Thread: I want a new fishing boat design.

Default I want a new fishing boat design.

23 years ago, I built a 14' Sam Devlin stitch and glue Cackler. It's a garvey type hull with a 15 hp merc. It has served me well, but I'd like something new and a bit different.
    The garvey hull is great for stability, easy to stand and walk around in. However, it plows through the water at slow speeds and when I can get it up on plane, it's a wet boat and smacks into waves like hell.
    I'm thinking of the 15' 6" Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff and the Devlin Candlefish 16. I'd lengthen the Jericho Bay to 16' 6" to give a bit more room. The Candlefish might be a bit more stable, but the Jericho Bay is much nicer looking and would handle chop better I believe. Jericho Bay is strip planked and the Candlefish is stitch and glue.
    I'd want to put a 25 h.p. 4-stroke on it with electric start, power lift and wheel steering.
    Here's a picture of the Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff stretched to 16' 6". I wouldn't do the center console, though.
    Any other ideas for a good fishing boat of this size?
    BurnsJerichoFirstRideweb-1500x794.jpg
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: I want a new fishing boat design.

Hi,

a stretched 14.5 Gardner Semi Dory?

or a Bowdidge Edge Tracker. But they need bigger Outboards. Unless you stay with the 365.
    Last edited by koederfischgriller; 07-11-2020 at 07:59 AM.

The Candlefish carries some V back to the transom, and that's where V counts while planing. The Jericho Bay is flat at the transom which wont solve or alleviate pounding to any degree.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Edge Trackers have 20 at the Transom. They'l neet some grunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    The Candlefish carries some V back to the transom, and that's where V counts while planing. The Jericho Bay is flat at the transom which wont solve or alleviate pounding to any degree.

Kevin
    Good point on the planing. The Candlefish does have a little bit of V towards the transom. The Jericho does have a bit of 'hog' built into the stern portion of the hull that supposedly helps it get up on plane faster.
    One problem with the Candlefish is the very wide beam, 6'10". That seems a bit extreme and I would think would cut down on efficiency although it must be stable as hell to fish from. Also, it would be a tight squeeze in my shop. My 14' Cackler has a 5'9" beam and the Jericho a 5'2" beam. The Jericho would be the most efficient hull to drive but might be less stable at rest for fishing.
    Design choice is always a trade off. The search continues.

Handy Billy would be a good fishing boat, if you can fit an 18 footer in there.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Handy Billy would be a good fishing boat, if you can fit an 18 footer in there.
    With only a 5' beam, it will fit in my shop just fine. The length is no problem. A design worth a look.

I just went through all the on-line Small Boat Monthly issues. Only the Jericho Bay and a Tango 17 seem to fit my needs. Tango 17 skiff is nice, but the beam of 6' 2" still makes it a tight fit in the shop, but doable. It has sponsons on the transom to help with lift but leaves no room to mount a trolling motor next to the gas engine.
    Lots of flat bottomed skiff in those issues, but who wants to pound into waves?

Bateau Classic 17 design......modified to a center console. Very comfortable ride.... v-bottom....60 hp pushes it easily..... the high freeboard and the transom well keeps water out.
    Resized_20200709_161049_8042.jpgc17.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Any other ideas for a good fishing boat of this size?
    Have you seen/looked at Gartside's BOSUN design?

https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...son-design-190

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    Have you seen/looked at Gartside's BOSUN design?

https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...son-design-190
    Looks interesting. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I'm more awake. Perfect length and beam for me.

I've been emailing back and forth with Sam Devlin and it seems that the Candlefish comes in both a 6'10" beam or a 5'9" beam.
    Still can't make up my mind between that or the Jericho. There's a couple of other stitch and glue skiffs out there that would do also.

Recently added full length spray rails to a JBL , 16'2" stretch, made a big difference in planning and keeping dry, soft chine boats like a JBL really need them.

i built a Jericho glued ply lapstrake . I find it to be stable, and the designed hook to the bottom really works, always on plane. I had a mid seventies 20 hp merc , remote, a great power to weight ratio at about 115 pounds or so.Sadly motorless at the moment. some visual impairment with the sheer sweep at the bow, so i sit on a cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by jtb View Post
    i built a Jericho glued ply lapstrake . I find it to be stable, and the designed hook to the bottom really works, always on plane. I had a mid seventies 20 hp merc , remote, a great power to weight ratio at about 115 pounds or so.Sadly motorless at the moment. some visual impairment with the sheer sweep at the bow, so i sit on a cushion.
    Is this the one featured in Small Boats? A beautiful boat. I was thinking of doing the boat in glued lap myself. Was your 20 hp enough power? I was thinking of a 25 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Recently added full length spray rails to a JBL , 16'2" stretch, made a big difference in planning and keeping dry, soft chine boats like a JBL really need them.
    That sounds like good advice. Exactly were did you place the spray rails? How many hp engine do you use and do you think it's adequate? Thanks.

Hi,

Flo Mo drew a new fishing boat. Low speed hull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcwgWDaojgE

like it very much!

No , not the the boat in the feature. 20 hp was a nice fit, enough with 2 people and with more I just cruise slower. 25 hp would probably be ok, just that the physical weight jumps from around 120lb to near 155 lb., no porpoising with the 20hp, for me anyway

I pulled the trigger today and ordered the plans for the Jericho Bay skiff. What made up my mind was re-reading Sam Devlin's book on stitch and glue building. I'd be up to my elbows in epoxy and epoxy fillers with all the fillets and taping needed. It brought back memories of building the Cackler. The end result is nice, but the process is messy as hell. The Jericho uses epoxy also, but just to sheath the hull.
    That and also the fact that I'd be trying to handle big floppy panels of 9mm plywood all by myself. It really takes two in order to stitch one of those boats together without a big hassle especially with my lousy rotator cuff tendons.
    Many thanks to woodpile and jtb for answering my PMs and providing very valuable input.
    I'll get a building thread going in a month or two once I really get into it.

How is the Jericho Skiff build going? This is one of the designs I am considering... for some of the same reasons you point out. Seems like strips over ply might be a fun way to build. I have built 4 plywood skiffs over the years and the strip process might be easier for the old bones to handle.
    Semper Fi - Je Suis Prest!
    "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man." (Acts 17:24 ESV)

Great thread, Rich. Thanks for the initial comments on Sam's Cackler garvey. For some reason, I find the garveys really attractive, but not the wet and pounding part. Headed for your Jericho build thread.
    Koeder, that Flo Mo design sure seems simple enough. Thanks for the link.
    Over the years, I have bought plans for Sam's Candlefish, Hylan's Big Ben Garvey, Walt Barron's Lumberyard Skiff and Bolger's Diablo, Cartopper and Gloucester Gull rowing dory.
    Only boat I actually built was the old DFPA pram, if anyone remembers those plans from the 1960s! Hauled a lot of fish over the gunnels in that little toot.

I think the Jericho bay 16 ' it is a good choice. It is bigger, comfortable and it' s made with excellent materials.