Thread: Kayak Camping on Lake Wappapello, Missouri

Default Kayak Camping on Lake Wappapello, Missouri

I short vid from a three day and two night kayak trip on Lake Wappapello, in se Missouri. My buddy Brian and I took our Dave Gentry Chuckanut 12 skin-on-frame kayaks.

-Trevor

Default Re: Kayak Camping on Lake Wappapello, Missouri

Very nice!

Lovely photos of a great trip -- thanks! I've always wanted to explore the big Missourah lakes, my family and I are originally from Tarkio up in the far NW corner. Have you ever done Lake of the Ozarks?

A technical question -- I love Greenland style paddles and built my own from WRC, but shouldn't yours be a bit longer?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Lovely photos of a great trip -- thanks! I've always wanted to explore the big Missourah lakes, my family and I are originally from Tarkio up in the far NW corner. Have you ever done Lake of the Ozarks?

A technical question -- I love Greenland style paddles and built my own from WRC, but shouldn't yours be a bit longer?

Thanks!

The Greenland paddle isn't really speced for this boat, the Chuckanut 12 is a fairly wide kayak, it's built to standard dimensions, though and the handle/shoulders of the blades are sized to my body dimensions. Most boats of a more traditional form are barely wider than your hips for rolling easier and faster rate of travel, I imagine. The paddle is really meant more for those boats. I like the Greenland paddle a lot. I can use a wider variety of paddle strokes with it than spoon shaped Euro blade paddles. When on the water, I go back and forth with the Greenland paddle (made from a $5 pine 2x4) and a rough shaped Cree single blade paddle (made of cheap poplar), depending on mood or how tight the maneuvering is.

I've not done any paddling on Lake of the Ozarks. My grandparent's had houses on that lake when I was a kid and I was there fishing and skiing every summer, but the lake hasn't aged very well. Being private, it's not nearly as pretty or clean as the Army Corp lakes in the area. I've paddled this kayak on Lake Pomme De Terre, Stockton Lake, Table Rock Lake, Bull Shoals Lake, Lake Taneycomo, Lake Wappapello, Springfield Lake and a few other bodies of water I can't quite recall at the moment. Mostly through the south of Missouri and Northern Arkansas. I built it about 8 years ago. It's getting to where I probably need to quit slapping duct tape along the bottom stringers and just reskin it. But I kinda like how its aged, patina-wise.

-Trevor

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Very nice!