Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10192021 ... LastLast

Thread: New Toys, watchu gots??

Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

^ Thanks, Hugh !

I am going to have to start sharpening stuff - I used to have a guy who came to the local farmer's market on a weekly basis in a van with all his equipment to sharpen knives, etc. He did good work, and was an economical solution for me. The farmer's market shut down early on in the pandemic ; since it's recent reopening, he has not been there . . .

Rick

If you don't do a lot you might just think about the glass/sandpaper espoused by the "Scary Sharp" guys. I did that for a long time, but when our archery/bowyery (is that a word?) group started taking off I ended up sharpening everybody's tools and after a year or so I realized I'd spent enough on wet/dry sandpaper to buy a sharpener. I was mostly sharpening plane irons, chisels, drawknives and spokeshaves...single bevel tools, but I used it on my wife's kitchen knives, too and she was pretty happy. Dunno how it'd work for scissors & stuff.

Look what link I just received. Sharpening using the same grinder I mentioned, and the same jig I'll be putting on it. Straight edges, like chisels and plane irons, are essentially the same process.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2019...mid=1330941563
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Many of the turners I know seem to be using the Rikon 8" low-speed grinder. I'm considering getting one, so I don't have to shift gears in my brain from "I'm turning" to "I'm sharpening... must be careful not to burn an edge". Already got the 'Wolverine' sharpening jigs in order to make it as mindless as possible.
    Shouldn't there be a setup where one could mount a grinding wheel to the outboard end of the head stock?

I've never seen such a beast, but it seems like a natural.

Rude Osolnik would go nuts for it.
    Rattling the teacups.

I got my baby tractor on Friday, I've done 10 hrs since then and it's been storms and heavy rain on and off most of the time. It's fun and it's getting numerous bugging me jobs out of the way.

New Husqvarna lawn tractor and new Evolution multi-material sliding compound mitre saw. The latter is not intended to take over when the former stalls out.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Goodwill score today. Swiss-made Bosch jigsaw/sabresaw. $13.

seems to run perfectly fine. Not variable-speed, though. . . But that's what my Festool is for.

Untitled by Nicholas Carey, on Flickr
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Gonna give this one a workout. With the solid blade and shoulder strap, for brush-cutting. If I like it, I'll probably take it in lieu of a small debt --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default New Toys, watchu gots??

Gonna give this one a workout. With the solid blade and shoulder strap, for brush-cutting. If I like it, I'll probably take it in lieu of a small debt --

That's the little gas one? I have one of those. Not running. Upgraded to a Milwaukee M-18 electric.

The Stihl carburetor on mine has a clear plastic priming bulb. That broke. I went to the local Stihl dealer, got a replacement bulb and installed it. All of about a 10m job.

No joy. Seems like a tiny fragment of plastic from the bulb got into the guts of the carburetor.

The replacement bulb was something like $10. The whole carburetor is something like $20.

Just replace the carburetor when it goes south.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I used to ride the bucket using the hydraulic version of that thing to trim power line right-of-way.

There's quite a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it'll cut yer 2-1/2" to 3" tree like buttah.
    Rattling the teacups.

& when it's time for a blade, I've had good luck with "Renegade":

I tried to buy it locally, but the 2 dealers I tried (Husky & Stihl) each wanted $40 for a blade). Sigh... Amazon was $40 for 2 blades including shipping. https://www.amazon.com/2pk-9-68t-REN...-garden&sr=1-1
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    That's the little gas one? I have one of those. Not running. Upgraded to a Milwaukee M-18 electric.

The Stihl carburetor on mine has a clear plastic priming bulb. That broke. I went to the local Stihl dealer, got a replacement bulb and installed it. All of about a 10m job.

No joy. Seems like a tiny fragment of plastic from the bulb got into the guts of the carburetor.

The replacement bulb was something like $10. The whole carburetor is something like $20.

Just replace the carburetor when it goes south.
    Yes, I believe that's the smallest gas model. Thanks for the tips.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I’ve got a 1946 model British Seagull outboard motor. It’s a winter project.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

8FAE0558-C65B-434D-A4F6-38856FD9945A.jpg
    I just got all the stickers off. Apparently, this is becoming serious enough that I need a new multi impact.

Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    New Husqvarna lawn tractor and new Evolution multi-material sliding compound mitre saw. The latter is not intended to take over when the former stalls out.

Read your warranty carefully on the mower and its motor, and do not expect support or any attempt at customer satisfaction from Husqvarna, however carefully maintained or gently used their machine. Ultimately, the vendor (Lowe's) stepped in, and mitigated the problem. I will never buy another of Husqvarna's products, except possibly second-hand, as a throwaway with no expectations. The same goes for their consumer level chainsaws.

Your experience, of course, may differ; I am sure you will have better luck. I apologize for the pizzy comment.

I have a variety of Stihl tools, all using gas. The main thing to remember is to prime it, choke it, and release the choke after the first cough-almost-starts-next-time-for sure. Otherwise, it will flood. The other thing to remember is to use fresh gas, or better, buy the expensive gas that Stihl dealers sell. That stuff is free of the easy to go bad additives. I use my tools only occasionally, so they have a lot of down time and not much running time. So buying the expensive gas is worth it to me.

Jeff

A new longbow: Border Harrier Royale - 66" and 42# @ 28".

She purdy! I mostly shoot a Bob Sarrels "Sierra". Beautiful little thing and the best bow I've ever had in my hand. You hunt? JayInOz

Yup, got a 42# Covert Hunter and a 60# Bowtech RealmX plus some rifles if I'm lucky enough to draw one of those tags. AZ is pretty tough for tags though so I've mostly been after birds and fish lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Goodwill score today. Swiss-made Bosch jigsaw/sabresaw. $13.

seems to run perfectly fine. Not variable-speed, though. . . But that's what my Festool is for.

Untitled by Nicholas Carey, on Flickr
    Nicholas, somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I recall a kind of variable speed control that you could plug in 'upstream' of that saw -- Of course, that could be just, as the movie said " the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind"

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Nicholas, somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I recall a kind of variable speed control that you could plug in 'upstream' of that saw -- Of course, that could be just, as the movie said " the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind"

Rick
    Not at all.

I have one, works great.

Solid state gizmo that won't destroy your machine, with a clip for your belt and a dial.

As I recall it was ~$25-35. . .

This one looks identical, and specs the same, but it's being sold as a fan controller, which apparently makes it cost only $18.99 as opposed to the $30 they squeeze out of the woodworkers!

https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Cont...266635&sr=8-24
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post

Rick

Thanks! But I have a Festool jigsaw for my variable speed needs

Minor addition to the kit, but my 16 oz hammer seems to have gone walkabout... so I replaced it today. No surer way to find the old one, right? <G>

https://www.dewalt.com/products/hand...mmer/dwht51048

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post
    A new longbow: Border Harrier Royale - 66" and 42# @ 28".

NICE! I shoot a 40# @28 laminated flatbow a friend made for me, but I just shoot paper these days.

Re: Sharpening

I'm actually building my own version of the Work Sharp using 8” lapping plates and diamond discs (mostly from eBay).

in the end, it will probably have made more sense to have just gone with the worksharp but I like having the bigger capacity with 8”. Plus my my motor setup allows rpm control and reverse rotation.

A Boice-Crane table saw, thanks to Nicholas Carey for spotting it on Craigslist.
    See his thread at http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ig-s-List-Find

1EFB15BB-2EEF-4EE1-BDDE-36AAF653E03F.jpg

27326C0C-9A77-4F79-A23D-26056C50EB60.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I used to ride the bucket using the hydraulic version of that thing to trim power line right-of-way.

There's quite a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it'll cut yer 2-1/2" to 3" tree like buttah.
    Last year when I went to get feed the road was blocked by a broken tree. Three guys were going at it. One had a gas powered polesaw and he was in a tractor bucket extended up and the other guy driving.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    A Boice-Crane table saw, thanks to Nicholas Carey for spotting it on Craigslist.
    See his thread at http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ig-s-List-Find

1EFB15BB-2EEF-4EE1-BDDE-36AAF653E03F.jpg

27326C0C-9A77-4F79-A23D-26056C50EB60.jpeg
    you got it!

Electric flour mill. Just scored a factory refurbished Nutrimill for about half off the retail price for new.

It's a micronizing flour mill, makes pretty finely ground flour.

Fired it up this morning. Made some very tasty pancakes from a mix of 2 parts hard red winter wheat and 1 part rye.

Now to order some bolting screens, say 20-, 30-, 40, and 50-mesh.

This is the mill. It's a little bulky . . .

But it packs down to this for storage.

Amazon Warehouse.

Find what you want, add it to a wishlist, and then check that list often. The listing described this amp as having major cosmetic damage to the front. No big deal, it's Amazon, if it's as bad as all that, back it goes, in this case, however, the speaker grill was (velcroed) on upside down.

I have yet to find any cosmetic damage on any of the warehouse items I've purchased.

The Positive Grid, Spark practice amplifier. Modeling, backing tracks, chords, recording, this little thing is full of tricks and it doesn't make my windows vibrate.

Be like Jimi!

I also picked up a motorized guitar string winder. Luxury!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot;65046 Luxury!

[IMG
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~MwAAOSwn7JYDqYw/s-l400.jpg[/IMG]
    Laziness JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Laziness JayInOz
    10 guitars.

Here's a recent tool purchase:

IMG_3921.jpg

It's a Starrett machinist hammer #815. They are available new but this one's used. Has a slight chip in the magnifier lens. No big deal to me. It is still very usable.

There's no reason in all the world why I needed to buy this. Something about its form and use just called out. So, why not?

It's not a large item... about 7 inches long.

Jeff

Looked at the Husqvarna decided to go yellow Club Cadet with 24hp Kawasaki.
    014507CB-FDF2-4EB4-A593-EB12374DACCF.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images