Thread: Question of water pipes

Default Question of water pipes

Our town sent out letters a few months ago. They're replacing the street water pipes.

Homeowners were given the 'opportunity' to have the pipe from the street to the house replaced fro $1000. That letter expressed concerns about lead.

I've lived here 15 years. Three of my neighbors have all lived here for at least 50 years, and none have had any lead related medical problems.

Pipe coming into the house is galvanized. Guy that came to give us a warning that work would start soon, says the galvanized may be lead lined.

I just asked the town what it would cost to have our water tested. Seems to me if there were lead in the pipes, someone on the block would have suffered medical problems from it.

Thoughts?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Default Re: Question of water pipes

I think I might look for someone other than the town to do the test. How old are the pipes and/or what condition are they likely to be in? You can pretty much bet your bippy that if anything ever happens and your old pipes fail and need replacement, it will cost you more than $1K.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Our town sent out letters a few months ago. They're replacing the street water pipes.

Homeowners were given the 'opportunity' to have the pipe from the street to the house replaced fro $1000. That letter expressed concerns about lead.

I've lived here 15 years. Three of my neighbors have all lived here for at least 50 years, and none have had any lead related medical problems.

Pipe coming into the house is galvanized. Guy that came to give us a warning that work would start soon, says the galvanized may be lead lined.

I just asked the town what it would cost to have our water tested. Seems to me if there were lead in the pipes, someone on the block would have suffered medical problems from it.

Thoughts?
    Lead pipes for the supply line were pretty common before they were banned. Never heard of a galvanized pipe lined with lead, however. The lead pipes develop a protective oxide coating that is supposed to keep lead out of the water. It can be damaged chemically, however, which was the issue in the infamous Flint water crisis. Testing for lead is supposed to be done regularly. As for medical problems, the main issue is long-term damage to children, which can come from low levels in the water. Since it affects the development of the nervous system, "medical problems" would be unlikely to be noticed very easily. FWIW, it cost me about $2,000 to replace the street supply line, which had rusted out.

If the galvanized is really 50 years old they should be replaced anyway as they are either almost rusted shut or are about to crumble and 1K is a bargain as previously noted.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

$1000 seems like a good price, cheap even, to dig up and replace your service line...
    Your old galvanized pipe if nothing else is a magnet for lead. If and when the house is sold that will come up on the "inspection"
    Lead in pipes or even lead pipes can be a non-issue sort of until a change is made either to the water quality (Flint) or to the existing plumbing.
    Lead hurts children more than adults, I would change it.

I would spent the grand, sounds like cheap insurance against a pipe breaking.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

^
    Ditto.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

What kind of health problems DO they have ?
    Are you and your wife both not in poor health?

The fact that you are grinching about paying $1000 to get your 50 year old pipe replaced is evidence enough that you have suffered from long term lead exposure.😁

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

The gas line from the street to the house is called the yard line. Gas company was charging $500 to replace back in 1991. Been doing it forever.

I did some research and found they were collecting a rate of return on the yard line components in their rate setting cases with the regulator. I wrote a letter for a neighbor. They stopped charging.

Water line in a small town, who knows. Down here, and in Roman times, the pipes get a layer of calcium. It shields the water from the lead or from the copper joined with lead. I think the problems recently in Flint was that the new water source had a different ph and it dissolved the calcium, and the lead.

If you can't get them to pay, $1,000 isn't terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    What kind of health problems DO they have ?
    Are you and your wife both not in poor health?
    Nothing that shows up under symptoms of lead related problems.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Here the council replace the main pipe down the centre of the street with synthetic and if necessary the pipe from that to the footpath in front of your house- that one's copper pipe- they haven't used gal for decades as it rots, rusts and clogs up. One of my friends works on a four man crew which has replaced more than half the pipes in our town over the last year or so. I wish I had time to follow them around with my metal detector as they're digging a deep trench through dirt that gave up more than eleven tons of gold in the eighteen hundreds. JayInOz

I'm with Bluedog. We have a neighbor who was born on this hill, gets his water through the original lead pipe. He's 87 and quite lucid

OK, this has to be done:

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    The gas line from the street to the house is called the yard line. Gas company was charging $500 to replace back in 1991. Been doing it forever.

I did some research and found they were collecting a rate of return on the yard line components in their rate setting cases with the regulator. I wrote a letter for a neighbor. They stopped charging.

Water line in a small town, who knows. Down here, and in Roman times, the pipes get a layer of calcium. It shields the water from the lead or from the copper joined with lead. I think the problems recently in Flint was that the new water source had a different ph and it dissolved the calcium, and the lead.

If you can't get them to pay, $1,000 isn't terrible.
    There's also the question of disrupting the yard to replace the pipe.

I emailed the town and asked some questions. And I'll talk to my neighbors and see what they think.

Whether you have your pipe replaced or not ... if work's being done on the main supply, make sure you run bathtubs of water through the taps before you even think about drinking the water. Any old crud is going to get into the supply while pipes are replaced, and any old crud includes stuff that will make you ill.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Grab a full bathtub before they chop the supply...

Might come in handy.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Absolutely replace it. Not only will the old pipe break a month after they run the new line in the street (& cost double that) - as mentioned above, it'll make a difference when selling the house. Not to the selling price, but it'll make the house more attractive to buyers if they know it's new & no chance of lead.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

None of these?

High blood pressure
    Joint and muscle pain
    Difficulties with memory or concentration
    Headache
    Abdominal pain
    Mood disorders