forum collaboration, with ME in control as absolute overlord! I ended up making a substantially bigger chunk of money than had I taken the traditional publishing offer I turned down even if that had sold 10 times more copies, which is doubtful.

And now I am the proud owner of a library of more than 1,000 books--more than 400 of which I wrote myself!

Reminds me--I have to ORDER a copy of your book. Today. Right now. That will be my sole accomplishment of the day, in fact.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com