Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: New Toys, watchu gots??

Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    I've looked at that style of post-hole tool and left them right there in the store. I have one of these, but have to recover it from a neighbour so I can replace the back fence now I've mostly stripped the ivy off it's rotten remains.

Geeze that’s a big auger. I have one about 6 inches across. They need to sell them both left and right. Otherwise you get worked out on one side but not the other. I got it down to about 25’. No water.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I haven't bought much lately, though I did invest (these suckers are getting expensive) in a new custom set of Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats bass strings for my mint 1969 Hagstrom Eight-String bass guitar.
    That's a sweet bass. How do you like the Thomastic Infelds? I've heard good things about them but never tried them on my guitars.

What are you doing about it?

I ain't got nothin' new, but my wife is going wild remodeling one of the guest rooms. She wants to fix it as a family guest room for our daughter, SIL and baby grandaughter. Of course, guess who gets to do all the work?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Is that an Elektra Beckum mitre saw? I bought one of those way back before Makita & the like were readily available. Mine has quite a few more miles on it than yours by the look of it. Still runs perfectly (and quietly!).
    It is, I always run induction motors when I can, omga and Electra beckum, couldn't stand those screaming skull brush motor chop saws. Might be better now, don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Geeze that’s a big auger. I have one about 6 inches across. They need to sell them both left and right. Otherwise you get worked out on one side but not the other. I got it down to about 25’. No water.
    Mine is 250mm diameter, or approx. 10". I could really do with a 200mm one for the fence posts, but there not cheap and I only need to do 6 or 7 holes. Most I've had it down was the last post on the front deck, about 50", which involved digging some clearance with a spade for the bar because the whole thing is only 48" long. That needed plenty of water because I was going through clay in the height of summer. It was scraping of tiny bits that looked like pencil sharpenings, so I slung a bucket of water down the hole and came back 15 minutes later and then it just cut straight through.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

My water is at about 1/4" at present. Still raining!

Miata.jpg Just got this back on the road. 1994 Miata.

I got a Northern Tool Power Horse 3500 watt inverter generator. Last power outage lasted a day and a half but we’re about to have more frozen meat and I don’t want to keep those freezers running on one portable generator.
    Last edited by LeeG; 06-25-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    ^ photo isn't straight.
    Heh.
    The bubble is between the lines.

69E1E24A-A37C-432C-A9F9-0005F4C9A270.jpg
    Well, the ‘yak is not new, but the ebike is, as is the trailer.

How do you like the Thomastic Infelds? I've heard good things about them but never tried them on my guitars.
    I also have them on my Hofner Beatle Bass (500/1 V63) because they have nice tone and are lower in tension than most, since Hofners tend to need neck resets. They do a nice job with the sort of hollow, woody tone that Hofners can generate.

Sample: This is a voice and guitar demo that one of our guys (Rick Frank) sent out a few years ago. I added a Hofner bass line and then everything else was done on my old synthesizer. I don't play keyboards, so I mark all the keys that I'll need for a track with colored tape and press record and play the part. We ended up using a different version, but this was fun to do and you can hear the Hofner with the Thomastic Infeld strings.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hke2um3oe3...20mix.mp3?dl=0

I also use the TI strings on my Rickenbacker twelve strings. The primary strings tend to be rather dull which kind of accentuates the octave strings, creating extra "jangle" for that vintage Byrds-like sound and the low tension helps the playability.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ive87qxep9...tring.mp3?dl=0

I'm not much of a six-string player, so I really don't know how they would be on something like a Strat or Tele. I suspect they might be too dull, but it would likely depend on what they were run through and what effects were used. Probably pretty nice on a big hollow jazz box though.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    its too bad we dont live on the same continent, you could come over and show me how to dig holes. i would just watch and learn. and sip my lemonade.
    Be happy to demonstrate for you Grasshopper I have a 5' 6", high tensile steel round bar with a slightly angled two inch wide cutting blade on the business end- spring steel and sharp. I have purpose built post hole shovels. I can dig a hole fifteen inches wide and thirty inches deep in bone dry rocky soil in fifteen minutes. Biggest fencing job I did single handed was five thousand yards, mostly through heavy timber. I cleared the line by hand, fenced the entire line with eight foot long triangular posts I ripped out with chainsaws and put them in eight yards apart. I've done over twenty miles of new fence and built several sets of cattle yards, sheep yards, sheds etc. The price I pay for mostly being an employee and not the man with the big stick and the bag of money JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    It is, I always run induction motors when I can, omga and Electra beckum, couldn't stand those screaming skull brush motor chop saws. Might be better now, don't know.
    if you win lotto, you might consider getting a demo on a Festool. I'm not sure of the motor type but the one in the factory I was working in last week was almost silent.
    Eerie in fact.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

This week's other arrivals, some packets of bronze mallard.

Z18_2688_01.jpg

Claret dabbler production begins...

Z18_2697.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    If I were a landscaping pro - I'd choose Stihl also. Spendy, but worth it. Festool is really well-built stuff, but they've not got the industry foundation/knowledge that Stihl does.

If I were a pro on a budget - I'd be happy to have either the Makita or Milwaukee tools. And since those are the two cordless brands I already own... those were what I looked at.
    It will be Makita and Festool for inside the workshop David, I've several Festool tools and love them to bits. I like Makita in part because they're decent contractor level tools but also because I have to repair power tools as part of my work, and the Makita people have always had any spares I needed. Not so with any other brand.
    My outdoor tools I already have, Stihl chainsaw and weed whacker with all the attachments. Wonderful tools and I've never had a moments trouble with them.
    Ryobi, Bosch, Black and Decker, and the big box hardware store house brands, I wont even look at. I tell owners that they get what they pay for, and they didnt pay much for those.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    ...I like Makita in part because they're decent contractor level tools but also because I have to repair power tools as part of my work, and the Makita people have always had any spares I needed...
    On that front John, can you recommend somewhere on the North Shore to take my Makita brushless 18v drill-driver? The keyless chuck keeps jamming after an episode with an exceptionally tough bit of concrete in the garage I was trying to drill to fix some shelves.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

IMG_6998.jpg

happy bunny.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Ryobi, Bosch, Black and Decker, and the big box hardware store house brands, I wont even look at. I tell owners that they get what they pay for, and they didnt pay much for those.

John Welsford[/QUOTE]

I agree with you John.............However!!
    I believe it is only fair to say that I built my Navigator "Lady Eliana" using.......
    A $19.00 Black and Decker Jigsaw.
    All the Ply, Western Red Cedar and Saligna was cut with it.
    It finally died part way through cutting the Keel piece.
    That was a long and hard bit of timber though.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I built my tool kit from cheap carp.
    slowly, as I find the tools I REALLY need, I replace with as good as I can afford.
    its like Clash of Clans, eventually I'll up grade to warehouse sized workshop with panel saw and extractor vents for days.
    And a magic catapult.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post

John Welsford
    I agree with you John.............However!!
    I believe it is only fair to say that I built my Navigator "Lady Eliana" using.......
    A $19.00 Black and Decker Jigsaw.
    All the Ply, Western Red Cedar and Saligna was cut with it.
    It finally died part way through cutting the Keel piece.
    That was a long and hard bit of timber though.[/QUOTE]

I was talking to a young builder in Lismore a few years ago and he was tickled pink because he'd just picked up some Black and Decker tools at a yard sale. I said you've got to be kidding- those are crap. He said no no no, these are the old ones- the original Black and Decker were tradesman quality- as good as anything on the market.
    My wife bought me a Ryobi drill last year. I only used it a few times and the keyless chuck seized up. I can't even get it open enough to get at the screw inside the chuck to remove it, so I'm going to have to cut it off in pieces. I hate keyless chucks. Even when they work I can't get them to hold tight enough for the stuff I want to drill. JayInOz

The AC/DC tig welder arrived yesterday, good for pretty much anything from aluminium to stainless.
    I need to lay hands on an argon bottle, then figure out how to drive this beast - after the imprecision of stick welding, I'm really looking forward to mastering this. I used to be passably good at gas welding, hopefully some of the skills are transferable.
    Bossweld-TS-200-AC-DC-Tig-stick-Inverter-Welder.jpg

I also bought a little 1 ton chain hoist today, as I need something to get the drill mill of the trailer (tomorrow?). It was going to be 30 bucks to hired one for half a day, or $64 to buy a cheapo Chinese one outright.
    Would I trust it to lift a ton, maybe not. It actually looks surprisingly solid where it counts, but the chain is a bit of an unknown quantity. Three metres of 6mm proof test chain would be a very economical upgrade, but what's there will be fine for what I bought it for.

Pete

Pete I bought a chain hoist here a few years ago at the annual "Mudgee Small Farm Field Days"- Ummed and aahed and finally gave the man my money. At a site a few yards further along another feller had twelve volt boat winches for about the same money- Bugger says I A mate of mine bought one for dragging timber on to his truck. I was seriously impressed with the work it did. I mainly use the chain hoist for lifting the crate on and off my ute and for dragging dead sheep up in the tree while I turn 'em into food. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    It will be Makita and Festool for inside the workshop David, I've several Festool tools and love them to bits. I like Makita in part because they're decent contractor level tools but also because I have to repair power tools as part of my work, and the Makita people have always had any spares I needed. Not so with any other brand.
    My outdoor tools I already have, Stihl chainsaw and weed whacker with all the attachments. Wonderful tools and I've never had a moments trouble with them.

John Welsford
    Personally, I've had a really good run out of Bosch cordless tools - I go one step up from the budget home grade. The batteries have died before the tools, and at that point it's more economical to buy a whole new whatever. Of all the assorted brand name corded tool I have, Ryobi is consistently the nastiest.
    Diesel mechanic son loves Makita, but highly unimpressed with DeWalt - cordless drills, BIG break your wrist rattle guns, and angle grinders. He says lots of the DeWalt gear dies in a full-on trucking workshop environment, Makita doesnt.

Pete

Only thing I’ve been buying lately is shares of a small Biopharm. If it goes well there might be an interesting toy or 2 arriving.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    Sweet. Have you done or plan on any mods? My main pulley seal is leaking a little, so it might be time to try a lightened flywheel for grins.

Picked up this little Kuda 2.6 hp kicker for my vintage 1968 Alacrity twin keeler - came this week but have not had time to fire it up yet
    For $499, seems like a decent little motor - we shall see!

kuda-performance-sport-pontoon-boats-804928-4f_1000.jpg

Also, got a new PFD for my little girl Emma - not a new "toy" per se.....but she loves it, and being on the water with me!

20200616_175829.jpg

20200616_181228.jpg

My brother has been bugging me that our business needs a "dedicated bush-hog tractor" for several years. So when this showed up on our local C-list, I relented.

This is now the only tractor we own that's less than 60 years old -- my, what changes a half of a century can make! Diesel, 4wd, 8spd, live PTO, power steering, locker diff -- it's a whole new world!

Of course, it's a little beat-up looking, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Tom

New computer monitor. Figuring out how to connect to old computer. Computer is USB-2, monitor is Thunderbolt, USB-3.

Computer is mini-Displayport. Monitor is HDMI or Display port. Can't buy adapter until monitor arrives so I can tell whether Display port is male or female...

Computer has FW800 peripherals, extremely important. New computer world laughs when you mention that.

Computer has CD/DVD burner. Very important part of backup process. New computer world actually believes hard drives are more reliable than gold DVDs. (Crazy)

Not ready to replace computer for another couple years.

Fun, fun, fun.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    My brother has been bugging me that our business needs a "dedicated bush-hog tractor" for several years. So when this showed up on our local C-list, I relented.

This is now the only tractor we own that's less than 60 years old -- my, what changes a half of a century can make! Diesel, 4wd, 8spd, live PTO, power steering, locker diff -- it's a whole new world!

Of course, it's a little beat-up looking, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Tom
    Having gone from a 2N Ford to a MF35, to a modern 4WD diesel, I can relate. 4WD alone makes a huge diff in the amount of work you can do - especially with a loader. Have fun with it!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post

Very nice, Brian!
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Time for a new chainsaw after 30 some years.

ms170.png

Let's just say it was not as easy as I thought to bring the old Stihl 009L back to life. Might have something to do with declining eyesight and finger dexterity in my old age. It still will happen, but I have logs to cut that can't wait.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain