Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172627

Thread: Fiberglass Sheathing a 1962 Carvel Hull

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Fiberglass Sheathing a 1962 Carvel Hull

When i did my morning inspection rounds on the friday - the bilge had about 10mm of water in it.
    The strainer for the engine raw water was leaking through the lid. The seal, i thik, wasn't lying perfectly flat. If you over tighten those things you can crinkly up an edge of the rubber seal.

Pulled off the lid, got it settled flat and refitted. Drip gone.
    Now i have water in my bilge and no access to 240v power for the wet vac....

small beer really.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Beautiful. One of the most satisfying threads on the Forum - great stamina. Thanks for taking us on the journey.
    Sailing - the fine art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

- Henry Beard

She looks terrific Trev’, congratulations on your launch and all the work that you have done on her, but absolute bummer on the delaminating ply. Don’t give up on the supplier - hound them until you get some compensation out of them, and I’d be going for more than just the cost of the ply given how much you’ve invested in epoxy, paint, time etc...... And if you’re not getting any satisfaction take it to consumer affairs or office of fair trading.....

How does her waterline compare after the glassing?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Wow! Progress ++!

Congratulations, you've done great work!

The dodger looks really good! But, to my eye, a bright finished ply dodger isn't right on a cruising yacht. The performance of your plywood is unusual and disappointing, and the lack of concern on the part of the supplier just disgraceful, but, if I were you, I'd glass it and paint it white. It'll suit the boat, be a lot more practical and last a very long time. Just my opinion.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

WOW!! How satisfying it must be!

The dodger looks like its always been there. Bravo!

Congratulations on getting her back in the water!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Hey Now !!!!

(did i not suggest about a thousand years ago to strip plank the dodger ?)

Congratulations on getting her back in, she looks good! Bummer about the ply, I hope you can get satisfaction from the supplier. Maybe a letter to Bruynzeel's head office in the Netherlands might help.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Great job Trevor. She looks terrific. Must be great to have her back in the water.
    PeterW

That top layer of the ply looks pretty thin.
    Is it the same thickness as the inner cores?
    I'd be pretty pissed off with that after the work that has gone in.

Thanks for the positive words all, and yep, pretty disappointed about the ply. But also, pretty stoked that she's back in. But I wander round my shed now looking for things to do......
    Luckily my swim ladder just started to crumble...

All in all the ply's not the end of the world.
    As Rick suggests, fill, cover in glass and paint white - is still an option. I'm not eager to go there just yet Rick - i find the white box on white has a kind of tower block look. While playing around with the drawings i recognised that a boat, in profile, is a series of horizontal planes; water, topsides, sheer, cabin, handrails etc.. I think aesthetically, it works best when these planes alternate in tone. But its not a battlefield I'd die on and I'll probably go there before the end of the year.

In the short time I've been using the dodger - it is such a positive addition. There's definitely no going back on it.

Greg; waterline - it has moved!
    Bow is down and the stern is up. The rudder is out of the water about 40mm i'd guess, and the bow is down to about 20mm of bottom paint (stern at about 100mm).
    In my mind, if you lighten the boat you'd get a uniform raising. But thinking it through, most of the bouyancy of the boat is abaft the halfway line. So i don't think its lightened a whole lot but its manifest itself by lifting the aft end and dunking the stem.

Crane driver reported 8tn - which is the same as previous lifts. But - thats probably a series of nice round numbers. If there's a 500kg difference it could have the effect i describe - and - it would be within hailing distance of 8tn for the crane drivers.

Slacko - yep, the outer ply is thinner that the rest.

Bruce mate - you didn't come all this way just to say 'i told you so' did you?

Anyhooo - the year and a half plus has been a lot more than just the dodger. Thats literally the cherry on top.
    It is very satisfying to have the boat working as desired. All systems are go (except my ancient freshwater pump needs swapping out, and the aforementioned swim ladder).

All good.

Most importantly the transom job and the hull look terrific and the trim can be adjusted with a bit of ballast aft - all in all I’m thinking that you should be rightfully pretty pleased with the overall result. A nice Christmas present to have her sailing again.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'm sorry Trev, I'm a crap communicator when the subject is not pure nuts n bolts.
    What I'm saying is , when this dodger desintigrates,at least consider strip planking the next one.
    I see a big ass sea fracturing the whole thing.
    The ply looks more like doorskin than structural panels.
    b

Bruce, no apologies needed, i knew it was light hearted.
    But it is possibly a plan B ahead of glass and paint. I'm thinking of adding a layer of say 5mm strips to the forward face.

Thanks for the kind words Larks. I appreciate the clear eyed assessment.

I haven't set a sail yet.
    i'm nervous about putting stress through the boat.. Must get through it......
    i put a deposit on a furling headsail, in the mean time i'll set the jib flying.

Also, i didn't knock off my fridge and it drained my batteries. Below 8v!! So I've been motoring with intent. They're AGM (x2 100ah) and they're taking their sweet time charging up. I got them up to 12.2v and they were keeping that overnight.
    I'm not sure, but i think my charging system is not doing the job. The system doesn't seem to be sending charge to the house batteries. I only get charge in when i jump a lead from the starter battery to the house positive when the motor is kicking over. The system has a couple of wires that get wired up in different configs depending on the batteries you have (Lead Acid/ AGM/ Lithium). I'll check to see if thats the issue.

I have a swap out unit, older model, that i've bench tested. its working fine, so i'll swap that in if i'm getting no joy.

Your hull is stronger now than it's been for at least 30 years, probably ever. Go sailing!
    Rick

Fantastic! Great to see her back in the water. Well done.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Thanks guys.
    Had some friends aboard and we set sail.

my charging problem was a cable, the crimped on connector had seperated under the heatshrink. Happy it was that simple, silly I hadn't picked it earlier.

Cold beer, I feel like I'm cheating or something. Gas stove that works. I even have a stove top espresso machine.
    I'm not sure I can be called a sailor anymore. Maybe princess is more appropriate.

But we can call you boatbuilder.

Whoa, thanks Bruce.
    Knowing the efficiency and competence that you apply to building and repairing, that is high praise.

No pics but had a very nice 24hours on the boat with family.

Everything worked nicely. Even the crudely installed fresh water rinse shower for after swim/before bed.
    Batteries were back at full - solar's doin' its thing.

Set sail, jib set flown. Bit un-seaman-like but fine. 4.5knots in an 8 to 9 breeze. Real pleasant reach across the bay. Such a joy. Got my first injection of 'i-could-go-anywhere'!!!

Been getting in some serious snorkeling, 3 hours yesterday. Wobbegongs, octopus, catfish, guitar sharks, schools of mullet, black fish as big as i've ever seen, eels, some snapper and the list goes on. For anyone who may be interested, the S/E corner of Jervis bay is beautiful snorkeling, especially between Murrays Beach boat ramp and Hole in the Wall. Almost tropical reef stuff on a good day. Marine reserve; you can line fish - but no spears.... No anchoring in under 10m.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Your hull is stronger now than it's been for at least 30 years, probably ever. Go sailing!
    And boy does she like to sail. Its bizarre in an inanimate object to find it really does prefer to be in a certain situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Fantastic! Great to see her back in the water. Well done.
    Thanks Hallam!

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    No pics but had a very nice 24hours on the boat with family.

Everything worked nicely. Even the crudely installed fresh water rinse shower for after swim/before bed.
    Batteries were back at full - solar's doin' its thing.

Set sail, jib set flown. Bit un-seaman-like but fine. 4.5knots in an 8 to 9 breeze. Real pleasant reach across the bay. Such a joy. Got my first injection of 'i-could-go-anywhere'!!!

Been getting in some serious snorkeling, 3 hours yesterday. Wobbegongs, octopus, catfish, guitar sharks, schools of mullet, black fish as big as i've ever seen, eels, some snapper and the list goes on. For anyone who may be interested, the S/E corner of Jervis bay is beautiful snorkeling, especially between Murrays Beach boat ramp and Hole in the Wall. Almost tropical reef stuff on a good day. Marine reserve; you can line fish - but no spears.... No anchoring in under 10m.
    Great to hear - that’s what all that hard graft is all about
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Don't have a dry bilge yet.
    I need to modify my cockpit lockers - the draining isn't as effective as it needs to be.

I think i'll grind out a couple of deep grooves on each side to encourage the water to run off a bit more quickly.

I spent the night onboard in a thick rain storm the other day. Some of the bolts through the saloon top need re-bedding. Little butyl rings under the washers should do it.
    A couple of the stanchion feet bolts could do with similar treatment.

A leak free boat with dry bilges might be on the cards yet!

Also - plowing into a decent chop and 20+knot winds - the water found every little crack. Thing i hadn't banked on was the rails that run the length of the cabin top, go under the dodger; they're not sealed to the cabin - water wicks in when pushed, under those conditions. Tiny amount, nothing problematic, just unexpected.

Bugger - 'always something with wooden boats
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I think that should be 'always something with boats'
    Rick