Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sven Yrvind has set sail.....

Default Re: Sven Yrvind has set sail.....

Pity his sails aren't twice as big.
    And a more efficient shape.

Anyone have a couple of laser sails?

Hasen't this been the report for his last 2 boats?

Perhaps a bronze fin would be better than a bronze plate?

Having followed Sven's exploits for 40+ years, it is reasonable to accept his quest for a rig that works with shallow draught monohull is requisite, so a 4sided sail or two figures, but a drop board with some depth sure would help him with some more windward performance.Getting the board slotted into a small space without robbing too much room, calls for a solution quite different to what he has so far come up with and at the same time some external ballast could allow a taller rig to keep moving when the high pressure systems are dominant. Design of a new boat has been and apparently still is the outcome of his exploits, inevitably an offshoot of previous designs.Going back to his early wooden boat design and features that proved workable might be worth combining with some of his recent ideas and trials.

I think the 'mountain bike for the ocean' philosophy is a bit mixed up - travel by bike, especially off road, is by it's nature lightweight. I have no doubt that this boat performed well in sailing trials but loaded for 100+ days at sea seems just too much. I do like the idea of the small rig but the SA/D must be way off any chart at the moment. It just seems to be the same miscalculation over and over again. I find much to like and admire in the man (the Bris sextant borders on genius) but these recent designs just seem obstinate.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

73 yo dude rows this across the Atlantic, 90 something days.
    It has a ton more space.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    I have no doubt that this boat performed well in sailing trials but loaded for 100+ days at sea seems just too much. I do like the idea of the small rig but the SA/D must be way off any chart at the moment. It just seems to be the same miscalculation over and over again.
    I dunno, off the wind he has been recording speeds of over 7 knots. His less than 2 knot average seems to be from spending a lot of time going nowhere. 12 square m of sail on a hull with not so much wetted surface is not that bad, given also his use of low masts. He said he cant afford to build the "next boat" now, i have no idea how he expects to build it when and if he reaches NZ, which was the plan. Maybe a year of saved pension money while he eating one cold meal a day at sea?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    73 yo dude rows this across the Atlantic, 90 something days.
    It has a ton more space.
    Ya reckon can get 200 days worth of munchies onboard? I think Svens "climate control" idea of staying inside the boat has a lot of merits, hard to fall overboard if you are never on deck.

Yes, I saw some reasonably respectable speeds at some points but more often it seems that every time I click on the tracker, even in what seem quite favourable conditions, it shows numbers between 0.5 and 1.5 knots.

He mentions ( back in his blog, writing about a boat of similar design to current one) that he has a topmast and topsail.... wondering if he is using itnow in the light conditions? lifestyle and building space he had for the current boat looked to be an appealing part of the project/exploit. Can't see it being easy to re-enact similar in NZ on low budget. Took me 20 years of working 12+ hours a day 7 days a week to get a shop built and equiped to match what he had, but starting now, a sub 20ft boat might be possible to build in a little garage, if done in modules.Building near 25ft length(as he is contemplating) in composites sandwich is a different story. Going back to something more like Bris 1, built in a cellar might be more like it.

I have a great deal of respect for his attitude and willingness to get out there and do something.
    That doesn't mean I respect his technology.
    It would have been so easy to improve things. A little at a time.

Wish I lived in Australia, I would offer to help build an improved boat.

I dont think there was much wrong with his first Bris

He gets into a lot of math about the shock on a mast in a roll over or capsize, obviously the shorter mast always has a lesser loading, but even a short stayed mast such as one Bris 1 survived a pitch pole.

I think the low aspect ratio of the lug sails suit better the low stability of the hull, it just does not have the power to stand up to a tall rig, but he knew that all along, and i suppose part of his 6-1 length to beam ratio for an easily driven boat. Scilly pilot gigs have low rigs, but they can achieve over 10 knots under sail for the same reason.......but never good upwind. Compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    I have a great deal of respect for his attitude and willingness to get out there and do something.
    That doesn't mean I respect his technology.
    It would have been so easy to improve things. A little at a time.

Wish I lived in Australia, I would offer to help build an improved boat.
    If I still had my decent sized workshop it would likewise be tempting to offer help, then again if I had tolerance for cold conditions, setting up at the bottom of the South Island might have been an option. Sven has mentioned Dunedin as his destination of choice and a little further south is a port that has an aluminium smelter that the present government is about to decomision. Could be that there are facilities like workshops being vacant and available. there. On design improvement-he seems to be fixed on a chine configuration lening towardt the chine-runner concept, which seems to work when wind is inbundqnce... looking at the North Atlantic weather map, hemight have a low pressure system forming t give him stronger winds.

Re #45^ - at the heart of his development thrust isa hull form and rig that can repeatedly survive knockdown and self righting. Bris 1 suffered that one pitchpole roll-over and he must have learned something from that. Hence his search for a stability system that does not rely on a fixed ballast fin keel.Drop boards can be lifted and allow the hull to side-slip when hammered.His earlier rig on Bris was a split lug, but the masts and spars were too heavy, so it looks as though a return to this type rig underpins the current choice.He might be open to something of a 'symbiosis' between Bris split lug, Bris sloop and a Gunter with wishbone and battens along with other heavy weather sails like quadrangular foresail and a storm jib. Then using a drop board with a little external ballast might do the trick to carry that extra canvas aloft in light conditions, while also being able to drop sail along with weight aloft could get the configuration close to what he has now.

There is a well developed low pressure cell approaching, that should be over him in a day or two. The NW quadrant of this system should give him a flick southwards, but then the windless Azores high is going to mean little headway being made, once more.... time to get cranking on the yuloh, and when it would help to have that topsail making use of air being drawn over it from human propulsion.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'm really glad someone is doing this.
    Not sure i would.

Looking at his track, his progress could be described as controlled drifting.
    I'm going to keep watching, I love this.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

He turned South today should make some good progress with the forecast over the next 24 hours. It does always look as though he is chasing the windless area, but he really has no need to be anywhere until his supplies run out. I dont know if he gets weather on his in-reach, he probably cant afford that.

"No need to be anywhere"

So this is just about having a "cabin in the woods" to be away from everyone?
    Works for that.

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    "No need to be anywhere"

So this is just about having a "cabin in the woods" to be away from everyone?
    Works for that.
    Not really, the plan was to get to New Zealand, but corona has put everything into an unknown. He said he intends to float around in the sargasso sea till the food is almost done, re-stock in the Azores, and then head off in the direction of Brazil .

Making good speed of over 4.9 knots this morning with good winds for the next 48 hours, but running the weather prediction to Wed-Thurs shows a nasty low forming and pretty much hard for him to avoid. Will be interesting to see if he makes any sudden course changes.

He has turned to head west, as i thought he might do, since holding a Southerly course could mean more shipping to contend with. From roughly his position now, a course toward the Scilly Isles missed a lot of shipping- as I remember it, but is not possible for him.For him to make more distance westwards now is good in that he should be able to be moving south again on the back of the next depression and then move smarty across the lanes.This option of crossing the main the main east/west shipping route as quickly as possible can be done when way to the west and clear of Finisterre/Biscay, even if he has to contend with westerlies at that time.

When he left on his last trip from Dingle in Ireland, he was towed around 50 miles offshore. He was way out by the time he got down to the latitude of the Scillies. I have usually headed out from the UK to 15W before heading due South to avoid getting stuck in Biscay in a blow, the time i didnt, i got a bad gale 24 hours out from La Coruna, and the seas near the shelf to soundings can get pretty ugly. Shipping my biggest bug-bear, like a tortoise trying to cross a 6 lane motorway. I would avoid trying to do that at night with my aging eyesight, but i know he has AIS, at least that calculates instantly if there is a threat of collision. Helpfull bit of kit.
    He clocking a consistent 3.3 knots over 10 hours this morning.

Looking at the way the low is tracking, he should get blown to the west a little when it gets to him and then he will probably be good for heading south again, although, he seems to have been doing so for the last 12hours anyway.... probably appreciating warming that comes with this.

Those following Sven's track will have noticed how he made good use of abundant wind that came with the last depression and how he is heading due south, hopefully making an un-eventful crossing of the main E/W shipping lanes, to put him in the light wind area of the Azores high, where he should be able to sun himself and do whatever he thinks best regarding stores depletion or re-stocking.
    Looking at the time made in this(current) boat with barely 1ft draught, and 70ft sq sail area, he seems to be doing as well as he did in Bris1, so that retracing of his previous route(in Bris) would be reasonable and could well prove the theory (of rough water capability by a minimalist and easily driven small craft). From where he is now, he still has a few weeks spare in which to make it asfar as Madeira in the 45 days that it took him in Bris, but whether or not he opts for that route is the question.Reading back through the blog, the bit about doing E toW around Cape Horn struck me as something he could well aim for.

Having made it well into the area covered by the Azores high, Sven has obviously lost the wind and is drifting about in circles.... a taller rig with more light-weather sail or else a much lighter craft with skinny hulls and form stability, would no doubt be preferable in this region." drifting about in the doldrums" as he previously stated as being the expected stage before restocking in the Islands, is pretty much where he happens to be now.

Sven is almost at the Azores, maybe a few days from landing if he so desires, he sounds happy reading from his last update of a day or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Sven is a legend.
    Sven has devolved into another internet panhandler, drifting around in what amounts to a bathtub with a tea towel is not proving anything except that he is quite mad.
    whatever rocks your boat

Well, he is making trans Ocean rowing look appealing, although, the bit up in high latitudes sure showed how a minimal draught and likewise sail-equipped trailer boat can manage conditions there. At the same time he is doing a pretty good job of self-isolating, without bludging off any state to do so.

His ideal boat is a barrel, even a container with a flag on it would sail better, have more room and be an all round success than his disaster.
    whatever rocks your boat

Not many people seem to have the same opinion as I do, but Paul gets a +1 from me.

The barrel might be better with just a few changes

BUT - he's not hurting anyone - can't be said about a bunch of protesters and counter protesters over here.
    I guess I should cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Sven has devolved into another internet panhandler, drifting around in what amounts to a bathtub with a tea towel is not proving anything except that he is quite mad.
    Are you jelous? I think some of his previous sponsors were upset when he cut up and dumped his "around in 10" design, but that was probably a good thing. No one is forced to give him anything. Sailing La Vagabond get around $30,000 per video, but Sven does not have her figure to flaunt in a bikini. His last effort was a disappointment in many ways, despite some lessons being learned. Yes, he would be better just buying a second hand boat to get to NZ, but he wants to experiment. Do you really feel the need to give an 80 year old man a hard time? I dont see has anything to prove, do you sail to prove something to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Flobart View Post
    Are you jelous? I think some of his previous sponsors were upset when he cut up and dumped his "around in 10" design, but that was probably a good thing. No one is forced to give him anything. Sailing La Vagabond get around $30,000 per video, but Sven does not have her figure to flaunt in a bikini. His last effort was a disappointment in many ways, despite some lessons being learned. Yes, he would be better just buying a second hand boat to get to NZ, but he wants to experiment. Do you really feel the need to give an 80 year old man a hard time? I dont see has anything to prove, do you sail to prove something to anyone?
    Age makes it worse, when people are in the geriatric phase of life those around them that encourage them to endanger themselves are called enablers. The very fact this is public shows the panhandling aspect, if you enjoy being a voyeur while a crazy old man chances his life then thats all yours. I find it sad.

Read his website, he been trying to prove crazy since forever, actually read his manifesto and you will see that he is quite mad.
    whatever rocks your boat

Who has encouraged him? He has always done his own thing. I do not think in this day and age his "mountain bike of the seas" concept will take off, as i dont think kids today want to travel in such conditions. Anyone who understands and has used a Bris sextant, would not call him mad. Hardly voyeuristic watching a tracker beacon on a map, real voyeurs watch clickbait youtube channels with scantily clad crew. When is one too young or too old to endanger themselves? Are you just as upset about Jessica Watson when she was sailing around the world?

So he arived in the azores
    Ragnar B.

Age makes it worse, when people are in the geriatric phase of life those around them that encourage them to endanger themselves are called enablers. The very fact this is public shows the panhandling aspect, if you enjoy being a voyeur while a crazy old man chances his life then thats all yours. I find it sad.

Read his website, he been trying to prove crazy since forever, actually read his manifesto and you will see that he is quite mad.
    I correspond with him and admit that he's very unconventional, but anything but mad. He's very interesting once he's relaxed a bit, like some people who are a bit different from the norm he's had to put up with a great deal of pressure and criticism throughout his life but he's still got a good sense of humour and a very realistic sense of self.
    I like the man, would enjoy spending a few days with him to discuss our different views.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

What is madness, but to sail the sea in a boat you built yourself, or to sit in a cubicle day after day staring at a screen hoping you will last long enough to enjoy a few happy years of retirement? Isn't his life his to chance? If not his, then whose is it?

What "madness"?... There Sven is in the Azores, with winter about to come on in Europe having avoided infection by a virus that was transported everywhere by a so called 'sane' system that burns huge amounts of jet fuel for the pleasure of ppl who take it as their right to live extravagantly.He exercises his right to live frugaly in contact with the elements, and is now in a position to go free with the wind, which suits his boat design a whole lot more.