Thread: CLC wowsers again!

Default CLC wowsers again!

The guider double ender looks beautiful no I'm not going to build it
    https://youtu.be/AlL3bQqYiv8
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Default Re: CLC wowsers again!

John Guider had it designed for him by the good people at CLC, and R2AK'd it. Unfortunately, he DNFd

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-rac...f-or-you-dont/
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Ticks a lot of boxes. I'd put a Bermudan rig in it.

10K for the whole caboodle!

That boat captured my attention at the Ruckus! It will be interesting to see whether or not it captures enough imaginations to become popular.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

sure hope he brings one to the next Port Aransas WoodenBoat Festival

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Lazy jacks let you have a dodger, but that same dodger prevents you from quickly getting that rig down to row long distances. The devil is in the trade-offs.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

That looks just about right. Some assembly required.

It's a good looking boat and slips through the water nice.

I know they have their reasons for the inboard dagger-rudder, but in Maine, woo-eee I would be not want it for the kind of gunkholing I do up here.

10K? If that is good, I have been left behind in the financial dustbin of history.

A neat looking boat. With a beam over 6' and 200+ pounds of lead ballast, it's also a big heavy boat--more of an engineless cruiser than a 50/50-ish sail and oar boat. I'm guessing it's a self-bailing cockpit? The sailor who commissioned it has done some serious open boat cruising--the Great Loop in a CLC Skerry--so this new design probably includes everything he was wishing he had by the end of that trip.

I suspect I'd want the anchor somewhere it can be more easily deployed.

Not sure what the appeal of a dodger is, but I know a lot of people seem to like them. Not for me.

I think I could build 3 more Alaskas for the price, though. Building boats (or kits) as a business probably requires pricing like that, and the kit no doubt saves lots of time. Everything's a trade-off.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

The Skeery always makes my ticker tick a bit faster, but I wonder if she's too small. Passagemaker is "right size", and I like prams, but - - -no ticking. This new Guider is double- ended, and plenty large enough for what I have in mind.

We tow a CLC Eastport Pram behind the Albin and we like everything about it.

Gorgeous boat, for sure! The sailing aspect looks perfect, but at 72 she may be a bit much for this old goat to row.

I think I would like to see a capsize test and re-boarding before I got too excited. Freeboard seems very high but I guess it is meant to be loaded down to it's marks with gear.

While I was waiting for more information to come available on Guider, I ordered a CLC Southwester Dory Manual to see what building one of the larger CLC boats would be like. I think that the Guider is definitely a very well thought out "niche" design, but that for most people, Southwester would be a more suitable choice.

I doff my hat to John Guider for his accomplishments and expect to hear more about him and the Guider.

BTW, I was VERY impressed by the CLC manual. 300+ pages, excellent photos by prototype builder Geoff Kerr (Two Daughters Boat Works), and text that even I could understand. Definitely worth it to see if one of these kits would be right for you. Someday . . .
    Last edited by Brian W.; 07-01-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Sailed my new-to-me CLC Eastport Pram "IMP" today in strong gusty winds on Tomales Bay -- lured there by promised predicted winds of 6-8 but had whitecaps instead. Very well behaved for the size, did take a bit of water through the handhold in the pram bow.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Sailed my new-to-me CLC Eastport Pram "IMP" today in strong gusty winds on Tomales Bay -- lured there by promised predicted winds of 6-8 but had whitecaps instead. Very well behaved for the size, did take a bit of water through the handhold in the pram bow.
    That's what I didn't like about those CNC handholds I would opt for external handles but it's not meant for rough water glad it went well! I'm glad mine went down the road on somebody else's car!

John has drawn a yawl rig for the Guider. No structural changes from the standardboat and easy with the cassette rudder arrangement.

Gavin Watson is building his Guider with a small cuddy cabin so he can sleep in it. Made a nice job of the proportions too.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2_PE...TDjYKLw/videos

His video streams are here...

CLC kits and plans are 10% off at the minute when I looked. Guider plans are full size parts.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-25-2022 at 07:25 AM.

In that drawing above, where is the helmsman sitting, do you think?

There doesn't seem to be any side bench. Seems like an impossible location to sit in. He's not up on the rail.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Lots of raised cockpit floor
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

The sailing canoe I'm putting together combining an old Old Town rig and a refurbished, almost equally old, fiberglass canoe will have an outboard push-pull rudder linked to an inboard tiller. Something similar would work here in the Guider, but with the link passing through a hole in the stern quarter instead of over the gunnel as in my canoe. Said hole could have a slotted rubber membrane to make it a bit more weatherproof. I dislike both lanyards and push-pull sticks for steerage in canoes.

BTW, I like this Guider a LOT, however, maybe with much simpler construction, like a large Skerry. I not going to be doing any expedition sailing.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 06-25-2022 at 04:08 PM.