Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey lupo and other tree guys...

Default Re: Hey lupo and other tree guys...

Glad it worked out for you.

Only another 30 or 35 to go.

This morning's walk after the gales last night.
    There's a path here, John makes Scooby doo quizzical noises, looks around checking location. We are 50 metres uphill from the scene of the last log crime.
    20200819_071311.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 08-18-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Finally 6 am brain says yes , you are correct, there is/ was a track there.
    Does buffalo girls, goes round the outside.
    20200819_071403.jpg

Ah, I think I understand the problem.

Funny story, gimme a minute..pic from phone, back on tablet.
    20201002_151004.jpg
    New neighbour is all fired up with his new property, we go away for 2 weeks and come back to find pest trees I've poisoned and am waiting to die/dry out/make sure are well dead before dropping, are felled and now in 3 giant messy brush piles about 8 metres in our side.
    Er, I think I need to show you where the peg is.
    Some zen moments required.
    Ah well, its not where we're working yet or a priority but it needed to be done , it's no problem and I'm pleased he feels the same way about bringing this bush back to native.
    I made a path, cut the windfall log for access, cleared and chipped down the slope to make another track to run on and since it's just a bit too steep to back down or tow up , used misc boat and assorted stuff for a 2:1 tackle to get the chipper down to the big pile.
    Solid days work and its not finished, but really satisfying to see it cleared up.
    Because it's reasonably dense bush you can't see from one peg to the other but because of this little hiccup ,neighbour has run a string line through.
    We just discovered we own extra land! Bonus.
    Last edited by John B; 10-02-2020 at 01:21 PM.

One not so small problem, an 18 metre heavy wood with soft patches problem
    20201003_134123.jpg

This isn't the wedge cut, this is just clearing away to the start of decent wood. It's leaning 10 degrees 80 degrees from where we want it to go.
    20201003_135220.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 10-02-2020 at 11:54 PM.

any interesting wood in those trees john
    one of the true pleasures of my time spent logging in michigan was finding crotches and burles and spalted wood for the lathe or for carving, even a crook for a spoon
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

also i don't know how many more trees you're bring down but you might consider a 'wench'

as much as possible i got to where i'd throw a small line up in the tree and use that to pull a larger line and then i'd pull em over with a winch on my tractor, mostlg i did this to get the root systems up, but it's a slow predictable drama free method of bring trees down
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Black wattle is great firewood, Paul, but not stable as a timber when cut. JW told me that.
    I intend to rip a bit for garden beds and the like when I buy the new saw. I needed a 20 in bar today fer sure.
    I do rig lines when needed, this one I got nervous because of the rot and what I couldn't see so I chickened out on the back cut. I wasn't assertive enough.
    But It worked out, I smacked the wedges in sideways and pushed it over.
    Yours sincerely, T.Ractorless.

Spot on target, really pleased. Kirsty is impressed , which is the important thing.
    Target was to land on the rotted windfall so happy with that. Paced out at 22 metres.
    20201003_153448.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 10-03-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Big day in paradise today. 1 small dia 15 metre . 1x 20 metre of about 4 to 500 mm diameter and one 22 metre heavy and heavy branched wattle . Couldn't have done it with the little saw, had to double cut with the 20 in bar on the new Husqvana , but man what a nice machine.
    Really pleased with those, right on the button too.
    I knocked down 20 dying conifers at my friends place a week ago and another 10 2 days ago with that saw. They weren't too big but it cuts like they're butter.
    20201128_155956.jpg
    Great pairing this has turned out to be.. the little ms180 is a sometime one hander, great for limbing and small trees, the new 562 is a delight for accurate cuts for felling.
    20201126_104848.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 11-27-2020 at 11:04 PM.

I'm off rats and back on trees.
    One awkward wattle down this am
    20210303_110343.jpg
    Bang on but with a little sneaky 1/4 roll at the last.

The hard one next.
    20210303_111350.jpg

Show us a photo of your felling cuts..?

The stump tells all.

"awkward wattle", that's how i walk to the can at 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    "awkward wattle", that's how i walk to the can at 2am.
    Let's agree to leave the woolly nightshade and the flowering cherry out of this , ok.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Show us a photo of your felling cuts..?

The stump tells all.
    Sure , thanks for the interest.
    20210303_111605.jpg
    Fat hinge on this one. It was leaning 10 or 15 degrees and I just needed it to go about 15 degrees left off that. I let it go when it wanted rather than making a deeper back cut.

The next one is a mess because it hung up. No stump photo because of the extra cuts.
    20? 25 degree lean pretty much at our shed and trees we want to keep. I wanted it to come about 50 degrees to the right off that but only got about 40 with the cuts ,wedges and a rope. Ended up in the right place though after I pulled it down, so I'm calling it a could do better win.

It was a 20 metre approx tree, 20 in bar just made the trunk and I'm standing a little bit left of where I wanted it to come to, which is on the crown of the first tree. There's underground services running down there so I left the smaller tree crown on as a cushion for the big one to drop on to.
    Can't see it but there's a 25 ft sapling set up as a batten running near perpendicular off the leaning tree to a tree root on the ground as a tell. I had trouble getting it out, ie it was under compression, so that tree was on the move.
    Happy chappy with it down.
    20210303_115811.jpg

Missed the mandarin, missed the new avocado by 2 metres, took down a couple of kanuka /tea trees in the hangup. I'm very happy with that.

20210303_172510.jpg
    When it stops raining I'll get some foliage and branches off , set some bearers under the trunk and de stress it down onto the ground.
    Last edited by John B; 03-03-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Sure , thanks for the interest.
    20210303_111605.jpg
    Fat hinge on this one.
    That is textbook. Awesome! Side cuts too. Big fat step, all parallel

As I'm sure you know, a hinge will only give you so many degrees, up to around 40, depending on the lean, tree type, and many other factors... after that you must rope it. I use 20mm nylon, as it is stretchy and is essentially a giant rubber band, so if you are working alone, you can tie it to the TOW BAR of your truck, drive to tension it, and when it is as tight as you want it, shut off the engine in gear, put some chocks behind the wheels and then go about your felling. Very useful, but it looks a bit congested in there to use a truck perhaps.

You also by now have got to know your trees and how they behave as to when they break the hinge. That one looked like it hung on for ages. Great that you backed the saw off when it started to go; that is exactly what you should do; keep the hinge as wide as possible.

That is textbook. Awesome! Side cuts too. Big fat step, all parallel

As I'm sure you know, a hinge will only give you so many degrees, up to around 40, depending on the lean, tree type, and many other factors... after that you must rope it. I use 20mm nylon, as it is stretchy and is essentially a giant rubber band, so if you are working alone, you can tie it to the TOW BAR of your truck, drive to tension it, and when it is as tight as you want it, shut off the engine in gear, put some chocks behind the wheels and then go about your felling. Very useful, but it looks a bit congested in there to use a truck perhaps.

You also by now have got to know your trees and how they behave as to when they break the hinge. That one looked like it hung on for ages. Great that you backed the saw off when it started to go; that is exactly what you should do; keep the hinge as wide as possible.
    Thanks for that.I appreciate it.
    If you look really closely at the rope , (which is a nylon anchor line,)on the second tree you'll see a cqr hanging midway. I actually added another mid line at right angles to pull more tension on as well.
    The bigger bar 562 makes good cuts a reality.

Another trick to add tension...

Tie rope fixed to tree, as high as you can get it. Put a strop around the base of a tree in the right direction you want the condemned tree to fall towards. Put a carabiner in the eyes of the strop, and clip in your pulling rope. Tie a figure of 8 about 5 meters back along the pulling line from the strop tree, put a carabiner in that, clip your pulling line into that also. Run pulling line back to carabiner at strop eye... Pull like buggery. Then tie off, preferably with a slipped knot. You are basically making a pulley advantage system, using carabiners instead of pulleys.

I hope that was clear..?

I doubt your Y hang anchor added very much tension, although I admire your spirit, gumption and the added nautical value... but it does add some dynamic tension... Until it hits the ground.

Definitely a nice job!

I lucked out & found 300 (92 meters) ft of 3/4" (19mm) nylon anchor rode in a dumpster. A guy started to give me grief for dumpster diving until he saw what I was getting. He allowed as how he woulda gone for it too.

I made it into 2 150' pieces & they've guided a lot of trees!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Another trick to add tension...

Tie rope fixed to tree, as high as you can get it. Put a strop around the base of a tree in the right direction you want the condemned tree to fall towards. Put a carabiner in the eyes of the strop, and clip in your pulling rope. Tie a figure of 8 about 5 meters back along the pulling line from the strop tree, put a carabiner in that, clip your pulling line into that also. Run pulling line back to carabiner at strop eye... Pull like buggery. Then tie off, preferably with a slipped knot. You are basically making a pulley advantage system, using carabiners instead of pulleys.

I hope that was clear..?

I doubt your Y hang anchor added very much tension, although I admire your spirit, gumption and the added nautical value... but it does add some dynamic tension... Until it hits the ground.
    I've rigged something similar with a big ole snatch block off the boat, I should have put more effort into that rig a couple of days ago.
    I did run my little chipper down a bank and back up a 'road' of its own chip with a 6 to 1 and the same rode though. Very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Definitely a nice job!

I lucked out & found 300 (92 meters) ft of 3/4" (19mm) nylon anchor rode in a dumpster. A guy started to give me grief for dumpster diving until he saw what I was getting. He allowed as how he woulda gone for it too.

I made it into 2 150' pieces & they've guided a lot of trees!
    I've grabbed a couple of things over the years myself. One was a carbon #4 jib being chucked out by a rich guy , a bent boat hook ,and the shame of the RNZYS..., some executive there decided to throw out a storeroom worth of old framed images of boats etc.
    I took one, a framed flag donated to them celebrating the sail training vessel I was on as a school kid.
    The jib folds down to nothing, I carry it as a get out of jail card . The boat hook I use every time we dock etc, the framed flag hangs in our mezzanine .

Dumpster finds are wonderful & it's astounding what some people will throw out.

Check it out. Honestly, what sort of yacht club tosser throws this plus 50 other framed memorabilia in a dumpster?
    Anyway, it means something to both of us so dammit.. we got it.
    20210305_093305.jpg

In the meantime It looks like I'm off trees, there's a tsunami alert. Just moved the fabulous stripper up from the waterfront.

Well - you did describe the person as a "tosser"...

Hey - it was there...

Glad you got it!

Sweet! A tree thread! Right up my alley.

Saturday’s job is dropping the last of 3 crispy Ash that were 15ft off the back of the house. All were in the 70 ft range and around 24” dbh. Gunna wrap the heck out of the trunk just above the cut and make gratuitous use of the Maasdam, pulling 2:1 through a block. Hoping the 5mph wind forecast holds out because I really don’t trust dead Ash to hinge correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by DosRenshos View Post
    Sweet! A tree thread! Right up my alley.

Saturday’s job is dropping the last of 3 crispy Ash that were 15ft off the back of the house. All were in the 70 ft range and around 24” dbh. Gunna wrap the heck out of the trunk just above the cut and make gratuitous use of the Maasdam, pulling 2:1 through a block. Hoping the 5mph wind forecast holds out because I really don’t trust dead Ash to hinge correctly.
    I trust it goes well for you.
    Our variety is wattle and its proving to be very stable to fell with no hint of laddering . Im taking them down because they're hazards or going to be hazards owing to their reasonably shallow roots.
    There was the exception of a 1/3 rotten tree back in this thread, but even that had very stable wood, what was left of it.

What’re you doing here still? Shouldn’t you be gettin’ out of Dodge?

We're 20 metres above sea level, Steven. There's been some foot high surges come into the inlet at this stage. It'd be more visual at low tide but it's nearly high now so all I'm seeing is stirred up mud and the foot surge on my withy channel markers.
    Last edited by John B; 03-04-2021 at 07:17 PM.

I have a tree felling company. It's just a side gig, mostly because I was a little bored a few years back and, well, why not. And I wouldn't call it a tree service company out of respect for the guys and gals that actually have formal training in this stuff.

Anyways, one of my great little time saving, and thus money earning, tools is this obscure little gem, the Swedish fällsax. It's really just a spring loaded log thong with a holder that attaches to a 1" pole. Attach a rope, lift it into the tree and twist the pole to release the thong. Once attached to the tree, it digs into the stem and holds on securely. And, of course, the more you pull the harder it grips. It does occasionally suffer some damage when the tree comes down, but that is easily rectified using a Big Fat Hammer.

I use a 4 meter fiberglass telescoping pole for the fällsax, which, adding my own height, gets it plenty high enough into the trees. I could always climb or use a throwline to get a rope into a tree, of course, but this is just so much faster than those other methods. I find the Maasdam rope puller is usually plenty powerful enough to pull over even bad back leaners. If I have a tree that cannot be allowed to fall sideways for some reason, I attach a second rope on the opposite side and 90 degrees to the falling direction and pre-tighten that rope using another pulley or block and tackle.

You could probably get one from here if interested: https://skogma.se/fallsax-komplett-m...-181200001001/
    Bundin er bátleysur maður

What is the recommended max line pull?

Good question. The answer is - i don't know, and the tool doesn't come with any documentation. I've sent the question to the supplier.

Edited: The supplier came back with the following answer: "The Fällsax is not tested and stamped, not made of hardened steel. We do this so it is easy to get back into shape should it be damaged when a tree falls. Normally there are no great forces required to pull down a tree. We usually say max 300 kg as a recommendation. Hope this was helpful".

I have no problem trusting this tool with loads significantly higher than 300kg, though probably not much more than 1000kg - if I need more pull I'm probably doing something wrong. In reality, I have been fine with the max 750kg pull you can get from the Maasdam, and usually way less. If you have a big b*stard in a tight spot, you're probably better served with another approach, but, e.g., for the size of trees that John is working on I would have no hesitation to use the Fällsax.
    Last edited by Oyvind Snibsoer; 03-08-2021 at 04:45 AM.
    Bundin er bátleysur maður

I could see that being handy in tall, skinny stuff that doesn’t allow good throw bag placement

That would be handy. It's interesting that stuff like that, throwing systems and the high limb chain we talked about earlier just don't seem to be available here. Typically arborists just climb or get lifted.
    The last one I went up the extension ladder to place the strop and line. I'd rather not.
    I'm getting my grass back slowly, couldnt even see or walk through there 3 days ago.
    20210307_130912.jpg
    Most of the brush from the 4 trees gone now, including that stuff on the left. Quite a bit of firewood still in assembled, pre deconstructed mode.
    IE. big freaking trunks.
    Last edited by John B; 03-08-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Nice to get it thinned out, and give the grass some light. Looks good John. I'm impressed with your work.

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyvind Snibsoer View Post
    ... the Swedish fällsax.

You could probably get one from here if interested: https://skogma.se/fallsax-komplett-m...-181200001001/
    I can see that being useful some of the time.. quick...and if I could lay bearers down to fell the tree on, leaving that exposed for removal. Could not survive asphalt if it smashed into it. Tall thin trees with a bit of lean where it is not crucially important they fall one way.. and it is not a catastrophe if they don't, just extra sweat. I'd never use it if I had a house or other structure on the lean side though.