Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Venus Ketch 34 performance

Default Re: Venus Ketch 34 performance

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    The Folboat Jester had lost 3 masts and those were keel stepped, if unstayed junk rig. Plenty Folkboats have snapped masts around here and they are keel stepped too. I have no problem with tabernacle masts if done correctly, and prefer that over deck-stepped......at least the former can stand on its own with a pin inserted to rig, and generally does not need a crane. Not that im averse to keel stepped masts, i just think they are as prone to breakage as any other.
    Jester's is a case on which I care to comment on and find it interesting that"plenty Folkboats have snapped masts around here that are keel stepped" - Jester was 'close to'home' in that I had a short conversation with Michael Ritchie after one of those dismastings and had shortly beforehand survived a hard knockdown in the North Atlantic with a rig that might or could possibly be be regarded as Junk related, but which did have soft shrouds` along with the keel stepped configuration.This set-up with standing rigging is a controversial issue where Junk rig is concerned, but is what we have here with the Venus Ketch. Difference with the Junk type that I had was that it was the other way around, in that the short mast was up forward and I used it in situ with a derrick like spar to hoist and drop the mainmast through the deck, onto it's keel step.... stepping this foremast was done by simply pushing it up while standing on the deck, lodging the heel in it's deck aperture and then dropping it down. Same might be possible with a ketch, but the derrick would have to be a whole lot longer.
    Tabernacle feature is of course another line of conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Now that i remember the term, "polars", are a bit like car manufacturers mpg figures, being that a boat with brand new
    sails and a clean bottom and possibly in flat water can obtain a certain speed on certain headings.

A friend who noticed a 1 knot lack in speed put that down to a dirty bottom, but it was his 18 month old mainsail, as he found out when he replaced it. So polars are at best a theoretical maximum, and real world outcomes of used sails, fould bottom and sea conditions all come into play.

I know the current plastic motor sailor will most likely make as much leeway if not more than my old Waterwith, which is why i was planning a slight keel and rudder modification. It will never point like a J boat, but i take access to 3ft of water being a compromise i can live with.
    I skipped past this post which may have been a good thing.Polars should be taken for the boat you are sailing and in the condition you will be sailing it.To believe otherwise is akin to expecting the original maker's performance figures for a car to be relevant when the car is fairly worn out and carrying a few hundred pounds of baggage.

I got a bi poler. So's Bruce.

I don't have polars though. It'd be a tad useful downwind working out gybeing downwind versus dead downwind I suppose, but since I'd rather stick pins in my face than dead run rolling my way somewhere the deal is already done. Bi polers like to reach and I like to give em what they like.

Are you saying bi polers rock?
    tacking downwind you have to increase you speed by about 40% ( quite a bit) ( I might do it in stronger winds ) to overtake the speed you would make running straight downwind. I get the rolling thing. it's worth the extra time you will probably need to get where you are going.

Any boat will roll in a seaway dead downwind, I don't like it, and it's worse when there isn't enough wind because you add slatting to that. Last passage was 2 or three days from minerva reef down to Fiji a year ago and there was only 10 or 12 knots in the normal 6 and 10 ft seaway, so it was not nice and in that case no better option by running angles. But I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Above is a 15/20 year old photo of Pauls short lived 38'er.
    Only one was built, she is lighter than my 34.
    She prolly went up wind better.
    The photo is gone. Do you still have it? His was the only 38?

Tom