Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Opening Plans for a COVID-19 School Year

Default Re-Opening Plans for a COVID-19 School Year

I'm on my district's committee for planning how we will do school next year. Our recent in-person meeting was an interesting experience, and probably represents a typical mindset for small rural school districts in northern Wisconsin.

1. We had 8 people meeting in a room--2 administrators and 6 teachers. I was the only one wearing a mask. No one mentioned this fact for the first 90 minutes of our meeting. There was some physical distance the way the tables were set up (1 per table), but one pair was within 3' of each other, and another pair within 2'.

2. We were told to plan for in-person school, 5 days per week (just a starting point; we'll be planning some online and mixed scenarios as well). Many recommendations from various groups (CDC, American Academy of Pediatrics, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, county health guidelines, etc) were rejected out of hand as being impractical at the high school level.

For example:

-Group students in small cohorts that stay together all day.
    -Have students remain in one classroom, and have teachers rotate.
    -One-way traffic in halls (too hard to enforce, makes little sense for our school layout, where students might need to go all the way around the school to get to a class one or two doors down in the opposite direction)
    -Physical distance of 6'--impossible in a classroom setting.
    -Plexiglass barriers to shield teachers from students (cost prohibitive)

None of that is meant to be criticism of the district--I pretty much agree that these things would be impossible to achieve, or counterproductive to pursue. Eventually it became clear that we all pretty much agreed on that.

So, at an appropriate moment (and a little surprised it hadn't been mentioned yet), I brought up masks, and how we'd need to be vigilant and rather strict about enforcing mask use while indoors for all students and staff.

In my next post I'll go into detail about how THAT turned out...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Default Re: Re-Opening Plans for a COVID-19 School Year

First reaction was, everyone started to explain that while they weren't wearing masks, they always wore them when they had to. A couple of people explained that they were sitting 6' apart so they were safe.

"No, you're not," I said. "The floor tiles are 1' square. You are sitting within 3 tiles of each other, and you (different pair) are within 2' of each other."

That kind of wound down.

Then it was explained that we "can't be too hasty about assuming students will be wearing masks" and that "there will be a lot of resistance from parents about that, and from some of the school board."

So, we've already agreed we can't do anything else to protect students and staff. And now the one thing we actually could do was receiving a less than enthusiastic reception from most people in the room. And this was the district's COVID-19 Planning Team!

Some actual discussion of mask possibilities and challenges did follow (who will launder them, etc.), but I was astounded that masks weren't immediately seen by the entire team as the logical next step, since we basically had to reject all of the other steps.

I suspect this will be interesting as planning goes on...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I'm waiting . . . . I would simply file a complaint that non-mask wearers are creating a hostel work environment.

So, a couple of questions:

For any parents here, what kinds of measures would it take for you to feel safe sending your kids to in-person classes?

What would it take for you to feel safe putting your kids on a bus every day?

For everyone:

What measures would it take for you to feel safe working or studying in an environment where you're in close contact with about 100 students per day?

How would you balance safety and practicality if you had to run in-person classes 5 days a week?

Thanks,

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I'm waiting . . . . I would simply file a complaint that non-mask wearers are creating a hostel work environment.
    Yeah, but I've taken that kind of approach before and lost more than one job doing it.

I'm pretty sure I've already painted a bullseye on myself as a potential troublemaker after that meeting. I only started teaching here last November--it'd be nice to last more than a year.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Masks, Masks, Masks, and physical distance. Hard to do in a school environ. Kids are kids, they're not going to remember all this. That what makes this so hard. I'm going crazy staying home and I'm an old man ! I can't imagine what my kids are going through trying to keep the grandkids from climbing the walls! I don't know the answers but I know that we have to be more careful than your leaders would like you to be. Stay safe, be safe.

Pretty much what I thought every school board meeting was like.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Already posted this on another COVID-school thread, but it fits here, too:

So, this was interesting. Part of what our committee is working on is creating a staff survey to solicit feedback from staff about what measures and policies they'd like to see in relation to COVID-19 for next year. We were given a Google doc and asked to write potential survey questions. There were 13 questions total, 2 of them suggestions from me.

Questions were posted anonymously, but I think there is a function that allows anyone to see the history of a shared doc, so could find out who added which questions.

That doc has now been edited with a comment saying that 11 of the questions were incorporated into the staff survey. These all dealt with policies and procedures that assume in-person classes (should studens be required to wear masks, would you be comfortable with a class size of over 30 students, etc.) My questions were the ones not included. Here they are:

Should we implement in-person classes if current conditions continue? (i.e. the state is seeing a surge in new COVID-19 cases, with 3 days in a row recently setting new records, as well as a record 10.1% of COVID-19 tests coming up positive)

Should the state and/or county meet CDC and federal guidelines for safe re-opening, which presupposed a 14-day decline among new cases, before implementing in-person classes?

It appears that in-person classes may be a done deal despite no consideration of other options. So much for a real discussion...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    It appears that in-person classes may be a done deal despite no consideration of other options. So much for a real discussion...
    There is no need for you to show up if you think conditions are unsafe.

My granddaughter starts college this fall. If she does it in person or not depends on how safe she and her mother feel. She can come to work with her mom, take classes remotely, and have 3 college graduates help her.

I have no reason to spend time with large groups. But in small groups I avoid people and wear a mask.
    Life is complex.

Keep Digging Donald ---

Voters reject Trump's insistence that schools reopen

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...schools-362258

A majority of voters oppose the Trump administration's demand that K-12 schools and day care centers be fully opened for in-person instruction during the coming academic year, according to a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

In addition, a decisive 65 percent of voters rejected President Donald Trump's threat to cut federal funding for schools that don't reopen, agreeing instead that schools need resources for continued virtual learning or other types of instruction. Only 22 percent said schools should have their federal money reduced if they don’t fully reopen.

The findings come as Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos dial up their drive for a return to in-person instruction in a bid to revive the economy, even as coronavirus cases skyrocket. On Tuesday, DeVos with Vice President Mike Pence visited Louisiana State University to again argue that college students should be back on campus. But the poll findings indicate that most voters are not persuaded.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm now in hour three of a webex school board meeting. Webexing has somehow made the typically excruciatingly redundant board meeting even more so. Plus the chat-text-sidebar, which began well enough, resembled facebook commentary in the second hour and has now gone twitterish.

The board is happily passing the buck to the governor, while stopping just shy of advocating for mass parental defiance of the state's mandates. Really I think they're hoping that a lawyer-parent in the audience files some sort of law suit in the morning.

The teachers are being pulled in every conceivable direction.
    The true patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    There is no need for you to show up if you think conditions are unsafe.
    Do I actually need to point out how completely wrong you are about that?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    The board is happily passing the buck to the governor, while stopping just shy of advocating for mass parental defiance of the state's mandates. Really I think they're hoping that a lawyer-parent in the audience files some sort of law suit in the morning.

The teachers are being pulled in every conceivable direction.
    Sounds familiar... Thanks for posting.

www.tompamperin.com

Do I actually need to point out how completely wrong you are about that?
    You thinking I am wrong does not make me wrong.

You may have a choice to make. I am not going to tell you which choice to make. I will simply tell you that you like so many others have a choice to make.
    Life is complex.

OK, an update from our latest "COVID-19 Leadership Comittee" today.

1. Once again, we met in the same small room, and once again I was the only one wearing a mask. Once again, no one mentioned this during the 2-hour meeting.

2. As I thought from last time, the district has committed to a 5-day in-person school week for September, and our task is simply to decide what that will look like. Online and mixed in-person/online models are off the table. The principal needs to submit our plan for in-person school at an early August school board meeting.

3. Apparently the district's legal experts have told administrators that we will not be allowed to require masks for students. The rationale seems to be that students are required by law to attend school. So, it would not be legal to force them to wear masks since they don't have the option to refuse. This seems incredibly wrong-headed to me, as we apparently can lawfully require students to follow a dress code, behave in certain specific ways, etc. But somehow the district lawyers seem to have decided that if we require students to wear masks, and they refuse, and we ask them to leave, then the district will be sued (by some conservative group stepping in to "represent" the parents). And the district will lose that lawsuit.

This gets even sillier. Apparently if students will need to engage in high-risk behavior (small group work, labs, woodworking, etc) then we CAN require them to wear masks for those activities. I was about to point out that sitting in a classroom 2' apart without masks for 45 minutes was ALSO "high'risk behavior" but the principal stopped me with a quick "I know what you're going to say, Tom." And he did know.

3. I was at first bothered by the district's decision to require daily symptom checks of staff, but NOT students. Then, after a bit more thought, I figured that's probably not a battle worth fighting. Most students who are infected (and random testing data from Sweden suggests infection rates are roughly equal for students and adults) will NOT show symptoms anyway, so symptom checks wouldn't help much.

4. I suggested the possibility of multiple shifts at school--9th and 10th grade in the morning, 11th and 12th grade in the afternoon, even a third evening shift--that would limit group sizes. One teacher (kind of an anti-masker from what I've seen) was immediately hostile to the idea. The principal said (probably correctly) that it might be possible, but that there wasn't enough time to figure out the details and set it up. Which begs the question: Why in the world didn't we start planning a variety of models in May?

5. We did send out the staff survey--minus my two questions about whether it actually was safe to conduct in-person classes in the first place.

I had a long private conversation with another teacher later to discuss whether there would be any productive way to raise concerns (chiefly, for me, the lack of masks) with the powers that be. The answer, apparently: no. Every school in our athletic conference is going maskless as well.

It seems the superintendent (a good guy) is pressuring the county health department to bring out a county-wide mandate for masks in schools. He sees that as the only realistic option, given the legal advice he's gotten and the parent comments he got about masks on the survey. It will be interesting to see how many staff survey responses come out in favor of masks, and whether that will change the district policy.

Frankly, I'm astounded that a district would even CONSIDER opening for 5-days-a-week in-person classes at full capacity, with no realistic distancing or cohorts, and NOT require masks. That seems incredibly irresponsible, in light of Wisconsin's current conditions: steady record highs in daily new cases (5 in the past week, I think, with a high of 900+ today), steady increases in the 7-day average of new cases, steady increases in the percentage of positive tests, etc.

The other teacher I talked to is optimistic that the county will step in with a mask mandate. We'll see, I guess.

Once again, my overall impression is that we are clinging to the idea that the "old normal" is still a realistic option, with no willingness to consider radical reforms that might be more effective.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

No, it doesn't. But you are wrong nevertheless.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

aaaaand I'm back again in hour three of the school board meeting webex.

It started well, three EXTRAORDINARILY QUALIFIED guest speakers with a lot of good information and insight. excellent discussions, contributions from educators and parents.

One idea which has gained traction with a large faction of the community is that IF the state mandates everyone go to school, that "school" be as outdoors-based as possible... and now two board members are foaming at the mouth about being a soft target for the next school shooting.

Yeah, that escalated pretty quickly.
    The true patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

So Jakes school has gone online only for the first 9 weeks of class. A reasonable idea since GA currently has increasing case numbers and many local hospitals are already on diversion status due to capacity issues. I'm good with that. They had cancelled his marching band camp, something that I wasn't keen on them having but jake was attending. That was two days ago.

Fast forward to this evening. School is still on line only, but the football season will still continue and now marching band is back on because the athletic director doesn't think it's a good idea to have games without it. This is insanity. You can keep 6" distance while playing football? Come on.

Jake is flying back to NH tomorrow. The band director voiced many concerns but he told me in confidence that he felt like his concerns fell on deaf ears. By god them southerners are gonna have their football.

An email has been sent to the principal, and i will likely send to the school board as well as the athletic director. None of it makes sense to me.
    Tom

What kind of mask were you wearing? The kind that protects you or the kind that protects others? The kind that needs changed every couple of hours?

Which school district are you talking about? C Falls?

OK, an update from our latest "COVID-19 Leadership Comittee" today.

1. Once again, we met in the same small room, and once again I was the only one wearing a mask. Once again, no one mentioned this during the 2-hour meeting.

2. As I thought from last time, the district has committed to a 5-day in-person school week for September, and our task is simply to decide what that will look like. Online and mixed in-person/online models are off the table. The principal needs to submit our plan for in-person school at an early August school board meeting.

3. Apparently the district's legal experts have told administrators that we will not be allowed to require masks for students. The rationale seems to be that students are required by law to attend school. So, it would not be legal to force them to wear masks since they don't have the option to refuse. This seems incredibly wrong-headed to me, as we apparently can lawfully require students to follow a dress code, behave in certain specific ways, etc. But somehow the district lawyers seem to have decided that if we require students to wear masks, and they refuse, and we ask them to leave, then the district will be sued (by some conservative group stepping in to "represent" the parents). And the district will lose that lawsuit.

This gets even sillier. Apparently if students will need to engage in high-risk behavior (small group work, labs, woodworking, etc) then we CAN require them to wear masks for those activities. I was about to point out that sitting in a classroom 2' apart without masks for 45 minutes was ALSO "high'risk behavior" but the principal stopped me with a quick "I know what you're going to say, Tom." And he did know.

3. I was at first bothered by the district's decision to require daily symptom checks of staff, but NOT students. Then, after a bit more thought, I figured that's probably not a battle worth fighting. Most students who are infected (and random testing data from Sweden suggests infection rates are roughly equal for students and adults) will NOT show symptoms anyway, so symptom checks wouldn't help much.

4. I suggested the possibility of multiple shifts at school--9th and 10th grade in the morning, 11th and 12th grade in the afternoon, even a third evening shift--that would limit group sizes. One teacher (kind of an anti-masker from what I've seen) was immediately hostile to the idea. The principal said (probably correctly) that it might be possible, but that there wasn't enough time to figure out the details and set it up. Which begs the question: Why in the world didn't we start planning a variety of models in May?

5. We did send out the staff survey--minus my two questions about whether it actually was safe to conduct in-person classes in the first place.

I had a long private conversation with another teacher later to discuss whether there would be any productive way to raise concerns (chiefly, for me, the lack of masks) with the powers that be. The answer, apparently: no. Every school in our athletic conference is going maskless as well.

It seems the superintendent (a good guy) is pressuring the county health department to bring out a county-wide mandate for masks in schools. He sees that as the only realistic option, given the legal advice he's gotten and the parent comments he got about masks on the survey. It will be interesting to see how many staff survey responses come out in favor of masks, and whether that will change the district policy.

Frankly, I'm astounded that a district would even CONSIDER opening for 5-days-a-week in-person classes at full capacity, with no realistic distancing or cohorts, and NOT require masks. That seems incredibly irresponsible, in light of Wisconsin's current conditions: steady record highs in daily new cases (5 in the past week, I think, with a high of 900+ today), steady increases in the 7-day average of new cases, steady increases in the percentage of positive tests, etc.

The other teacher I talked to is optimistic that the county will step in with a mask mandate. We'll see, I guess.

Once again, my overall impression is that we are clinging to the idea that the "old normal" is still a realistic option, with no willingness to consider radical reforms that might be more effective.

Tom

No, it doesn't. But you are wrong nevertheless.
    I noticed your poll.

I also noticed that the Florida teachers union is going to court over the issue.

I hope you get what you want.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrcrvrp1 View Post
    Which school district are you talking about? C Falls?
    Nope. I taught there for 10 years, but teach in a different district in a different county now. Not going to say more specifically than that.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Does the school board have a count of the number of teachers with co-morbid conditions that place them at higher risk?

Does the school have a plan for what to do if a teacher gets sick and dies? I'm speculating, but its possible this would discourage substitute teachers from taking the job.

The board should be thinking about older teachers who are well known in the community. What is the plan if one of them becomes seriously ill? You don't want to be the group of people saying "we never thought about that."

Same question as above, but the teacher gets sick and is disabled. This happens to about 1 in 5 people who get COVID-19.

Is there a plan for what to do if one child in a family with more than one child gets sick and receives a COVID-19 diagnosis?

Consider liability, if the actions of the town either kill or disable someone, and other towns in other states are more strict and do not, will the town get hit with a lawsuit?

Start with those, it will get people thinking.

Figment is correct about outside classes, if you ran outside classes for the first month or two it would help a lot. Many universities are putting up open sided tents to facilitate this.

Your town should be chasing any grant money available to pay for more cleaning supplies and custodian overtime.

It's worth mentioning that a lot of the things that slow the spread are cheap, and a lot of things that happen when COVID spreads quickly are very expensive.

Communication strategy is also very important. If your town comes through without major casualties the money spent on prevention was not wasted.

Good luck
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Great questions, some of which I have raised (principal says he is "not a big fan" of tents/temporary buildings for classes") but few actually discussed by the committee. Perhaps the school board is talking about them. Likely not.

For all I know, there could be an unspoken agreement that the county will be shutting schools down before classes begin, so the district may feel less need to plan. All I do know is that, whatever smoky back room in which decisions are being made, I'm not there. The committee I'm on seems largely to exist to provide "input" and, more importantly, the imprimature of teacher approval, to the school board's pre-conceived (but largely unacknowledged) plans. If "plans" isn't too strong a word...

I do wonder, if the school board is worried about lawsuits, why they are not worried about a wrongful death lawsuit. Or a lawsuit from a staff member alleging an unsafe workplace, maybe OSHA?

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 07-21-2020 at 12:24 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

One of the major thing the Republicans are trying to get into the relief bill currently under discussion is a provision preventing exactly that type of lawsuit. Really. (Source)
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Yeah I saw mcturtle's nonsense last night about "preventing a second pandemic of lawsuits".

How do voters fall for this crap?

I'm posting this as an FYI. Our governor is at cross-purposes with our Mayor, mucking up science with politics. But this is what some folks who oughta know, are saying:

https://omaha.com/opinion/midlands-v...ec610da0f.html

There are clear actions each of us can take to ensure the path forward is safe and evidence-based:

» Parents. Contact your school board to advocate for a mask mandate, not just a recommendation. Practice wearing masks before school resumes and continue to encourage hand-washing and other preventive measures.

» Teachers. Continue to follow physical distancing, universal masking and other public health measures when around your colleagues and friends. Although children have a lower risk of catching and spreading COVID-19, the risk among adults remains high.

» School district leaders and board members. Ensure that public health experts are at the table when district recommendations are developed. We understand and empathize with the challenges you have in front of you. We may not be educators, but we have insight into evidence-based approaches to keep your students and staff safe.

» Policymakers. Public school districts are in dire need of resources, financial and otherwise, to implement necessary public health measures. The decision to open schools may be easy for now, but keeping them open will be a challenge if teachers, staff, and students are not adequately protected.

» All. Every member of our community can model healthy behaviors and practices; these measures are new to all of us, but students will be more likely to accept them if the people they look up to and peers they spend time with are modeling them. This includes wearing masks in public spaces where physical distancing cannot be maintained.

We hope our message compels everyone to advocate for measures that promote a safe return to school. The health of our neighbors, especially our most vulnerable students, teachers and community members, depends on it.

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

You may have a choice to make. I am not going to tell you which choice to make. I will simply tell you that you like so many others have a choice to make.
    You were advocating that Tom walks off the job and breaks his contract of employment. Some choice that is.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

A quick update: meeting again tomorrow with the district COVID-19 planning committee. Zoom this time, I think.

Last week I called the director of the county health department and left a message that I'd like to share some concerns I had as a public school teacheer. She called back this morning--what a great conversation!

She listened, said I sounded like I was following the same data she is monitoring, and ended by asking me if I would be comfortable emailing her my concerns as "a public school teacher in the county" so she could share that perspective with the county board. She also said she expects case loads and burdens on hospital resources to increase to "very high" in the next few weeks, which would give more support to a county-wide mask mandate.

And of course, she said there is a LOT of uncertainty as to what kind of authority for health mandates are politically possible right now. On a bright note (kind of), a district court dismissed a lawsuit filed by 17 Wisconsin citizens asking to overrule a wide range of local mandates for masks, etc. The ruling really only said they had identified too many defendants in a single suit, though, and they have 30 days to narrow their suit and refile.

I'll now be looking into what an employer can do to an employee who voices concerns about school policies outside the school before I figure out what, if anything, I will put in my email to the county health director. She seemed super competent, lots of facts and complex relationships at her fingertips during our conversation, which is encouraging.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Can anyone tell me how you play HS football while maintaining distance? We are going forward with it apparently. The CDC guidelines I have read seem to make it sound impossible, but no one is gonna make Georgians give up their football, and they are essentially requiring a halftime show from the band, so my son is required to go to rehearsals soon. None of this makes any sense to me at all.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Can anyone tell me how you play HS football while maintaining distance? We are going forward with it apparently. The CDC guidelines I have read seem to make it sound impossible, but no one is gonna make Georgians give up their football, and they are essentially requiring a halftime show from the band, so my son is required to go to rehearsals soon. None of this makes any sense to me at all.
    Use a round ball. It is called soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I guarantee that is not one of the options, and if it were, they would still want the band there. Meanwhile case rates in GA are still climbing.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I guarantee that is not one of the options, and if it were, they would still want the band there. Meanwhile case rates in GA are still climbing.
    I hear you.
    However, a band in the middle of a pitch will still sound as good with each band member standing a fathom separation away from their neighbours.

It is the football team players parents that should be engaging their brains.

I hear you.
    However, a band in the middle of a pitch will still sound as good with each band member standing a fathom separation away from their neighbours.

It is the football team players parents that should be engaging their brains.
    Yes but they still have to assemble, rehearse, travel, etc... Sitting in stands during the game. We are really expecting teenagers to properly distance during all this??

Football parents aren't concerned about CTE, what's a little covid gonna do...
    Tom

That's not exactly a non contact sport either.