Thread: Mast and boom proportions for trawler

I recently purchased a trawler and the previous owner had replaced the mast and boom with a PVC mast and boom. I am assuming that the original either broke or rotted. What I need are some close proportions so that I may build a new set. The trawler is 32 feet with a flybridge. Thanks Guys.

Does the mast & boom do any work, such as lift aboard a dinghy w/ motor, or is it purely cosmetic and used only for antennae and burgees? If yes to the former, it is a case of form following function and the structure has to be designed to be strong enough to lift the desired weight and mast & boom prportions are a function of their strength; if the latter it is a question of mere aesthetics.

There's no automatic answer to this. A PVC unit sounds pretty much decorative. You may have a use for the mast and boom that you should design around.

Will you be carrying a dink and will you use the boom to get the dink on deck?

Will the mast also support a steadying sail?

What antennae - radio, VHF, cell or sat, etc - will you be hanging?

Do you want a cute remote controled search light up there?

White steaming light? Anchor light? Area lights for cockpit?

In general, porportions don't matter a wit if you're not hoisting. Just make it pretty to your eye.

If you want a mast and boom you can use, then the boom needs to be long enough to get about half your dink's beam plus a couple feet past the rail. That way you can hoist without fuss. It needs to be able to peak up so that once you've hoisted the dink up as close to the boom as the bridle will allow, the boom itself can be peaked up to raise the boat higher and swing it into position, presumably an amidships cradle just abaft the boom and the whole laid out that the bow of the dink is just lower than the gooseneck so the boom can be secured horizonally for steaming.

Assuming you'll carry the dink upright, the bridle need not be too high above the dink's gunnel. In fact, if you make it to four eyes on the inside just at the edge of the dink's sole and maybe 2' fore and 2' aft of dink's bow to stern center of gravity, the bridle might be quite low, making an attractive installation easier.

If you're hoisting, you are likely to need 3 stays for the mast.

G'luck

I don't know about the original but I would like to build one that could lift the dinghy and also support a radar dome. The original step is about 6" in dia. and I will be using the original gooseneck and rigging.

BTW, I was hoping you would put in your 2 cents! Thanks.

[ 01-12-2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Gresham CA ]

I recently did a design for a dinghy crane for a 38-ft cruiser, and could use it as the basis for the design for your boat. If you are interested, contact me thru my e-mail address. Don't wanna get Scot cranky with me for doin' business on his nickle.

mmd,

I sent you an email but got no response.

Charles you know we need photos of your trawler. That is part of the by-laws here.

Chad

Sorry, Charles, you must be one of the disapperadoes referred to in my thread "Server crashed, e-mails lost" thread over in Designs/Plans. My ISP e-mail server crashed & wiped out all incoming e-mails for a time. All is apparently well now. Please re-send & I'll look at it right away. Sorry for the inconvenience.