Thread: From the Psychiatric Times

Default From the Psychiatric Times

Two articles, neither of which mentions our President:

What Lies Behind: The Hidden Suffering of the Psychopath

July 7, 2020
    Willem H. J. Martens, MD, PhD

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/vie...50ZWxvcy5uZXQ=

Psychopathy is characterized by diagnostic features such as superficial charm, high intelligence, poor judgment and failure to learn from experience, pathological egocentricity and incapacity for love, lack of remorse or shame, impulsivity, grandiose sense of self-worth, pathological lying, manipulative behavior, poor self-control, promiscuous sexual behavior, juvenile delinquency, and criminal versatility, among others.1,2 As a consequence of these criteria, the image of the psychopath is that of a cold, heartless, inhuman being. But do all psychopaths show a complete lack of normal emotional capacities and empathy?

Like healthy people, many psychopaths love their parents, spouse, children, and pets in their own way, but they have difficulty in loving and trusting the rest of the world. Furthermore, psychopaths suffer emotionally as a consequence of separation, divorce, death of a beloved person, or dissatisfaction with their own deviant behavior.....

10 Things to Know About Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Jul 09, 2020
    Giancarlo Dimaggio, MD

Lack of empathy is a commonly known feature of narcissistic personality disorder. Relationships are typically shallow and difficult to maintain. What are some other features of NPD? More in this case presentation.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/vie...ality-disorder
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Default Re: From the Psychiatric Times

But that could have, as an illustration.

As I understand it... the NPD sufferer spends their whole life feeling fearful. Of being exposed. Of their own incompetence. Of failure. And they develop beefy and elaborate defense mechanisms. And they STILL can't tolerate being questioned, thwarted, or disrespected.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    And they STILL can't tolerate being questioned, thwarted, or disrespected.
    We have/had forumites like that.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    We have/had forumites like that.
    I've heard such tales... but never seen one. Have you? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

^ I could not possibly comment.

It might be considered rude.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    ^ I could not possibly comment.

It might be considered rude.
    <snort>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There's a lot to be said in favor of mandatory psychiatric fitness tests for all persons running for state or federal offices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    There's a lot to be said in favor of mandatory psychiatric fitness tests for all persons running for state or federal offices.
    You may be right. Right now... that notion looks mighty tempting. Just remember that every regulation is a two-edged-sword...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

You may be right. Right now... that notion looks mighty tempting. Just remember that every regulation is a two-edged-sword...
    I don't see the harm. What are you seeing David?

The law of unintended consequences if nothing else.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Aside from anything else... there is a lot of subjective, ah, judgement, involved in the diagnosis of mental health problems. Who gets to select the physicians involved? How do we ensure their neutrality WRT a political issue?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Yes, what is 'normal' and what is standard variation?

"The whole world is mad except me and thee, and I'm not comletely certain about thee"

Unintended consequences; two-edged sword? One could see, for example, the recrudescence of the Soviet-style Therapeutic State.

Stalin dealt with dissidents by shooting, hanging or sending them to the gulag.

Later came more antiseptic measures. Enemies of the state were judged mentally ill and sent to special psychiatric hospitals. Treatment included injections that were designed for punishment, not amelioration.

This was described in what became known as the Bukovski Papers.

As for Trump: He would not get many defenders from the Right, given his continued deviationism from the orthodoxies of the Republican Establishment. Leftish psychiatrists would have their way with his "mental fittness" scorecard.

Psychopaths and sociopaths are masters at gaming those sorts of tests - they have made a career out of it, one might say.

Exams for police officers, for example, are aimed at screening out bullies - with very little success.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpstalker View Post
    Unintended consequences; two-edged sword? One could see, for example, the recrudescence of the Soviet-style Therapeutic State.

Stalin dealt with dissidents by shooting, hanging or sending them to the gulag.

Later came more antiseptic measures. Enemies of the state were judged mentally ill and sent to special psychiatric hospitals. Treatment included injections that were designed for punishment, not amelioration.

This was described in what became known as the Bukovski Papers.

As for Trump: He would not get many defenders from the Right, given his continued deviationism from the orthodoxies of the Republican Establishment. Leftish psychiatrists would have their way with his "mental fittness" scorecard.
    Yes.

You have described a worst case scenario well.

In the hands of ideologues, demagogues, and those who care not for integrity (A Stalin, a Trump, a Ceausescu, or a Pinochet)... a disaster waiting to happen.

In the hands of those with serious intentions... and carefully done... some potential benefits.

I would have to see one heck of a convincing plan before I'd want to open the gates to such potential abuse. My first reaction is that it wouldn't be worth the risk. But I'd listen to arguments.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

But I'd listen to arguments.
    And so you should- you start plenty of 'em JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    And so you should- you start plenty of 'em JayInOz
    Well thank you, but I fear you give me too much credit. I couldn't do it alone <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yes.

You have described a worst case scenario well.

In the hands of ideologues, demagogues, and those who care not for integrity (A Stalin, a Trump, a Ceausescu, or a Pinochet)... a disaster waiting to happen.

In the hands of those with serious intentions... and carefully done... some potential benefits.

I would have to see one heck of a convincing plan before I'd want to open the gates to such potential abuse. My first reaction is that it wouldn't be worth the risk. But I'd listen to arguments.
    The ratings for Ceausescu's swan song were off the charts.

Trump should be so lucky.

Interesting new documentary on the topic. Excellent review in Variety --

‘#Unfit: The Psychology of Donald Trump’ Review: A Documentary Dissects the President’s Malignant Narcissism

https://variety.com/2020/film/review...ew-1234744187/

Trump, as Dan Partland’s film explains, is a malignant narcissist. (Has there ever been a DSM diagnosis that sounded like more of a direct insult?) The film details the four qualities in Trump that define that syndrome: his paranoia (the feeling that any journalist who asks him a challenging question, or any staff member who doesn’t kiss his ring, is out to get him); his anti-social personality disorder (the constant lying, the lack of remorse about even the most destructive things he does); the sadism (the thousands of vicious attacks and insults in his tweets); and…well, the narcissism (do I need to detail that?).

In addition, the film analyzes his propensity to create and live in his own reality. It explores his absence of empathy — which, of course, is the defining quality of the sociopath. (They’re not insane; they just don’t care about you — or anyone else.) And it compares him to Hitler and Mussolini, and to the authoritarian leaders of our own time.

As headlines, most of these insights may sound like very familiar news. Yet “#Unfit” finds freshly perceptive nuances within them. Rick Reilly, the veteran sports writer and author of “Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump,” says that Trump is “among our best golfing presidents,” and so he asks a question: Why would Trump need to cheat at golf? But cheat he does. According to Reilly, Trump jerry-rigs his golf cart to go twice as fast as any of the others, so that he can, if he chooses, be the first to the tee and more able to manipulate the results. He’ll plant his mark in the wrong place, or deny he hit a ball into a lake. He’s claimed championship wins when he lost, or where he was the only player. And then there’s this: He tried to cheat Tiger Woods. No one says the well-being of America is riding on Trump’s sleaziness on the green. Yet the film suggests that if Trump will cheat at golf, he’ll cheat at anything.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Maybe this song could be a plea for sympathy for the devil.

Pore feller.

You may be right... a two-edged-sword...
    Which is why you place it between the ribs

I'll leave it to mental health professionals to pity such miserable and potentially dangerous people.

The rest of us need to recognize such miserable creatures and find ways to separate ourselves from them and prevent them from harming others. Rule #1: Do not vote for obvious psychic-cripples when they are running for public office.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I'll leave it to mental health professionals to pity such miserable and potentially dangerous people.

The rest of us need to recognize such miserable creatures and find ways to separate ourselves from them and prevent them from harming others. Rule #1: Do not vote for obvious psychic-cripples when they are running for public office.
    Problem is, part of the syndrome is becoming convincing.

A con-man becomes almost supernaturally adept at deceiving, misleading, and stringing people on. Some people seem to have the ability to detect the bs, others... not so much. The decades-long push toward the New Feudalism has left a lot of people hurting. And a con-man like Trump offers easily-grasped answers, a path forward out of their quite legitimate fear & pain, and solutions that allow you to blame others (even though they are the wrong 'culprits').

Obvious to some is not obvious to others.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks