Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Saint Helena Island, SC
    Posts
    10,471

    Default Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,016

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Jesus.

    Reminds me of the first time I capsized.

    Glad it wasn’t a passenger jet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    United States of Stupid
    Posts
    11,487

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    At 44 and 60, you'd think that they'd know better. Makes me afraid that standards are that low for all.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

    ~C. Ross

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Sounds like a management problem in addition to a cockpit failure.
    Also, are most pilots still underpaid?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    2,667

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    “Oh, Lord have mercy myself.” “Lord, you have my soul.”

    These are not the statements I would want to hear coming from a cockpit.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,919

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    When you have thousands of pilots at an airline, you have a range of performance abilities. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is top-notch. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is below-par, and should be kept out of the cockpit. But there are always a few cases that are right on the line, and it's not so easy to make a decision about whether to retain them or not.

    Plus, people can go through changes in life. Events can combine, merge, grow, and generate increasing stress. Someone who has always been a reliable performer can take a dip. Usually the system that's in place identifies that, and intervenes in time. But nothing is perfect.

    The F/O in this crash, plus the one in Indonesia, and in Ethiopia, all were sub-standard. It takes 2 skilled people to fly a modern jet airliner. Not a Captain and a seat-warmer.

    If this current pilot-shortage develops further, we're going to see more crashes, not less.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    __________________________________________________ ________________________

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    21,051

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    That animation is terrifying.

    What are you doing about it?




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    49,805

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    When you have thousands of pilots at an airline, you have a range of performance abilities. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is top-notch. Sometimes it's quite clear that someone is below-par, and should be kept out of the cockpit. But there are always a few cases that are right on the line, and it's not so easy to make a decision about whether to retain them or not.

    Plus, people can go through changes in life. Events can combine, merge, grow, and generate increasing stress. Someone who has always been a reliable performer can take a dip. Usually the system that's in place identifies that, and intervenes in time. But nothing is perfect.

    The F/O in this crash, plus the one in Indonesia, and in Ethiopia, all were sub-standard. It takes 2 skilled people to fly a modern jet airliner. Not a Captain and a seat-warmer.

    If this current pilot-shortage develops further, we're going to see more crashes, not less.
    Erm!
    Aska came to Atlas in 2017 after failing his test to become a captain at Mesa Air. He had previously dropped out of training programs at Air Wisconsin in 2012 and CommutAir in 2011, but did not list those employment stints on his application with Atlas.
    Atlas director of training Scott Anderson told investigators, “If I had that information at the time we would not have offered him a position.” The failure to win a promotion to captain at Mesa was not treated as a red flag in the Atlas hiring process.
    In 2015, Blakely failed his proficiency test on the Boeing 767 and was placed in a monitoring program “as a result of [his] repetitive need for additional training.” Blakely was removed from the monitoring program in February 2017.
    A June Miami Herald investigation found that pilots for Atlas Air, MIA’s largest cargo airline, warned company executives in the years leading up to the February crash that if they did not beef up the training program and hire pilots with more experience, they were going to crash a plane. At a meeting with executives in Miami in 2017, a pilot who had been with the company for two decades described an “erosion of level of experience in the cockpit.”
    Management need rewired more like.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    28,337

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    “Oh, Lord have mercy myself.” “Lord, you have my soul.”

    These are not the statements I would want to hear coming from a cockpit.
    That statement on it's own, indicates a serious lack of critical thinking skills.
    Probably a lot like what the pilot that flew into the WTC sounded like at the moment of impact.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL
    Posts
    5,018

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Not unusual for people to make similar pronouncements when faced with imminent death, though at times these may be inaudible.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    28,337

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    It appears to have not been "imminent death" until he started thinking that way.

    See: US airways flight 1549

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL
    Posts
    5,018

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    There was mention of a aeroplane crash when the pilot said something to the effect of Mama here I come.

    The point being made that independently of whosoever it is, and whatever the reason for being 'out of it', something is said in despair, the end being nigh.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    24,907

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Why did the aircraft go into “Go Around” mode? Did someone knock a switch?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Not unusual for people to make similar pronouncements when faced with imminent death, though at times these may be inaudible.
    Do. Not. Ever. Give. Up. Sounds to me like He gave up.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Why did the aircraft go into “Go Around” mode? Did someone knock a switch?
    yes. Boeing will let that happen with a switch. Airbus needs to have the thrust levers advanced all the way forward for this to happen.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL
    Posts
    5,018

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Do. Not. Ever. Give. Up. Sounds to me like He gave up.
    Inability to effectively address an emergency, can lead to panic (or complacency).

    Confronting a near 100 % flame-out (bird-strike) on take-off, evaluating the options for emergency landing, and subsequently deciding on a body of water with stalling a distinct possibility, is suggestive of extraordinary professionalism.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    7,927

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Inability to effectively address an emergency, can lead to panic (or complacency).

    Confronting a near 100 % flame-out (bird-strike) on take-off, evaluating the options for emergency landing, and subsequently deciding on a body of water with stalling a distinct possibility, is suggestive of extraordinary professionalism.
    Damn right. That pilot and flight crew on the Hudson ditching were not heroes as many have said (though they would be if any had to dive underwater to save someone, at risk to their own life). What that flight crew was, to a person, was COMPETENT. Very well trained. Very experienced. Calm under pressure. Competence beats heroics. Competence often prevents the need for heroics.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    2,267

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    ^ Well said, Bob ... Two of the passengers from that flight are my neighbors - They hold the Captain and flight crew in highest regard .



    Rick

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Saint Helena Island, SC
    Posts
    10,471

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Why did the aircraft go into “Go Around” mode? Did someone knock a switch?
    Yes and yes. The switches are on the back of the throttles. They need to be quickly accessible in the event of a go around or rejected landing.
    Good video explaining how the incompetent crew “intercoursed the canine”.

    https://youtu.be/dnTJY9HWR5Q
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    24,907

    Default Re: Atlas Air Houston crash update.

    Thank you. That’s a very good explanation; Captain preoccupied with his radio call, aircraft descending in cloud, co-pilot reacts instinctively having failed to spot the go around initiation.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •