Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 132223

Thread: New Toys, watchu gots??

Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Thanks, Yo.

As long as I keep pretending to make stuff from wood, I’ll have hand sharpening to do; I got too many weird shaped blades.

Anything that can remove the bulk of the work in a cost effective manner would be welcome. I’m probably 50/50 sharpening working, now.
    Looking more closely at the Shinko Shinsei, it's clear that it is aimed at kitchen knives, and the wheels are a different size from the Makita.

There is a pretty wide variety of wet wheel grinders out there, though, so you should be able to find something that will serve.

53655A24-EBA5-408A-914B-F37692613445.jpg
    Good news! My shoulders are holding up! As is my new “toy”; which, technically it is a toy, I suppose, as it is not totally monetized, as yet...

Anyway. This one ain’t bent, yet, and I can still remember how to do stuff that I thought I forgot.

Which, maybe THAT’S why my thumbs are so painful, lately?

Not many spokes in that wheel.Was it tensioning them and truing the wheel that led to sore thumbs?

^ I thought maybe it was just me.

CC51162E-792A-4739-AC62-620D4F67E9E2.jpg
    Out here being a good dad has progressed. Relearning jumps and bump jumps on the fixed wheel lead to bunny hops on the fixed wheel, which lead to... well, the bottom of the fork touches during some of these fun things, and the jarring impact of either success or failure tends to remind me why my thumbs don’t work well, anymore.

Of course, I’m learning to keep control without wrapping the thumbs.

Improvise!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Attachment 95435

New Gator Retractable tonneau cover. Hard aluminum rolls into cassette.
    coAttachment 95435
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Invalid attachment, but still a very cool gadget.

Yeah, having problems posting photos today...................well not just today. At least the ones that are showing aren't my usual sideways view.

I also installed a gas strut for tailgate assist. no more hard flop of the gate.
    Skip

My R/O crapped out years ago. I've been using my nephew's - mostly to work on his projects. In the middle of building a staircase for him, his sander gave up the ghost. He allowed a budget of $50 for a replacement. My back immediately started bitching about the extra hours it would have to spend hunched over a lump of rough wood with a toy sander in my hand.

I threw his Grant back in his face and bought myself the cheapest real sander I could find. If he ever actually wants to use a sander himself, he's gonna have to borrow this thing from me.

IMG_2752.jpg

Lots of power. Good dust management. And I'm really liking the slow start feature. $100 well spent.
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerRat View Post
    My R/O crapped out years ago. I've been using my nephew's - mostly to work on his projects. In the middle of building a staircase for him, his sander gave up the ghost. He allowed a budget of $50 for a replacement. My back immediately started bitching about the extra hours it would have to spend hunched over a lump of rough wood with a toy sander in my hand.

I threw his Grant back in his face and bought myself the cheapest real sander I could find. If he ever actually wants to use a sander himself, he's gonna have to borrow this thing from me.

IMG_2752.jpg

Lots of power. Good dust management. And I'm really liking the slow start feature. $100 well spent.
    I have been very favorably impressed with Ridgid tools, especially in the 'bang-for-the-buck' department.

Their laminate trimmer is a real score.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I have been very favorably impressed with Ridgid tools, especially in the 'bang-for-the-buck' department.

Their laminate trimmer is a real score.

I tend to favor Makita; mainly for cordless tools. It makes it easy to find a fully charged battery. This sander just ticked all the boxes. And the brand new box of discs I just bought for the old dead sander fit. And the local big box had one with my name on it. I needed a sander NOW!
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

A couple of these showed up today. Purchased in a moment of weakness, and they were on sale. I’m going from 50 amps useable on the old trojan to around 180-200 useable with no watering. LiFePo. 3000+ cycles. 10 year warranty. Interestingly shipped at 13.35 volts. (Edited voltage).

9887AB54-9275-4F44-8982-E36FFF06ED25.jpg
    Last edited by bluedog225; 10-22-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Nice. But, I’m keeping my Felcos.

And the whole hawg showed up today. Looks pretty good for an ebay purchase.

310A245E-4AF2-4C53-A896-BE83C7FE91CE.jpg

This relates back to post #729, this one should be a nice paddler.

hw1.jpg

hw2.jpg

Maasdam rope puller.
    IMG_1913.jpg
    $30 including 50' of line.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Maasdam rope puller.
    IMG_1913.jpg
    $30 including 50' of line.
    R
    Always useful. We call those a ComeAlong. Used for a variety of tasks in the shop/property, including the fencing stretch. I've even used a beefy one to lift a boat hull so it could be inverted for repairs.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    A couple of these showed up today. Purchased in a moment of weakness, and they were on sale. I’m going from 50 amps useable on the old trojan to around 180-200 useable with no watering. LiFePo. 3000+ cycles. 10 year warranty. Interestingly shipped at 13.35 volts. (Edited voltage).

9887AB54-9275-4F44-8982-E36FFF06ED25.jpg
    wow, and that was still a chunk of change.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Always useful. We call those a ComeAlong. Used for a variety of tasks in the shop/property, including the fencing stretch. I've even used a beefy one to lift a boat hull so it could be inverted for repairs.
    The typical cheesy, lightly built comealong with a wire winch reel is MUCH more annoying ,and limited by the length of wire.
    This one is Made in USA, with grade 5 bolts,easy in-out and the rope can can be changed out for any length of twisted three-strand of the same diameter.
    I also have fine, German, cast iron lever hoist with 5' of oversized bike chain.
    Nice to use, but not light and just when the slack is out,there is no more chain.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

The typical cheesy, lightly built comealong with a wire winch reel is MUCH more annoying ,and limited by the length of wire.
    This one is Made in USA, with grade 5 bolts,easy in-out and the rope can can be changed out for any length of twisted three-strand of the same diameter.
    I also have fine, German, cast iron lever hoist with 5' of oversized bike chain.
    Nice to use, but not light and just when the slack is out,there is no more chain.
    R
    Yes, it rather boggles when I see people using the cheapo versions... when the 'oops factor' is so potentially catastrophic. The perfect example of a tool NOT to buy at Harbor Freight.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

R
    but no high lift???

s-l500.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Earlier this year I sanded off the bottom of my ship. Right back to the wood, there were some repairs being done at the boatyard and as the haulout was already paid for, and the boatbuilders doing the repairs were good with it, I decided to do the job while she was out.
    43 ft, just under 15 tons, thats a lot of boat to do with a 125mm random orbit finishing sander but none of the other machines I had to hand were up to it. Scraped her down with a carbide scraper on a long handle, then sanded, sanded, and more sanded, about 3 hours at a time. Any more and my arms were close to falling off.

I plan to pull her out in a month or so, as soon as the spring weather settles a bit, and do the topsides.

This time though I have a new toy, a Rupes BR109AES random orbital, designed for " high removal rates". It has a 9mm orbit at up to 7000rpm, its 550 watt high torque motor will mean I can really lean on it while working without it slowing down.
    I've used Rupes gear before, they're not found in retail outlets, they're professional quality, serious machinery, beats everything I've come across apart from Festool, who dont make an equivalent machine.

I bought a mixed box of 100 Ekamant alox papers, 40, 60 and 80 grits. Again, not available in retail shops, top quality and more than worth the price.

While I'm not looking forward to a week or so stripping, sanding and painting, this should help.

https://colorex.co.nz/shop/products/...der-9mm-orbit/

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

John, I followed that link - quite an impressive machine, and with an adjustable valve in the dust collection.

Rick

Default New Toys, watchu gots??

Just scored this on fleaBay. $100 + $20 shipping.

A little research in the inter tubes says that it's a Hohner "Presswood" button box (melodeon, button accordion). Hohner stopped making that model c. 1930.

No idea what key it is. Or if it needs work. The seller said that it was gifted to her family by the widow of an accordion player that her mom cared for towards the end of his life.

Luckily, Petosa Accordions, oneof the best accordion makers in the world, is here in Seattle. I'll probably take it to them for a tune-up and look-over.

Looks to have been sold out this storefront in the Grüner Markt in Bamberg, Germany.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    but no high lift???

s-l500.jpg
    I have the Cdn version which is a JackAll(aka jackoff).
    I can get a pic of the present and former locations of a shed that we moved (vertical and lateral) last summer,but of the supersketchy move itself,all evidence has disappeared.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

As a teenager it took me nearly a year to amass this much gear.

newrack.jpg
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I still have no friends. Nice gear, I would have loved that as a teenager. I made do with paracord and washing line pullies..it's a wonder I'm still here to tell the tale.

I statrted climbing in my gap year and funded all my gear from a pretty crappy full-time job in a textile factory. Every weekend would be a couple of wired Rocks, or a quickdraw, save up a few weeks extra for the big expenses like the rope. Never got around to buying any friends. I really wanted to reproduce my old rack, which had 6 adn 9 Hexes on rope instead of those 10-14 wired Rocks, but all the Hexes were out of stock. I'll mainly be doing sports climbs, but a couple of the more local crages have some trad routes in the middle grades, so I thought I might as well gear up for both.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Haven't purchased yet, but I'm now shopping for an upgraded 'roughing gouge' for turning. Turning spars, oars, and other things is almost totally done with that tool, and it's time.

I'm thinking of the Carter & Sons 1.25" M42 gouge, but would be happy to hear other recommendations --

https://carterandsontoolworks.com/co...roughing-gouge

David G
    Harbor Woodworks