Thread: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

Default Atlas Air Houston crash update.

Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

Jesus.

Reminds me of the first time I capsized.

Glad it wasn’t a passenger jet.

At 44 and 60, you'd think that they'd know better. Makes me afraid that standards are that low for all.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Sounds like a management problem in addition to a cockpit failure.
    Also, are most pilots still underpaid?

“Oh, Lord have mercy myself.” “Lord, you have my soul.”

These are not the statements I would want to hear coming from a cockpit.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

When you have thousands of pilots at an airline, you have a range of performance abilities. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is top-notch. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is below-par, and should be kept out of the cockpit. But there are always a few cases that are right on the line, and it's not so easy to make a decision about whether to retain them or not.

Plus, people can go through changes in life. Events can combine, merge, grow, and generate increasing stress. Someone who has always been a reliable performer can take a dip. Usually the system that's in place identifies that, and intervenes in time. But nothing is perfect.

The F/O in this crash, plus the one in Indonesia, and in Ethiopia, all were sub-standard. It takes 2 skilled people to fly a modern jet airliner. Not a Captain and a seat-warmer.

If this current pilot-shortage develops further, we're going to see more crashes, not less.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

That animation is terrifying.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    When you have thousands of pilots at an airline, you have a range of performance abilities. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is top-notch. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is below-par, and should be kept out of the cockpit. But there are always a few cases that are right on the line, and it's not so easy to make a decision about whether to retain them or not.

Plus, people can go through changes in life. Events can combine, merge, grow, and generate increasing stress. Someone who has always been a reliable performer can take a dip. Usually the system that's in place identifies that, and intervenes in time. But nothing is perfect.

The F/O in this crash, plus the one in Indonesia, and in Ethiopia, all were sub-standard. It takes 2 skilled people to fly a modern jet airliner. Not a Captain and a seat-warmer.

If this current pilot-shortage develops further, we're going to see more crashes, not less.
    Erm!
    Aska came to Atlas in 2017 after failing his test to become a captain at Mesa Air. He had previously dropped out of training programs at Air Wisconsin in 2012 and CommutAir in 2011, but did not list those employment stints on his application with Atlas.
    Atlas director of training Scott Anderson told investigators, “If I had that information at the time we would not have offered him a position.” The failure to win a promotion to captain at Mesa was not treated as a red flag in the Atlas hiring process.
    In 2015, Blakely failed his proficiency test on the Boeing 767 and was placed in a monitoring program “as a result of [his] repetitive need for additional training.” Blakely was removed from the monitoring program in February 2017.
    A June Miami Herald investigation found that pilots for Atlas Air, MIA’s largest cargo airline, warned company executives in the years leading up to the February crash that if they did not beef up the training program and hire pilots with more experience, they were going to crash a plane. At a meeting with executives in Miami in 2017, a pilot who had been with the company for two decades described an “erosion of level of experience in the cockpit.”
    Management need rewired more like.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    “Oh, Lord have mercy myself.” “Lord, you have my soul.”

These are not the statements I would want to hear coming from a cockpit.
    That statement on it's own, indicates a serious lack of critical thinking skills.
    Probably a lot like what the pilot that flew into the WTC sounded like at the moment of impact.

Not unusual for people to make similar pronouncements when faced with imminent death, though at times these may be inaudible.

It appears to have not been "imminent death" until he started thinking that way.

See: US airways flight 1549

There was mention of a aeroplane crash when the pilot said something to the effect of Mama here I come.

The point being made that independently of whosoever it is, and whatever the reason for being 'out of it', something is said in despair, the end being nigh.

Why did the aircraft go into “Go Around” mode? Did someone knock a switch?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Not unusual for people to make similar pronouncements when faced with imminent death, though at times these may be inaudible.
    Do. Not. Ever. Give. Up. Sounds to me like He gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    yes. Boeing will let that happen with a switch. Airbus needs to have the thrust levers advanced all the way forward for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Do. Not. Ever. Give. Up. Sounds to me like He gave up.
    Inability to effectively address an emergency, can lead to panic (or complacency).

Confronting a near 100 % flame-out (bird-strike) on take-off, evaluating the options for emergency landing, and subsequently deciding on a body of water with stalling a distinct possibility, is suggestive of extraordinary professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Inability to effectively address an emergency, can lead to panic (or complacency).

Confronting a near 100 % flame-out (bird-strike) on take-off, evaluating the options for emergency landing, and subsequently deciding on a body of water with stalling a distinct possibility, is suggestive of extraordinary professionalism.
    Damn right. That pilot and flight crew on the Hudson ditching were not heroes as many have said (though they would be if any had to dive underwater to save someone, at risk to their own life). What that flight crew was, to a person, was COMPETENT. Very well trained. Very experienced. Calm under pressure. Competence beats heroics. Competence often prevents the need for heroics.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

^ Well said, Bob ... Two of the passengers from that flight are my neighbors - They hold the Captain and flight crew in highest regard .

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Yes and yes. The switches are on the back of the throttles. They need to be quickly accessible in the event of a go around or rejected landing.
    Good video explaining how the incompetent crew “intercoursed the canine”.

https://youtu.be/dnTJY9HWR5Q
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Thank you. That’s a very good explanation; Captain preoccupied with his radio call, aircraft descending in cloud, co-pilot reacts instinctively having failed to spot the go around initiation.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT