Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41314

Thread: New Toys, watchu gots??

Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

Arrived last night.
    No machining, thankfully, just assembly and painting.
    Both fiddly.
    Should look like this:

D R Mercer type 2.jpg
    Last edited by birlinn; 12-05-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Just about finished....
    No machining, but fairly fiddly assembly and painting.

003.jpg

Cute!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Just about finished....
    No machining, but fairly fiddly assembly and painting.

003.jpg
    You have given it a great paint job , Sir !!!

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    My wife bought me a cordless stick vacuum for christmas cos I moaned about the cord and the useless head on the other one.
    So we know who the smart one in this relationship is.
    Last year, I bought a Dyson V6 Animal (for folks with pets) cordless vacuum that really rocks.

It has a turbo mode that'll suck the grain out of a hardwood floor and enough battery life on the normal setting to do a few rooms at one go.

Whe we had to evacuate for a forest fire, the people we stayed with had a robo vac that seemed to work really well. So this is in the pile for Christmas. A Eufy 11S low-profile robo vac.

That's a very neat engine! We decided to treat ourselves for Christmas this year and bought a 36" Blackstone propane flattop grill. Once it warms up out on the patio (which is going to be a while) we can make our own Benihana-style Teppanyaki meals out there. I need to start practicing tossing shrimp tails up in the air with a spatula and catching them in my pocket. This thing should be fun. It will also turn out a thin and crispy, Steak & Shake-style hamburger.

blackstone.jpg

On the less cool side, this is a nice little chuck. It converts an SDS-plus type drill to accept regular bits (rotary only). German made. Feels solid.

45626ABA-DD87-4EA3-B709-A4F18F055429.jpg

Years ago, LL Bean had rifle sling belts for sale, made by Bianchi Gun Leather. Loved mine and was sad when it died.

Stumbled across Narragansett Leathers in Damariscotta, Maine, who makes them. Apparently, he started making them, because he had a lot of people coming in with the the LL Bean/Bianchi belts for a rebuild.

I ordered two of them, custom made to fit, just over a week ago. $54 each — I've spent more than that for belts that are much less nice. They showed up yesterday.

Love them.

The old belt was great but Bianchi didn't buff the sling frogs. Alan McKinnon did a fine job of that. And English bridle leather. Should be good for life as long as I keep them greased

Rifle Sling Belts by Nicholas Carey, on Flickr
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I got a 520 gigabyte iPhone 12 Pro Max.

0A7DD054-4790-415B-9797-A571DBB80BE0.jpg
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

I ordered this shiny beast today.

Some random YouTube guy playing the same guitar, though this one has been distressed.

Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 12-26-2020 at 03:40 AM.

Who knew Mrs. See’s made router bits? I got a nice set of compression blade double bearing pattern bits. (3rd one not shown).

83751F8E-C1DC-4955-B9C7-D031EB5A898E.jpg

^ Good thing you didn't just grab one without looking, and take a bite . . . or 'regift' without looking inside

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    ^ Good thing you didn't just grab one without looking, and take a bite . . . or 'regift' without looking inside
    The box was suspiciously heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The box was suspiciously heavy.
    What a genius pairing!

Nothing goes with chocolate like a brace of compression-bits!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Some random YouTube guy playing the same guitar, though this one has been distressed.
    Maybe it's just old. A bandmate had a 1930s National resonator guitar, with a palm tree etched on the back.

He got it for $10 at a garage sale. He tried to talk the old lady into taking more money, but she said her husband used to play it and she hated how it sounded.

When the band broke up, I tried to buy it, but he loved the thing.

Herself has creaky joints and running a vacuum bothers her shoulder, so I got a Eufy 11S robovac.

Works really well. Very good at cleaning edges and under furniture. It did one whole floor of our house on a single charge.

The dog snaps at it when it comes close. The old cat stalks it, and when it turns back, flees.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Maybe it's just old. A bandmate had a 1930s National resonator guitar, with a palm tree etched on the back.

He got it for $10 at a garage sale. He tried to talk the old lady into taking more money, but she said her husband used to play it and she hated how it sounded.

When the band broke up, I tried to buy it, but he loved the thing.
    I love the etched bodies, I'm sad I couldn't get one on mine. I had to buy a selection of 5 various slides and a new two-guitar a-frame stand to console myself over the matter.

It's mentioned in the comments section for the video that the guitar has been "reliced," IOW, made to look old. I'm not a fan of this when done on wooden-body guitars but I like it with steel and plain un-etched nickel plating. I've already worked out how the neck comes off mine and found a few ways to antique the body.

I cannot say I had ever heard of these router bits. I did a quick online search to see what they were all about.

"Until recently there have been few bearing guided spiral router bits available, so that woodworkers have had to use spiral bits with guide bushings. While guide bushings are useful in some routing tasks, including edge trimming operations, they're awkward to use on a router table. More importantly though, guide bushings aren't always concentric with the bit.

Whiteside, one of the last remaining router bit manufacturers in North America, have introduced a new line of Ultimate Trim Bits.

These solid micrograin carbide spiral bits feature high shear cutting angles with compression action. The cutting edge closest to the tip has an up-cut design, while the lower cutting edge has a down-cut design. And, of course, the result is no tear out on either the top or bottom edges of your stock.

There are three styles to choose from: an end-bearing flush trim bit, which is ideal for flush trimming with a hand held router (though you can also use it on a router table); a shank-bearing pattern trim bit; and a double-bearing trim bit. Both the pattern and double-bearing bits are excellent for use on a router table. The double bearing bit lets you rout half your stock in one direction against one of the bearings, flip the work piece over, and then rout the other half in the opposite direction against the other bearing, without repositioning your pattern."

Useful when the face veneers are esp. thin... or fragile... or expensive... or of a species/material that's prone to splintering. Compression is not necessary - and tends to be very expensive to buy and to sharpen - unless both faces are 'show' faces.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Another bit of kitchen gear. When we were evacuated for a forest fire, one of our hosts had this electric knife sharpener and recommended it highly.

I just sat down with our collection of kitchen cutlery and spent a couple hours.

It does a great job and will handle single-bevel Japanese blades and serrated ones.

My test is to slice a ripe tomato with no pressure: z-z-z-ip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Another bit of kitchen gear. When we were evacuated for a forest fire, one of our hosts had this electric knife sharpener and recommended it highly.

I just sat down with our collection of kitchen cutlery and spent a couple hours.

It does a great job and will handle single-bevel Japanese blades and serrated ones.

My test is to slice a ripe tomato with no pressure: z-z-z-ip.

I have had one since the 80s. Haven't used it in years.

Works great on knives that don't have a bolster, like this one:

Forged knives with a bolster or anything else that prevents the operator from making a complete run the length of the blade with it will eventually hollow the edge.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Got these DeWalt shop safety goggles in my stocking. They fit completely over my prescription eyeglasses without interfering at all. VERY comfortable and I can see where sharp things are again. Highly recommended if you wear glasses.

390C240C-A59E-445A-8783-64572A55F590.jpeg

I've got most of the major 'wood identification' books, but never bought the grand-daddy from Constantine. A buddy rectified that for Christmas. It's a time capsule, but still useful and in some ways unique --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks