Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Mitch McConnell is increasingly vulnerable in Kentucky, thank God.

Default Re: Mitch McConnell is increasingly vulnerable in Kentucky, thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Who is that quote from?
    No quote. Just the overall vibe.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

All I have to say is

Ditch Rich Moscow Mitch!

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Try to look on the bright side, Gloomy Gus.

Oh, and lay offa my man Sleek.

That dude has demonstrated that he can actually learn stuff.

You could take a page from his book.
    As as I told him several times... I'm only bothering with him because he shows promise. He deserves your applause for at least making the effort. No doubt. And he's clearly got a long way to go.

But we all have our roles to play. In this case, mine is more like Drill Instructor.
    Last edited by David G; 06-30-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    As as I told him several times... I'm only bothering with him because he shows promise. He deserves your applause for at least making the effort. No doubt. And he's clearly got a long way to go.

But we all have our roles to play. In this case, mine is more like Drill Instructor.
    More like Sergeant Supercilious.

Hope against hope!
    How much longer 'til the election?

4 months?

I'm beginning to think it is possible that this will be the last election where Republicans even make a showing.

They're clearly corrupt and beyond redemption.

And I know I've said this before, but with the Democrats pretty solidly center-right already (witness O'Bama) they should be able to garner the Sane Republicans, while spinning off a more Progressive Party.

I sure hope I'm right.

More like Sergeant Supercilious.
    If you're right... does that disqualify me from the Drill Instructor role, ya think?

Because we all know DI's are NEVER EVER snotty, sarcastic, supercillious, snarky, or condescending, right?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

No, you're just not qualified.

No, you're just not qualified.
    I'm sorry to have to tell you, but you are once again wrong. But I suppose you're getting used to that...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

How much longer 'til the election?

4 months?

I'm beginning to think it is possible that this will be the last election where Republicans even make a showing.

They're clearly corrupt and beyond redemption.

And I know I've said this before, but with the Democrats pretty solidly center-right already (witness O'Bama) they should be able to garner the Sane Republicans, while spinning off a more Progressive Party.

I sure hope I'm right.

I doubt you are going to get that much change in attitudes, or longer term voting. But it may depend on how much BS the oldRepublicans are prepared to wear from back peddling congressmen. OTOH the college may elect donald again………………….

Not a chance. It was an interesting social experiment- put a narcissistic moron in the White House and see how badly he could F### it up- but the jig is up. Republicans flush the orange butt nugget and try to patch some of the damage, or stay the course and become irrelevant for the foreseeable future. Lie down donnie- your bus approacheth. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I'm sorry to have to tell you, but you are once again wrong. But I suppose you're getting used to that...
    And once again you prove I'm right.

Pore li'l feller.

Nice to see the protesters at McConnell’s house today. I hope they stay until the election. Hell, I might go and join them.

https://www.whas11.com/mobile/video/...f-6aad4838c956

Unfortunately Amy McGrath has turned out to be a weak candidate. McConnell will easily win re-election despite his unpopularity.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

liberals suck
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Unfortunately Amy McGrath has turned out to be a weak candidate. McConnell will easily win re-election despite his unpopularity.
    Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless
    liberals suck
    There are not nearly enough of them in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

It is hard for me to imagine a redder state. It is even redder than Ohio. Trump will also easily win Kentucky in November. At least the presidential race is a contest in Ohio.

I'll be glad to be able to cast a vote for Gym Jordan's opponent in November.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

It is hard for me to imagine a redder state.
    alabama
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

A lot of folks were saying that (even here) - but they were shouted down as not being "with the program". If McConnell does get re-elected, let's hope he'll be minority leader - otherwise we are really screwed.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A lot of folks were saying that (even here) - but they were shouted down as not being "with the program". If McConnell does get re-elected, let's hope he'll be minority leader - otherwise we are really screwed.
    Let's make Elizabeth Warren Majority Leader.

Oh the head-exploding schadenfreude!

Oh, and stealing her momentum by pushing Booker AFTER he lost to McGrath was . . .

Now, Garrett,

you know that it just riles up the Bernie bashers to point out how the party establishment (by which I mean the DNC, moderate politicians, and primary voters) has made the wrong choices over and over...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I doubt Booker would have done any better. In fact, it seems unlikely that any Democrat could plausibly win that election in Kentucky.

FWIW, 538.com gives McConnell a 96% chance of winning. Link here.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson
    I doubt Booker would have done any better. In fact, it seems unlikely that any Democrat could plausibly win that election in Kentucky.
    Correct. Kentucky is hopelessly red.

Kentucky is comprised of blue Lexington and Louisville and then everywhere else.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 09-20-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I doubt Booker would have done any better.
    We'll never know, eh? But some polls showed him doing better than McGrath vs. McConnell (though still losing--I agree Kentucky isn't likely to go blue).

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by twodot
    Have AOC and Sanders and Booker campaigned for McGrath yet?
    Not that I’ve noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    We'll never know, eh? But some polls showed him doing better than McGrath vs. McConnell (though still losing . . .
    The evidence in Kentucky does not justify a claim that 'the party establishment' made a wrong choice in this case.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Here on this forum? Who?
    Are the berniacs hawking their 'poor me' victimhood bullspit again?

Whinging and moaning and carrying on that the DNC is a mild-mannered, center-right political organization?

Disgusted that it doesn't champion their own views, yet too friggin' lazy to actually do the work?

That sort of thing?

The evidence in Kentucky does not justify a claim that 'the party establishment' made a wrong choice in this case.
    That's one opinion about it.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

out
    It is also my opinion. And as of today I still live in Kentucky.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 09-21-2020 at 06:02 PM.

I find it kind of odd that Tom includes primary voters as part of the 'party establishment'. Who should pick the candidate?

Richard Feynman

Weren't you saying that we need a robust primary?

We had a fair primary, and the primary chose McGrath.

Where are AOC and Sanders and Booker now that the fight is between McGrath and McConnell?
    Yep. We did get a primary--DESPITE the hostile reactions of many Bilge posters to having one. That was good.

I'm saying that in my estimation, primary voters chose poorly, as they have a habit of doing. Largely in response to the "We need a moderate" narrative pushed by many in the party. Perhaps with BLM protests so active, they missed seeing a moment where a less moderate candidate would have been the better choice.

The party seems to want progressive voters--even take them for granted--but doesn't want progressive candidates. They are certainly entitled to do what they want as a party, but that's a mismatch that will have consequences.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I find it kind of odd that Tom includes primary voters as part of the 'party establishment'. Who should pick the candidate?
    Primary voters should pick candidates, and they do. But when they pick the candidate favored heavily by the insiders, they are supporting the establishment. That's fine--they can do that, nothing nefarious about it.

And they can certainly do that, and be wrong. Which is what I see in election after election. Others will have different opinions about that. But running a moderate certainly didn't work in 2016, and they're trying it again. I hope it works this time--circumstances seem to favor it more this time around from what I see, so maybe it will.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Primary voters should pick candidates, and they do. But when they pick the candidate favored heavily by the insiders, they are supporting the establishment. That's fine--they can do that, nothing nefarious about it. And they can certainly do that, and be wrong. Which is what I see in election after election. Others will have different opinions about that. But running a moderate certainly didn't work in 2016 . . .
    With all respect, may I point out that the course you argue will lead to electoral success is pretty uniformly the same; move to the left, nominate candidates that you agree with. I'm a little closer to the center than you are, but not that much. I think Bernie Sanders is flakey, but if I could appoint the president, it would probably be Elizabeth Warren. However, let's leave aside what would be better for the country if they won the election, and consider it only as a horserace. My premise is that in 2020, any Democrat would be better than any Republican; this was not always the case, and I wish it still weren't, but here we are.

The central fact about any 'party establishment' is that it is committed to winning elections far more than ideology, even edging over into cynicism. Glorious defeat while standing up for noble principles - feh! Very Darwinian; parties that don't win elections go extinct, factions within a party that rarely win elections lose power. If a moderate looks like the best bet, nominate a moderate. If somebody farther left fits the electorate better, sure. If your rich donors object to a social-democratic firebrand, find somebody who talks leftish but votes more mainstream when in office. (It occasionally goes awry; the Republicans have been taken over by a faction that is quite far from being practical.) Now the people in the 'party establishment' are every one of them human beings and all too fallible, as prone to shortsightedness and prejudice as anyone - but they're not stupid. In some elections, running a more progressive candidate might be a better idea - the reasoning being turn out younger voters, 'energize the base' - but in others, likely not. I cannot see any plausible argument that running a candidate who's farther left than Amy McGrath in Kentucky would be a good idea at all.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 09-22-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Richard Feynman

Bingo. Strive for 'perfection', vote for 'what's possible'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I cannot see any plausible argument that running a candidate who's farther left than Amy McGrath in Kentucky would be a good idea at all.
    That doesn't surprise me--but I can. A candidate like Booker fits the moment--the political opportunity--in different ways than Booker. In better, more inspiring ways. Democrats had a chance to make BLM and police violence a motivating issue behind a candidate like Booker, and they rejected that chance.

Would Booker have won? Unlikely. Would he have been a better candidate than Booker? Plausible--as indeed some pre-primary polls suggested.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com