Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sven Yrvind has set sail.....

Default Sven Yrvind has set sail.....

https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/yrvind/#

https://www.yrvind.com/

Lets hope he gets further than Madeira this time......

Default Re: Sven Yrvind has set sail.....

Had he changed anything from last time?

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Had he changed anything from last time?

Pete
    New boat, wider, better space inside, more stability, more comfort, more stores, and the rig is a bit different.

Lets see how he goes this time. Lots of detail about Exlex Minor here https://www.yrvind.com/

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I must say that from the videos I have seen the new boat seems to move and handle surprisingly well. I thought the last boat was just horrendous but this one seems very interesting.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Whats he like 104 now ?

No, he only 80 something. He has had a few issues which might explain his odd course. At one point, when he was running off wind with the wind on the aft quarter, his tracker gave him a speed of 7.7 knots. Despite the load on board, seems slippery in a strong wind.......he will have a lot coming in the next 24-48 hours.

Trying to follow Sven but cannot as yet understand exactly what he is doing; so far he has managed to use the craft's shallow draught capability to trailer launch and is making headway against the wind, to the point that he now seems in a position to be able to close reach and possibly get clear of risk being embayed in Biscay.... what then?, does he get as far south as he can go with stores he has aboard? or does he make Madeira and prepare to start buildiing the 23footer that he is now designing? or does he restock and head toward Cape Horn?

I looked at this guy's website and nothing makes sense to me, it's all over the place.

Who is he and what is he trying to do and why are you all so interested?

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    I looked at this guy's website and nothing makes sense to me, it's all over the place.

Who is he and what is he trying to do and why are you all so interested?
    Well, he had a go at Cape Horn in a 20ft cold moulded wooden boat that he designed and built, then managed to round the Horn in an 18 footer ( not sure whether from east to west or vice versa and the boat was not wooden, but A alloy).This time he might go from the South Atlantic into the Pacific O at 50 deg S ( as he mentions on his site) or what?, it being not clear at this stage. Some of us have been following his sailing ventures since the 1970's and continue to do so.

This guy has always been a little around the bend.
    He mentions planing with the new boat, but the sail power looks almost too small to power an optimist.
    His slow speed might be because the stern is immersed, but I doubt that he could go much faster if it wasn't.

Good luck to him.

PS: all the criticism of his previous boats has been shown to be true by him increasing the size of the boat dramatically.
    Where is a keel, or centerboard, or leeboard, etc?

I guess 10K books will provide ballast. But with no real sail he might not need it.

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    This guy has always been a little around the bend.
    He mentions planing with the new boat, but the sail power looks almost too small to power an optimist.
    His slow speed might be because the stern is immersed, but I doubt that he could go much faster if it wasn't.

Good luck to him.

PS: all the criticism of his previous boats has been shown to be true by him increasing the size of the boat dramatically.
    Where is a keel, or centerboard, or leeboard, etc?

I guess 10K books will provide ballast. But with no real sail he might not need it.
    He'll need it--just not as ballast...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Man, some real sour pussies here.

The boat has a heavy bronze plate on the bottom acting as a grounding shoe and ballast. On the tracker the boat has been showing speeds over 7 knots in winds of around 30 knots, but in the light winds, he will obviously be slower even with 3 masts set up.

His aim was to get to New Zealand. Corona has had an impact on his plans. Currently he is intending to "float around" the Sargasso Sea until the food is almost done, then go to the Azores to re-stock and then head South towards Brazil. Hard to know what might happen.....things change, ideas change. He is lucky that his sponsors have stuck by him after the last 2 boats got abandoned.

He did add a dagger board, hopefully that will keep him clear of being blown onto the West coast of Orkney or Scotland in the coming days. He has a drougue too should he need it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Man, some real sour pussies here.

The boat has a heavy bronze plate on the bottom acting as a grounding shoe and ballast. On the tracker the boat has been showing speeds over 7 knots in winds of around 30 knots, but in the light winds, he will obviously be slower even with 3 masts set up.

His aim was to get to New Zealand. Corona has had an impact on his plans. Currently he is intending to "float around" the Sargasso Sea until the food is almost done, then go to the Azores to re-stock and then head South towards Brazil. Hard to know what might happen.....things change, ideas change. He is lucky that his sponsors have stuck by him after the last 2 boats got abandoned.

He did add a dagger board, hopefully that will keep him clear of being blown onto the West coast of Orkney or Scotland in the coming days. He has a drougue too should he need it.
    Thanks for that update skaraborgcraft, so he still has the bronze plate(I thought that he had that on boat Exlex and had to pawn it to finance the building of Exlex Minor, his current boat, which I still have to establish dimensions of, since he is on his website he talks about a 7.2 M boat now). Assuming current boat is an 18 footer with 4f' beam and provisions for 60 days at sea, I figure he could make the Azores and re-stock. It was at this time of year back in 87 that I had to go up till 55 deg N to find westerlies (when heading to England) and when arriving at lands End shortly after, had to contend with easterlies for much of the time heading toward Falmouth and then the Isle of White. ConsideringSven is almost clear of the Shetlands, he might benefit from a high establishing its'elf over the Norh and giving him a shove toward the Azores.
    Last edited by Lugalong; 07-06-2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: tly afteromth

Lug, the current boat is 5.6m (18ft4in)and 1.2m (4ft) beam . He has food onboard for 120 days. Im guessing the bronze shoe on the other Exlex is still in Porto Santo, as he had another made up for the new boat.

His current course seems to be taking him closer to land than he indicated in his original idea.......maybe he will stop in the Western Isles. What with NZ borders being shut until sometime next year anyway, no point him rushing anywhere. And the 10,000 books and wiki-pedia in 6 languages is obviously downloaded on a tablet, not in paper, as some might have concluded with the ballast remark.

Not quite sure how turning up in NZ without any kind of visa is going to pan out, especially with his intention to build the "next boat" there.

Lug, the current boat is 5.6m (18ft4in)and 1.2m (4ft) beam . He has food onboard for 120 days. Im guessing the bronze shoe on the other Exlex is still in Porto Santo, as he had another made up for the new boat.

His current course seems to be taking him closer to land than he indicated in his original idea.......maybe he will stop in the Western Isles. What with NZ borders being shut until sometime next year anyway, no point him rushing anywhere. And the 10,000 books and wiki-pedia in 6 languages is obviously downloaded on a tablet, not in paper, as some might have concluded with the ballast remark.

Not quite sure how turning up in NZ without any kind of visa is going to pan out, especially with his intention to build the "next boat" there.
    Got that about stores for 120days, thanks... had thought he said so somewhere, in which case it looks as though the plan to head east when reaching the South Atlantic (rather than
    doing another Horn passage) is a possibility. Arrival in NZ, if that happens is an interesting prospect and after a long Southern Ocean passage he is not likely to be a covid risk, so he is certainly doing the sensible thing in terms of travel at his age in these times that shows how stupid jet travel can be for health and safety of populations. Another boat with a bit more length and possibly a holding tank for use during quarantine time in ports of call figures, and I guess this could be do-able by cutting and splicing onto the existing structure (since it is core and skin).The way he is getting about points to means of travel that gets to the heart of sustainable use of energy along with environmental conservation.

It is far too easy to criticize if you are unaware of Sven or his past experiences. Some who do know of his past are still skeptics but he does not ask for help so how do you make a judgement. I have met him and talked to him and agree that, in my opinion, he is different in perhaps every respect from anyone else I have known and does not act or look like most people expect others to do. While I don't follow the same route in boat design or purpose as Sven, he did not ask me and would probably ignore any contrary thoughts anyway.

I expect the ocean to be as fair and uninterested in him or his boats as the same ocean is to the rest of us. He has spent a lot of time out there so he is able to survive where plenty of far more "proper" sailors have foundered.
    Tom L

looking at that position tracker... he's spent the last 24 hours getting his ass kicked and it's only going to get worse for the next couple of days.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

On the contrary, he has made some westing and is staying clear of the Shetlands, even though the wind has been against him. He simply has to keep on this way and wait for. more favourable wind slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    looking at that position tracker... he's spent the last 24 hours getting his ass kicked and it's only going to get worse for the next couple of days.
    Here's a guy, past 80, still building boats and getting out there on the water chasing his dream, many of us would be very pleased to do that. While I'm not aiming to do the same kinds of thing that he does, I'm very interested in his exploits, encouraged by his getting out there, still active and getting on with life at an age when many are in their metaphorical rocking chairs on the porch, designing and building his own boats and out there on the ocean doing it in real time rather than dreaming as so many do.
    His boat is not strong to windward, but he's prepared to sit out any unfavourable winds, thats fine, thats part of his plan, he knows what he's doing, when the wind swings north again he'll be looking to make as much westing as possible so as to clear the British Isles and head south to the Canaries or Azores.

Its very tempting to think that perhaps I might do something similar, so I'll leave all of you for a few hours, get up there in my workshop and continue building.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    If his tracker is close to accurate, he seems to having very little (far less than i might have thought), in the way of drift. He seems to have managed to have kept upwind of his previous tracks everytime he has headed back in a Northerly direction (when he is not going in circles). More surprising as the seas/waves have been big in that area after some strong Northerly winds. After his comment about too much stuff stowed aft, effecting speed and ability to go upwind, one can only imagine how the boat is going to go when she lightens up over the coming month.

my comment came from sympathy, not disparagement.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

When very young and new to ocean sailing on a small boat, I remember thinking, .....as slow as I'm going, it is infinitly faster than my peers in the bullet factory in Bridgeport.
    i mean im on a feckin bote !!!

Pounding salt aboard my enginless 26'er, HAPPY AS A CLAM to take 3 or 4 days to go 100 miles ....then I met Sven on Bris... ( in St Maarten in 75)...I could at least sit up straight down below.

Ha ha Bruce. If you read much of Svens stuff over the years, he is quite keen on what other people call "discomfort". His "mountain bike of the seas" concept might only perk the interest in hard core masochists, who have no need of a fixed toilet or a wash basin, most people want more than just 2 buckets. He seems to think quite strongly that people have become fat and soft, in his words......he does have a point. I could imagine sailing one of his boats to get someplace, and i think that is the sole purpose, leaves the question of how does one define a live-aboard boat vs a passagemaker. Im not hard core enough to survive on one cold meal a day. I like a teapot and a small bookshelf at the very least...... but good on him.

Sven sailing straight into an oncoming low system with 40knots, hes currently doing around 3.5 knots on the wind, be nice to know what sail set up he is using. I cant upload the screen shot, but there is currently a massive low encircling Iceland.

https://www.windy.com/?63.879,-15.908,5
    Attached Images Attached Images

Watching the way Sven has steadily been making his way westwards and using the lows to his advantage by going on the starboard tack when the NW quadrant of the system moves over him,,,, he's done this before, such as when sailing in Bris, albeit when much younger and maybe fitter. Bris was wooden and didn't offer the same insulation as the 'chillybin' structure of this boat, so maybe is just hunkering down and waiting for that shove southwards when the wind comes from the north. Thing that has me wondering is how he manages to get get nourishment through his system and out of the boat. After similar episode in Bris, he describes having to use a spoon to dig out the compacted food waste from his rear end.For him it may be routine being couped-up in frigid conditions and power to him for it, but the thought of getting in a position to use any west wind for heading south is sure pleasing.

He probably using the weather as you suggest. As for food, the one meal a day of museli and i think with suppliments gets him everything he needs , at least to physically keep alive. I dont think he is visiting the stern rail like he used to, unless he has some aversion to using a bucket below......he does claim his boats have excellent ventilation....

Im not sure what other people think when they see a small boat with no cooking or toilet facilities, maybe that is why he uses the term "mountain bike of the sea", they dont have them either.

Looks like he got through the front of the low, and will be having some strong Northerlies later today, tomorrow.

Front has developed into a deep trough to north of him it seems, and wind is going back to westerlies.Mountain bike allegory might have something to do with the way the boat slogs it's way uphill/upwind and then gets a brief run free, which is exactly the way it is going for him. Unless it comes to southern hemisphere westerlies and there is a continuous 'downhill' run with them.Still, he might be in a position where an approach to Ireland is made and the north end(of the country) should be open to him from the covid point of view, but whether he chooses to expose himself to that risk is another question, although the possibility of making camp to cook a meal (mountain bike style) would be a huge temptation for me.

Sven is a legend.

I might respect the man for his determination,but he could find several easier ways of getting to his destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I might respect the man for his determination,but he could find several easier ways of getting to his destination.
    In his own words - "good thing I have no destination and plenty of time". So this is hardly a case of vehicle choice for travel from point A to B.
    Suppose he was in a position to burn some money and hop onto a plane, at his age ( with associated risk to virus infection) possible destinations for frivolous trippers are hardly abundant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Has anyone done a study on how much oil products and CO2 could be saved if the entire leisure marine industry was banned, and how would those savings compare to everyone who might sail, fly everywhere? You do not spend as much eating at sea for a 30 day passage across the Atlantic, as you would a air ticket, and at least when you get to the other side, you have your accomodation and transport with you. Sometimes it is more about the journey, than the destination.

Has anyone done a study on how much oil products and CO2 could be saved if the entire leisure marine industry was banned, and how would those savings compare to everyone who might sail, fly everywhere? You do not spend as much eating at sea for a 30 day passage across the Atlantic, as you would a air ticket, and at least when you get to the other side, you have your accomodation and transport with you. Sometimes it is more about the journey, than the destination.
    If there is any chance of "banning" leisure boating, then non essential air and space travel probably needs to be curtailed as well and then the hunt starts in determining whether agriculture or industry ( including production of alternative energy products) is the next culprit to face the chop.As it is with Sven, he gets to travel while many others cannot choose where to go and whats more, he might still get to visit old haunts like Tristan da Cunha (where he has previously been welcomed) and where there is no chance of reaching other than by boat. Also where a boat such as his can be hauled out for preparation to carry on eastwards. Assuming he then makes it across the Southern Ocean, arriving in this side of the world in his own floating abode would put him in a better position than someone on a jet plane. As has for long been the case with boat travel, quarantine is taken care of aboard and only then may medical clearance permit time ashore. Arrival on a flight makes things a bit more complicated and he might not even have much choice of movement the way things are with this virus.

Ports in the Azores were shut to visiting yachts. I dont know if Svens thoughts of running down his food stock is part of an elaborate plan to gain entry to provision, but i have not seen an issue with this happening in any port around the world as long as the crew continue to stay aboard if absolutely neccessary. Im pretty confidant NZ would not be barring access to an 81 year old man who sailed all the way from Sweden, even if he is required to isolate for a month on arrival.......Sven wont have any problem with that.....

Getting back to Johns comment about easier ways to get from A-B, as things stand at the current time, Sven could very well be gaining access to NZ before i could if i wanted to fly, as the last thing i read is all inbound flights for non residents is closed until next year "at the earliest".

He might well be 'winging it' and hoping for the best, if he has not made an official clearance when sailing. Assuming he has papers showing departure date and he can pay for testing on arrival, there is a two week quarantine time after a positive test, then after a negative test during the quarantine, problems re the virus should be over. Staying on the boat solves the main issues.Cruisers have lived aboard for months during the lock-down and now (with easing of restrictions) some are sick of it (mainly the winter cold temps) and are leaving for warmer shores... Fiji is open to those coming from here who can be tested and go through the process mentioned above.
    Sven being a creature who apparently relishes the cold and damp should do fine heading for the Southern Ocean and the islands therein. Maybe he would do well to land in Ireland for restocking and to get recogniseable departure documents?.He looks to be making a course that would take him that way, but I don't know if any port is open on the west side for him to enter or leave from...The Dingle peninsular was where he previously departed from I think?
    Last edited by Lugalong; 07-20-2020 at 04:59 PM.

There is an update on Svens site. The gist is the boat is not performing as well as he hoped upwind due to overloading, and he is having a problem with his rudder setting rope. He is concerned with keeping a good clearence from oil platforms and land, so is biding his time to catch wind that will take him West away from land. Otherwise he is apparently in good spirits.