Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2111213 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Sheathing a 1962 Carvel Hull

Default Re: Fiberglass Sheathing a 1962 Carvel Hull

Mine is listed as composite, and I have less glass on the outside than you are proposing.
    I've never been asked for a survey since the purchase date 15 years ago.
    I know others with glass over ply listed on their insurance, who need to get regular surveys.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    The advice is worthwhile if it makes someone reconsider "restoring" their boat by filling it with goo.
    Gypsie has not once mentioned or alluded to "Restoring" his boat. He has clearly done his homework and his work to date appears to be thoughtful and thorough.
    A far cry from "Filling with Goo".

Take a break PC Ford.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Gotta bunch of these

IMG_7656.jpg

Trudesign throughull fittings - 6 full sets of 1" fittings, plus a couple of flush fittings for my cockpit sole and a couple for a gas bottle locker i am considering.

IMG_7657.jpg
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

That's a really good move! I've also replaced all my through hulls with these and I'm very happy with them. The support collars available for some sizes are particularly robust so I've used them wherever they could be useful.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Looks like we’re playing the same game today Trev’, I’ve just come in for a cuppa’ while a storm blows through but have been sorting through my stash of bronze through hulls, seacocks, hose tails etc that I’ve been building up and hoarding over the years to see what else I need.

I’m replacing all of the through-hulls (those that I don’t delete) and sea-cocks and am fitting a larger engine raw water feed through-hull and a raw water manifold to it with three outlets (so that I can delete them elsewhere) - engine, deck/anchor wash and galley or head or both - ('still not sure what I’m doing about a dunny yet).

At the moment it looks like I’m just in need of a 1 1/2” to 1 1/4” reducer.

[IMG]IMG_1436 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Manifold is a good idea, i think i'll keep the engine on its own supply, but a manifold for the galley, head and watermaker is an option. i was thinking of T joins with local valves.

i bought an electric head, on sale from whitworths, which has a 19mm outlet. No need for an oversized through hull.

That Trudesign gear seems like great quality gear. I’m using it mainly because of the neutrality as far as corrosion goes because I have a minestrone of metals outside of hull including copper coat antifouling.

Just in case youse aren’t aware but Trudesign do a tee-fitting with male/female ends to screw together for manifolds.

Are we all in the same boat?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Manifold is a good idea, i think i'll keep the engine on its own supply, but a manifold for the galley, head and watermaker is an option. i was thinking of T joins with local valves.

i bought an electric head, on sale from whitworths, which has a 19mm outlet. No need for an oversized through hull.
    19mm discharge - talk about shyting through the eye of a needle - which one is it? The smallest I’ve seen yet is 25mm and I wondered about how well it’d cope at that size.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    That Trudesign gear seems like great quality gear. I’m using it mainly because of the neutrality as far as corrosion goes because I have a minestrone of metals outside of hull including copper coat antifouling.

Just in case youse aren’t aware but Trudesign do a tee-fitting with male/female ends to screw together for manifolds.

Are we all in the same boat?
    Yep.

And yes, even with a macerator, that poo outlet seems small ...
    Rick

I hope you’re talking about the one on the boat Rick.

Here’s a measurement guage
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 10-31-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Ahhh sheeet, i'll check again. In my head i'd implanted the idea of 1" hose pretty much everywhere. 1" barbs for Trudesign fiitings yeild a 19mm aperature. I'm not as cerain as i was, but the head has 1" hose - which brought me to the 19mm.Maybe it assumes plenty of fibre?

Miso soup.
    Rick

Ahhh sheeet, i'll check again. In my head i'd implanted the idea of 1" hose pretty much everywhere. 1" barbs for Trudesign fiitings yeild a 19mm aperature. I'm not as cerain as i was, but the head has 1" hose - which brought me to the 19mm.Maybe it assumes plenty of fibre?

It’s likely a 19mm flush feed and 25mm or 38mm discharge but I don’t think I’d be keen on a 19mm discharge anyway if it is that...having been head down unblocking crapper discharge lines on boats more often than I care to remember......it’s always the task that no one else volunteers for. I assume it is one with a macerator (???) but even so if it gives you an option I think I’d opt for the larger discharge....

Either way you do now have me wondering what to do about a head for the H28....I rarely use one on board when sailing (over the rail or bucket and chuck-it) so had thought early on that I wouldn’t bother with one but am now wondering between a macerator/overboard discharge or a portable toilet.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"wondering what to do about a head for the H28"
    We have zero-discharge rules here, and I got Holiday with a "composting" rig - a gussied up 5 gallon bucket in a box. Add poop and sawdust, and stir with a paddle thing that makes cleaning near impossible. It doesn't smell too bad the first few days... The ladies haven't mastered use of the mizzen shrouds, so pee in the head is diverted to a gallon jug for separate disposal.

Thinking to replace the compost scheme with a bucket and heavy plastic liner. S
    eal and double bag it, and discretely drop into dockside trash receptacles.

This is the one i bought. Cheap and cheerful.
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/tmc-12...oft-close-seat

The manual pump one is always a chore for visitors to figure out, and the duck bill valve blocks somewhat easily. I too have spent much time upside down behind the head.......

NSW is a zero discharge state - it is in fact illegal to even pee overboard in NSW - inside 12km off shore.
    I don't have a holding tank, but we never flush at anchor or on a mooring - like trains back in the day

Thanks Trev’, that looks like the same one that I made a template of to find a location for it in the H28. Finding space for a holding tank is a whole other challenge, even a 25 litre one......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"I don't have a holding tank, but we never flush at anchor or on a mooring - like trains back in the day"

Seriously, what's your secret. The necessity to be moving to flush toilets would get tiresome after a bit. Got to be some material handling tricks here. / Jim

I don't have a holding tank, but we never flush at anchor or on a mooring - like trains back in the day
    Well now! At the local railway museum, there is a caboose. A living car for the train conductor. There was a head. I lifted the lid out of curiosity. It was bottomless. That is, waste went right out onto the tracks and ballast. If your arrangement is anything like "trains back in the day", I have no understanding how you remain afloat.

The simple solution is a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, that you can purchase at any big box store. A seat that fits on said bucket is also readily available, I've got one. Put a small layer of pine shavings in the bottom of the bucket. Instruct each guest to simply add more shavings when they are done. When the bucket approaches full, simply press on the water tight lid. Replace with a new bucket, artfully rearranging the seat and some new shavings. Upon return, discretely place the sealed bucket next to a trash bin.

The pine shavings are similar to what you would use for a chicken coop or rabbit hutch. Pine smells nice and clean. So odors are kept to a minimum. If something overly offends, seal it and install the next bucket.

For all the, ahem, frugally minded* a plastic bag will work installed in the bucket, but be prepared for a bag to be unsuccessful in containing contents.

Brad

*cheapskates

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    "I don't have a holding tank, but we never flush at anchor or on a mooring - like trains back in the day"

Seriously, what's your secret. The necessity to be moving to flush toilets would get tiresome after a bit. Got to be some material handling tricks here. / Jim
    Just keep on sailing Chas!!

Finished the splining - well, still have the last ones to sand back.

here's the baton going on for the last cut.
    IMG_7689.jpg

And taddah!

IMG_7690.jpg

Its all glued up, but i didn't take a picture for some reason.
    But it looks like this side

IMG_7674.jpg

Haven't quite worked out what i'll do about that routered stripe at the sheer. I do like it, but it'll create a break in the glassing. Its too tight for two layers of 450g glass to negotiate.

Got the aft deck measured up and on.

IMG_7675.jpg

Ply is 6cm too narrow!
    It's a half a sheet of the Bryunzeel marine ply i used for the rest of the deck. It is left over from that job.

Dry fit, with some little fillers for the corner bits.

IMG_7677.jpg

Then glued and screwed.

IMG_7679.jpg

Then seal it with some light glass.
    IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

Then a fill coat a little later on and replaced the toe rail pieces.

IMG_7694.jpg

And while i was there - i faired in the transom.

IMG_7693.jpg

Also started a small project - a gas bottle locker for the new gas stove.
    (Kero stove up for grabs for any forumite wanting to ship it - complete with pressure chamber. i haven't pulled the little 12v compressor out yet).

IMG_7685.jpg

First a bit of damage.

Then a bit of repair.

IMG_7695.jpg

Then a box.

IMG_7703.jpg

And bottle nice and snug. 4.5ltr bottle.

IMG_7705.jpg

I filleted the inside edges with some thickened epoxy. Gave it a couple of coats of undercoat and a top coat of enamel. I'll give it another top coat when its installed.
    The hole if for a 38mm fitting that will drain directly overboard through the hull.

The gas stove will be installed (by a gas fitter) with two gas sensors, alarmed, and hooked up to a solenoid on the bottle.

Prepping for the glassing job.
    The worlds largest toilet roll holder.

IMG_7680.jpg

I drilled through the hull for the exhaust fitting, before i sealed up the aft section of the deck. Easier to do it then than later.
    The fitting has a gentle curve on it, and finding a spot that matched the curve meant cutting on a plank join.

But it gave me a look at a cross section of the glued splines.

IMG_7681.jpg

Looks really good.

That's from under the aft overhang. Very curve spot, so the saw doesn't sit flat, it kind of see-saws along and its tricky to make it match the guide baton.
    As a result the cut in those sections is only about 50% way through the plank - about 15mm. The saw is set to about 23mm deep, for 28mm planking. I was concerned that the sketchyness of the area, to saw, would result in poor bonding/splining. But this looks good - I'm very happy.

For the full test, i locked it in a vise and whacked it with a hammer.
    Glue join held perfectly, but the wood gave way. Can't ask for better than that.

IMG_7707.jpg

My dodgy old phone camera isn't the may west.
    The piece on the right with the white cap; the white is from the inside face of the hull. The dark smooth face is the section of planking not glued. The spline is under that, with the broken wood belonging to the other plank.

Dripping Epoxy.

John asked the question, if not using wooden splines, how do you get epoxy to stay in between the planks, especially in places where they are facing straight down.
    I just can't get my head around how you would get the penetration, and get it to stay.

I thickened up some epoxy for the aft deck gluing. Then i thickened it up some more to test fill a spot on the stem.
    here the epoxy is thickened with 417 filler, at about 4 parts thickener to one part epoxy by volume (roughly). Like toothpaste.

But it very slowly fell, and eventually a big blob fell off.

IMG_7683.jpg

Close up of the splining at the stem rabet too.
    Last edited by gypsie; 11-12-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Dripping Epoxy.
    ....they are facing straight down.
    I just can't get my head around how you would get the penetration, and get it to stay.
    Once the epoxy is in place, just tape over (under?) it. Wide blue painters tape will do. The tape holds the blob of epoxy in place against gravity. Once the epoxy has gone off, the tape is removed. Do not let the epoxy fully cure before removing the tape. Test it by lightly pressing on the epoxy thru the tape. If it feels hard, you are good to go.

You can now regale all your friends with the miracle of gravity resistant epoxy. Just don't tell 'em about the tape. Old surfboard repair trick.

Brad
    Building the July 1937 Popular Mechanics
    Hollow Hawaiian Surfboard
    Patented by Tom Blake in 1932

www.instagram.com/tomblakesurfboard

Thanks Brad.
    Will remember that.

If you want to get really fancy, lay a flexible yet stiff plastic against the epoxy, under the tape. Gets the surface of the epoxy fair to the surrounding surface almost for free.

Brad
    Building the July 1937 Popular Mechanics
    Hollow Hawaiian Surfboard
    Patented by Tom Blake in 1932

www.instagram.com/tomblakesurfboard

Finished the splining - well, still have the last ones to sand back.

here's the baton going on for the last cut.
    IMG_7689.jpg

And taddah!

IMG_7690.jpg

Its all glued up, but i didn't take a picture for some reason.
    But it looks like this side

IMG_7674.jpg

Haven't quite worked out what i'll do about that routered stripe at the sheer. I do like it, but it'll create a break in the glassing. Its too tight for two layers of 450g glass to negotiate.
    Masina had that. It's called a cove stripe. It's a nuisance with sheathing. Masina's had been sanded through and was collecting water there. The only sheathing related problem on the whole boat. I installed rubbing strips and covered the cove stripes with them. They look good and are very practical.
    Rick

Lots of great work there Trev!
    Rick

Great progress Trev. But between you and me , I wouldn’t use that toilet paper

Hi Trevor,

Interesting on the falling epoxy. 417 is a fairing filler. I have been advised that something like 413 would work. I have fumed silica, which is a fibre, and makes the mix an adhesive, rather than a filling/fairing mix. I think West System 413 would be similar.

But the tape trick would certainly work, I am sure.

Regards,
    John.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Anything plastic taped over it will hold it in place and the filler won't stick to it.
    A 2 litre ice cream container lid with the edge cut off is great for conforming to curves.
    You could just add more powder, it will penetrate the gaps.

Nice work Trev’, great progress. How are you going with the weather and moisture?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary