Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Sven Yrvind has set sail.....

Default Re: Sven Yrvind has set sail.....

Quote Originally Posted by Flobart View Post
    Lugalong, if i recall, i read a story of Jung-Jung in a boat magazine so many years ago. Was she not a converted lifeboat? I think it was the first Junk style boat i had seen with headsails, and many things made "good sense". You are "THAT" guy?

Sven says he has 10,000 books in his unit to dispose of to gain room. Maybe he can do so at an angle.
    Yep Flobart, I am that guy and you will have an idea of what I talk about, but will take the liberty to post a diagram of Jung Jung as well, since others may be interested and not take it as thread drift. Boat built in sections as john Wellsford mentions is what I also think could be a solution along with having a lifting ballast fin keel that can be removed for trailer transport. Rig included has battens and buoyancy characteristic that aids in capsize prevention.Jung Rig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Yep Flobart, I am that guy and you will have an idea of what I talk about, but will take the liberty to post a diagram of Jung Jung as well, since others may be interested and not take it as thread drift. Boat built in sections as john Wellsford mentions is what I also think could be a solution along with having a lifting ballast fin keel that can be removed for trailer transport. Rig included has battens and buoyancy characteristic that aids in capsize prevention.Jung Rig.jpg
    Oh, yes, please!

Yep Flobart, I am that guy
    Jerry, i know Jung Jung had some impact on peoples ideas, some of which my have dismissed the entire idea/effectivness. She had some interesting features.

Jerry, i know Jung Jung had some impact on peoples ideas, some of which my have dismissed the entire idea/effectivness. She had some interesting features.
    Main or most important thing about Jung Jung rig was that it was very low stress and kind (in terms of loadings) on a fairly lightly built hull that was getting on in years. Pic above shows the hull as found after lying in the tropical sun for many years after coming off the mother ship and could at that date (1980) have been as much as 70 years old... Hull was built by Kerstholt sloep en bootbouwers Groningen Holland. Experience gained with this boat is useful in application to a design such as Sven promotes and I am trying to finish a design illustration to post here on this thread. Problem is suppliers are about to shut down for year end break and I need to get a list of materials and orders on hand to make progress on my Polynesian double canoe(Proa Pahi) in order to complete and launch early in the new year. Any spare moment available between fabricating gear for the new shunter rig, will be spent finishing the drawing and posting here.

Made a bit of an effort to work up a quick 50:1 plan and a sketch to illustrate a boat of length and beam that Sven is aiming to build. Beam of 1.4 M is his choice, so this is what I drew in order to have a take on what this/his boat proportion might look like. More beam is what I would prefer and in which case the rig could be taller. Idea with the hatches is to use the one after the mast to effect headsail changes by climbing into an Eskimo-like parka that covers a circular apperture in the sliding hatch. When folded up this parka/skirt is intended to be watertight, much like a rubber tube vent cover when folded. After hatch mimics the one used by Serge Testa on acrohc Austrais, which is a sealed lid that doubles as a seat with some padding on the inside.This plan it to possibly hinge the lid either forwards or aft. Modular structure has the sections joining at a bulkhead that divies the lifting keel slot.Keel has a box section upper portion that protrudes above deck when lifted, with a foil section fin protruding below and onto which the ballast bulk(in the for of a semi-wing) is bolted.Sven thread boat plan.jpgSven thread boat hatch schematic.jpgSven thread boat hatch schematic.jpg

Nice one Lug. The parka idea is like an inuit tuilik on a kayak, that would save having wet oilies below.

Nice one Lug. The parka idea is like an inuit tuilik on a kayak, that would save having wet oilies below.
    Thanks for that, so Tuilik must be the correct word and also it should have been Inuit rather than "Eskimo" . Details obviously need to be worked out and the above sketch/drawing was hurriedly done, so lots of room for improvement and length should have been written as 8.4M rather than 8.2.... not sure how I got it so wrong there, because Sven's length is what it should be. Will take time to do a decent drawing or two of the same concept or idea. Time has been a pressing thing, but I now have materials to get the Pahi leeboard/rudders made, after some shopping and managing to get my wife to carry my arc welder outside on a sunny day (not because I am a shauve but because a recent double heria op called for it) , which was all enough help toward making the s/steel fittings, including the OB motor bracket. Down time over the festive season should allow me to put my hand to pen and paper and come up with better drawings.
    Last edited by Lugalong; 12-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks for that, so Tuilik must be the correct word and also it should have been Inuit rather than "Eskimo" .
    That was the Inuit word for that item, it is something entirely different in Greenland and different indigenous groups. Hope the hernia heals well, dont over do it. Look forward to seeing the craft on the beach.

That was the Inuit word for that item, it is something entirely different in Greenland and different indigenous groups. Hope the hernia heals well, dont over do it. Look forward to seeing the craft on the beach.
    Hernias have been a small inconvenience associated with with having a catheter inserted as part of a dialysis program that hopefully ends in a kidney transplant. In a few weeks time I should be able to lift and finish the 3M long leeboard/rudders for the proa, then should be able to launch and trial sail the Proa Pahi early in the new year. Pics of the Pahi on the beach are there for you to see in the SO Pahi thread here in this forum.
    Meanwhile, as I am on light duty, dreaming and scheme-ing of minimalist type boats can fill in empty moments. Using waterproof fabric items like a tuilik and even soft bulkheads down below, should be helpful in keeping a small habitation space dry and warm.

Yrvind making models based on the same beam limits.

Says he is ready to start building the full size sailing model from 15mm plywood. Not sure what he intends, as that does not bend easy.

Hes going to do glued lapp?
    Ragnar B.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzenman View Post
    Hes going to do glued lapp?
    I would not think so, he has not talked of it. Maybe rip the ply into strips? He has the space, has the ply and the design on hand.

I am surprised by the use of the bow board, he blocked that off on an earlier boat.

Sketch-plan above looks a bit like Bris in lug rig config, which he tried before changing to sloop with a fin keel and of course the hull was diagonal cold moulded ply using resorcinol glue, although, weight of masts and spars should make a considerable difference now, if he now uses cf composites.
    Appeal of a wooden whaleboat is easy to see, but the appendages that he has drawn do not make sense.

He has the best excuse to escape from xmas to the shed......molds complete.

The raised topside should add a bit more room, but despite his "much bigger boat", its still pretty small.

There will be an interview of Sven with Sailing La Vagabonde (youtube), when they met in Azores, on Friday 25th Dec.

Hull cross-section shown by his mold forms above follows the basic Sloepen type workboat (as in pic of post#102 above). This section is created by extending ribs over a flattish run of bottom planking in the way of hog and garboards, then bending them(ribs) up into the topsides. Traditionally this type hull would be built-up on a keel and be right-side up. As Sven is going about things - using a strong-back and setting the molds bottom up, he has obviously little space restriction and lack of concern for material wastage, although, the plan to duplicate hull ends might mitigate the space issue.
    Working around a flat bottom, as per a Dory type hull, offers the possibility of using only material that ends up in te boat it'self.

Interesting interview with Yrvind on the 'Sailing La Vagabonde' youtube channel:

Hull molds half done.....

[QUOTE=Clarkey;6349304]Interesting interview with Yrvind on the 'Sailing La Vagabonde' youtube channel:

I was going to mention that too, it gave me insights I've never seen before

Molds complete

He is going to rip 15mm birch plywood into 6cm strips. Seems way heavier than needed for its displacement.

This idea of duplicating hull ends is what I was onto back in the early 1970's when first reading about Sven and his double ender Bris. At about the same time I came across the book Project Cheers (covering the Transat proa designed by RichardNewick), so yup, it is interesting to see that Sven has come back to this plan... if indeed this was the way he built the first Bris).

Molds complete

He is going to rip 15mm birch plywood into 6cm strips. Seems way heavier than needed for its displacement.
    There is absolutely no advantage to using ply that way. Why not just use wood?

Ah, well. He’s a beast. I like watching him do his thing while I spin in circles...

Having gone down the route of strong back with stations and battens, it makes sense to go double diagonal cold moulded, with ply strips of anything from 2.5mm plywood up to 6mm, and which will in every possible way be better than this weird, overweight and messy option. To cap-off the craziness of it, would be to include another OTT factor like a carbon fibre laminate as well, which will not be a surprise if it happens.... looking at the basic trend of the Exlex line of boats.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

One of their few thumbnails that does not feature ripe fruits

she asks him,"do you have a fridge?"..just shoot me
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 12-29-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Having gone down the route of strong back with stations and battens, it makes sense to go double diagonal cold moulded, with ply strips of anything from 2.5mm plywood up to 6mm, and which will in every possible way be better than this weird, overweight and messy option. To cap-off the craziness of it, would be to include another OTT factor like a carbon fibre laminate as well, which will not be a surprise if it happens.... looking at the basic trend of the Exlex line of boats.
    His words were "a sailing mock-up". So, perhaps he will just leave a small gap to epoxy between the planks then fair it off before a light glass skin? Unlikely to be his last boat.

Agree cold moulded would be better, even strip with real wood as Amish suggested. 15mm birch is heavy, im not sure what he was thinking of, it wont behave the same as one made with foam sandwhich.

Wizz, they just left on a 5 day passage and run out of gas on day one. The stress of being a utuber maybe? I do not think they liked Svens response about ocean not being any more dirty than before, and that he thinks "green" companies scare monger for budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    One of their few thumbnails that does not feature ripe fruits

she asks him,"do you have a fridge?"..just shoot me
    That was cool. And it was ghastly.

He talks exactly like I’d imagined!

Cut the strips down to 5cm or 2inch.

Will soon find out if he is going to plank first and epoxy later or edge glue as he goes. He has had help to cut 2 sheets into strips, so he has some material to work with today at least.

Well, he sure ain’t effing about, is he?

I DO like the shape. I still wouldn’t use ply like that, though. So much glue and extra weigh involved with wood that had half the grain oriented the wrong way...

But, again, far be it from me to question him about his deal.

More strength to his elbows!

It's understandable that he needs to eyeball the shape in order to determine whether the lines are OK and that there are no kinks or bulges where the ends meet amidships. You really need to try doing something similar in getting down to the details, and yes I have done this a few times, so can accept that planking with the plywood strips can be helpful in determining the shape before going ahead with a final cold moulded hull. I just hope he is going to build a wooden hull and not use the plug to do another foam core job, producing another bit of floating plastic to litter the Ocean.Using some foam up in the deck area and as an insulator to prevent condensation makes sense, but the thought of a hastily faired and finished sandwich hull is repulsive. Even though I envy his workspace, starting a fully composites boat and seeing it through to the finish in there is hardly an appealing task, especially if it involves making anything like coal dust from te sanding of carbon fibre.
    Last edited by Lugalong; 12-31-2020 at 06:18 PM.

No mention, and i can not see any glue between the planks, so it looks like it will be a dry assembly, unless that was a dry fit just for the photo; it should be clear in a few more days when some more planks are fitted.

Another interview with Sven Yrvind

A fair amount about his boat and some of the systems on board on this one.

I've not come across Sam Holmes (the interviewer) before, but have just watched his two videos of the crossing he made from Bermuda to the Azores. Very down to earth guy. No flashy boats, 'ripe fruits', invented drama or other clickbait. It was an enjoyable hour.