Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in NZ

Default Re: An Ilur in NZ

Looking very smart! Yes, patterns are always good.
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Quick question Wayne. How wide are your oars on the end of the blades? I'm not sure where I got my original plans, but it appears to me that I may have wasted some materiel laminating too wide of a blade. Can't imagine that I just pulled those dimensions out of thin air, but it has been at least 2 years...

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Hi Ken,
    The oars were largely based on Culler ones from these plans http://www.riverswest.org/uploads/1/...uller_oars.pdf with a few small allowances to fit the dimensions for length of the Vivier plans.
    My blade tips came out at roughly 110mm or just over 4.25".
    I have no oar making knowledge to base this on, just the guide of the plans and what felt right. How wide are yours?

A little more time for boat building, with mainly small jobs as I await the end of Auckland's lockdown to source things like bouyancy foam and mast timber.
    Progress has involved fixing the rudder pintles and assembling and mounting it…
    IMG-3138.jpg

Oiling sole boards

oiled boards.jpg

Making thwart locking buttons as per John Hartmann's build. The thwarts each have a central stiffener on the underside as per David's Ilur in Hansville to avoid the need for stanchions.
    seat lock.jpg

I've sourced some brass countertop hinges for the removeable sole boards. These were tested on some offcuts and seem to do the job, although it seems I only ordered the ones with a 90 degree range so the board won't lie flat when open. It's no drama as the hinge has a stiffener that pretty much holds the board at whatever position you leave it.

hinge.jpg

Here they are fitted.
    closed....
    IMG-3164.jpg

and open.
    IMG-3165.jpg

One of the long central boards has also had hinges fitted, allowing oars and other sundries to be hidden away. I like the storage in this design.

IMG-3190 (1).jpg

Family issues preclude much more work at this point.

Hi Wayne,

Coming together nicely.

If you can get hinges with the 180 degree range I would strongly recommend you do. It will only take an accidental push against the board from the wrong side (probably on the water where things can get a bit unpredictable) and there is the possibility of the hinges being ripped out. Just something to consider.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

A very good point Mike. These took so long to arrive that I’m kicking myself a little over the oversight on range of movement.
    I’m reluctant to revisit immediately so I’m thinking I might just be really careful (famous last words) but get some machine screws with nuts and washers to make them a little more secure on both plank faces. If I tear them off I’ll post a pic and accept the ‘I told you so’ with grace.

Hi Wayne, everything is looking really good. I opted not to use hinges for the removable floorboards and the forward deck hatch. I didn’t find any hinges I liked so I’m trying something different by using lanyards as a sort of hinge. ALso, I should have said something sooner. After making the thwart stiffeners I set them aside for the time being. When I got back to the thwarts I changed my mind and decided to stick with the Ilur plan and to use the stanchions. I felt that the mid span support was more important than the inconvenience of the stanchion.

I don't think i have seen that pattern of counter flap hinge before.Over here,they usually have an additional link in the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I don't think i have seen that pattern of counter flap hinge before.Over here,they usually have an additional link in the centre.

Hi John.
    Yes, those are the ones I should have ordered. I wasn't paying attention and got the one's with the single link and hence 90 degree arc instead of 180.
    Operator error from me. I'll probably switch them out down the track once I've torn a board loose with a careless foot

Hi Wayne, Now I see why you added that extra piece of wood on the port side aft of the centerboard case. When I finally checked the width of the internal aft centerboard case and saw that it was only 1 1/8” wide I wonder how I’ll mount the cheekblock for the tack/downhaul. The aft mounting screw can be in the support, but the forward screw would only be in 9mm ply.

Hi Wayne,
    If you are at all concerned about accidentally leveraging the hinges out, then maybe a stop of some sort could be mounted onto the bulkhead at each end to alleviate any potential knocks.
    They could be painted the same colour as the bulkhead to make them less conspicuous or highlighted to add as a detail.
    A simple wooden button would suffice.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Good idea Mike, I might have a look at that.

David,
    Yes indeed, there's not a lot there for screw bite. I might have to move a block or cleat to another new veneer piece further forward on the case since my hinged sole boards conflict with the old position. Should be able to rectify it.

It's probably too late, but I must say I really like having my tack downhaul tackle up on the port side of the front thwart.
    You can see Roger Barnes adjusting his from up there in many of his videos.

I really thought I would want it coming straight back alongside the CB case, but I like having it out of the way off to port.

My 2 cents. Really enjoying watching you guys get closer to having the "perfect little boat" as I overheard someone referring to mine last night. I couldn't agree more!

Mike

Thanks for chiming in Mike! Could you share photos of how you ran the line and how you attached the blokcks?

I'll try to link to a video I took a couple of nights ago where the tack downhaul is visible. Basically there is an eye-bolt through the stem with the eye inboard that a block is lashed to. The tack downhaul goes down through the hole in the deck and turns through this block to the tackle. Mine is two blocks, one with a becket, which maybe gives 3:1 purchase, maybe 2:1, I'm not sure. Then from the tackle, through a hole in the knee on the thwart to a little cam-cleat on the thwart itself.

Thanks for the info Mike. I think I finally get the picture. I’ll have to look at ways to attach the blocks and cam cleat wit a kit build and weigh the pros and cons which way to run the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    Thanks for the info Mike. I think I finally get the picture. I’ll have to look at ways to attach the blocks and cam cleat wit a kit build and weigh the pros and cons which way to run the rope.
    Isn't this forum great :-) The amount of knowledge and ideas that we share.........................

Just noticed the vid. Thanks Michael.

That's very helpful. I presume having the cleat that far forward presents no problems with ease of access?

While I'd like to think I'll have crew, I suspect mostly I'll be singlehanding and am keen on a set up I can run easily from the tiller position.

Onewards then.
    The hull is pretty much complete with all soleboards and now thwarts finished and installed.

IMG-3247.jpg

IMG-3244.jpg

Bouyancy foam was installed previously. I used sheets of foamular from an architectural mouldings firm which worked out quite well in terms of cost and volume. Four sheets of 2400mm x 600mm x 50mm filled the holes with little waste.

IMG-3222 (1).jpg

The lazarette lid frame was a bit of fun. It's probably the closest I've got to proper joinery yet with a tongue and groove on each corner. The results were functional and could even have been adequate to be visible rather than under the seat if required.

While the hinges allow a full range of movement I'll install a restraining cable of some sort to prevent it falling all the way back to the transom and straining the fixtures. A bungy to keep it closed will suffice until I stumble across a latch I like the look of.
    IMG-3248.jpg

IMG-3243.jpg

Timber for the mast and spars has arrived!
    Lockdown in Auckland meant freight takes an eternity to crawl the 150km down the road to me but it was well worth the two week wait for lovely doug fir.

I've got pieces long enough that no scarfing will be required. While I've done it before I'm getting to the stage of the build where I like the small finishing jobs more than the large epoxying ones. This will be the last 'big push' of the build.

Just on the topic of lockdowns we are also under one here - hopefully for not much longer - and the boat has become quite the conversation piece among the many walkers strolling the neighbourhood.

I wheel it onto the driveway into the afternoon sun to do the odd job and people stopping to look from the footpath invariably want to know:

Did you build that? (yes, you can make anything if you want to try hard enough)

How did you learn how? (by listening to people on the internet who know more than me),

What from? (ply and a strange mix of african and locally grown timber and magical glue)

Where will you use it? (hydro lakes and small harbours nearby and yes, I will sleep overnight onboard)

How long have I been a sailor? (I haven't really).

The regulars now know she's close to finishing and are awaiting the day a mast, yard and sail peak peek over the neighbourhood roofs.

Speaking of which, some test pieces were cut from macrocarpa to see if a birdsmouth spar would work.
    It appears so.
    IMG-3237.jpg

Mast size at left, boom and spar on right.

After the task of ripping down some pretty large pieces of fir into manageable staves and putting them through the wiggly tablesaw, staves for the boom and spar were produced. These are 4m at present.
    A bit more cutting to do before a possible glue-up this weekend once some hose clamps arrive.

IMG-3238.jpg

IMG-3239.jpg

That wiggly tablesaw looks rather like my wiggly Ryobi tablesaw that I bought secondhand - keep throwing lengths of spotted gum into it hoping the motor will die but its awkward and just won't give up!
    I'll be interested to see how your birdsmouth goes - I'm hoping to do this when I make the mast for the CY I'm building - mast is looooooooong!

Geoff Kerr has some good videos on OCH website which cover spar making. Your spar work looks great :-)

Regards Neil

Nice corner bridle joints on the hatch frame there Wayne. That grain is really popping out in those images, nice.
    I can see birdsmouth spars in my future, those stave proportions look good too.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Lookin' good Wayne! I've often wondered how a guy manages to mix epoxy fast enough to glue up that long of a birdsmouth spar. Some secrets that I'm not privy to yet?

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

It helps to mix up a batch, and then pour it into a paint tray so it's a thin layer. I'd still want a partner to assist though.

Mike

I had a partner to help when I glued up my birdsmouth mast. I don’t think I could have done it all by myself.

Indeed. I think I'll press a daughter into service.
    My wife was better than me at spreading epoxy neatly when we fibreglassed the cedar canoe a couple of years back, so maybe she'll indulge me again.

If you spread epoxy out of the corner of a cutoff food polythene ziplock bag its much, much faster. Or its worked for me so far - I find spooning/paletting the eopxy onto the timber quite slow for a large spread.
    Either that or do a Geoff Kerr and pour on "shop pancake mix" - if the joint is ok with quite a thin mix.

Regards Neil

Hi Wayne, I finally got my tiller blank glued up and ready to shape. Can you give me any clues on how you cut the taper on the sides from the end of the stock to the tip and how you shaped the ball at the end? How far from the end of the stock did you start the taper towards the ball end? The drawing isn’t very clear.

Hi David, I've dropped a note and some pics on your log.

Birdsmouth spars have been cut, tapered to size where needed and glued up.

Just the boom and yard have been done so far but were good practice as the boom has practically no taper and the yard is still relatively small and, although there is taper it's a smaller glue-job.
    the tapering was done by planing one stave down by hand with a rabbet plane to keep the 90 degree face. another was laid underneath this and planed again to match.

IMG-3274.jpg
    These were then clamped either side of the rest and a router run across the face to remove most of the material and the remainder planed to level by hand.

Laid out ready for the epoxy.
    IMG-3265.jpg

My wife helped me in mixing epoxy for the boom glue-up which was appreciated. I went single handed for the yard with no trouble but will seek help with the mast due to the greater area to apply epoxy to.

IMG-3267.jpg

Squeeze out.

IMG-3266.jpg

Knocking the corners off to make an octagonal before further shaping.
    IMG-3297.jpg

As the milling has to be done on the driveway due to length I have to wait for fine weather on a day off work and other commitments to get the mast cut.

Well done Wayne. Looks good.

There's a bit been happening, but not all boat related.

My dad died a couple of weeks back. I'd been hoping to take him for a sail when the ilur was finished but it wasn't to be. I sort of knew about six months back we were unlikely to get there but the build provided much interest and distraction in his final weeks as I'd show him pics of progress and test sections of birdsmouth masts etc.

He'd got me into boatbuilding in a way by owning a trailer sailer when I was a teenager. In his retirement he took up building RC wooden boats, which got me into it also and hence into larger models.

Calm seas and fair winds, Neil.

In the building time since the spars have been the main focus.

After having to obtain a new tablesaw when mine broke down on the last big job of the build, the mast staves have been cut, along with a solid heel plug, hollow reinforcing section at the partner/deck, halyard area and a mast head.

Heel here.

IMG-3384.jpg

Masthead here being glued up. The ply inserts have been fibreglassed with graphite impregnated epoxy and a sheave hole drilled and filled with epoxy to keep wear at bay.
    IMG-3385.jpg

The next job is cutting the head and it's plug bottom to a hex to fit the tapered mast staves. A mast glue-up might happen this weekend.

I'm a journalist by trade and when we closed our onsite press plant for contract printing elsewhere a number of years back a whole engineering shop was shut down. Along with claiming a good workshop bench and vice, micrometer and lots of multiplug boxes, a great piece of 8mm stainless rod came my way that was too good to throw out.
    Happily it's exactly what I need for the mast sheave axle and is a nice nostalgic addition to the boat - the physical legacy of my job helped build my boat as much as the online world where my worktime is spent and where knowledge from the fine people here help also.

The half jaw for the boom was laminated from five layers of ash with the help of some advice from Mike of 'believed abstraction of a 12ft clinker dinghy' fame. This was affixed with dowels to future proof it for possible removal as I note fellow sloop builder Chris Harlan has done so after frustration with halyard fouling. I'll see how it goes.
    IMG-3386.jpg

Some cleats have been knocked up from ash and sapele...

IMG-3387.jpg

And the first of the leathering has started on the oars on a rainy day.

IMG-3365.jpg
    Last edited by WayneT; 11-16-2021 at 02:05 AM.

And here's the completed oar leathers.

IMG-3373.jpg

The clock is ticking before the start of the summer holidays at Christmas. To do is... sort the trailer, finish the mast and spars and bowsprit and rig her.

A bowsprit iron, mast traveller and a few other metal bits seem to be stalled in a freight warehouse at Heathrow, UK for the last 6 weeks.

Hopefully they arrive in time to get on the water but recent events have made me rather philosophical about rushing life so a summer holiday with a wooden kayak instead of a wooden sailboat is nothing to be upset about.

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear about your father.
    You are fortunate to have had a father that introduced you to the interests and the skills associated with those interests that serve you well today.

Great progress, hope those bits from Blighty show up soon, boom jaw looks solid.

Cheers,
    Mike.

I’m sorry for your loss Wayne. My dad died 7 years ago and my mom went 2 years ago. They were both extremely adventurous which meant us kids had an adventurous upbringing. I still think of them every day.
    Everything looks really sharp on the boat build. You have done a fantastic job. What brand of table saw did you get. I am so happy with my Dewalt because it folds up into a wheel barrow style which makes it so easy to move around and stow and save space.