Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More lock-down balsa bashing

Default Re: More lock-down balsa bashing

Here's one I made earlier! Just retrieved from a box in the attic.
    Built about 25 years ago, just before I started the larger Hurricane in the earlier post. The green is tissue; I gave a quick light spray from a rattle can for the brown bits.
    Built from a KeilKraft kit, not modified apart from a different propeller. Even after a lot of sanding, the sheet tailplane and fin made for a lot of ballast up front.
    I first built one aged about ten; the kits cost 3s 6d then. It didn't fly very well, and was eventually set on fire and launched to its doom from the bedroom window.

002.jpg
    Last edited by birlinn; 08-03-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Reminds me of an electrician I worked with. Spent endless downtime in plant building balsa models, looked very nice. After he was done with the build he would take them to the highest roof of the complex and launch them. Before launch he loaded them with firecrackers and lit on launch. Never really did understand him!

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Howler?
    Chichester had a Gypsy Moth aircraft, and flew it to Japan.
    His yachts were called after it- Gypsy Moth 2, etc.
    Where did he fly it from?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I think he was attempting to fly around the world but hit powerlines ,I think in Yokohama and crashed into the sea. It is in the earlier edition of "Gypsy moth around the World"

Chichester's flight to Japan in the mid thirties started in New Zealand. I think (but open to correction) his was the first east to west solo crossing of the Tasman Sea. He refueled at Norfolk Island, then crashed and repaired the aircraft a Lord Howe Island.

Chichester started his round the world flight in the UK, flew to Australia and NZ, then on to China and Japan on his intended way home. His aircraft had floats, and, as Raymon says, hit power lines when landing in Wakayama harbour, near Yokohama.
    Last edited by birlinn; 08-04-2020 at 01:38 AM.

I started this Camel nearly 30 years ago. I may never finish! I picked it up again. We shall see.

Sopwith.jpg
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Got to do something whilst I am 'shielded' and confined to barracks, so built another, extensively modified from a much simpler rubber powered kit.
    The electric powered Tiger Moth is 18" (460 mm) span, has 3 channel micro radio squeaked in, and weighs 49 grammes (1 3/4 oz)
    One day I'll get to fly it.

Attachment 63124Attachment 63125
    Two of those, plus a Puss moth, full sized of course, flew over my place last week. Very gentle and slow.
    Great to see, and the sound of those in line engines is so different from the usual horizontally opposed engines as well.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Very Nice Work birlinn! Maybe I should send you a kit I have had for 14 years...PICT1.jpg

I scratch built a Mew Gull and built large scale gliders for some club members...but it's all in the past.
    I got into electrics big time in the late 90's ... F5b.

https://www.fai.org/page/f5-electric-flight

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

When I was really young there was a model aircraft show at the very close airport. Afterwards we found a model free flying plane in our pasture. It had the name and address of the owner. My father contacted him and he only wanted the engine back. I wonder if the rest of the plane could still be in the attic somewhere, it used to be up there, but that was over 50 years ago.

Many years ago I mentioned to my girlfriend (soon to be my wife) that I'd had fun as a kid with a control-line air plane. At Christmas, she gave me a kit - a balsa stagger-wing biplane with a little Cox 0.49 motor and all the necessary gear. I had fun putting it together and painted it up real nice. Fired it up, and everything seemed to be in order.

On a nice calm spring day we headed out to an empty parking lot, laid out the strings, hooked up the battery, and wound it up. The plane practically leapt from the ground. I spun around 2, maybe 3 times, trying to keep up with this screaming banshee. It couldn't have been more than a few seconds before it got ahead of me and leapt into a vertical climb, a perfect arc overhead, and a full speed dive head-first into the ground.

Some time later I glued the pieces back together, mounted a much less aggressive propeller, and piloted a few more successful flights.

- John

Sunshine. Light winds. Nine year-old grandchild. Shed.

DSC_0807.jpg

Flies great! Thank Dawkins for superglue!

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."