Thread: Oughtred Acorn 15 or stretched 17 version?

Default Oughtred Acorn 15 or stretched 17 version?

I'm getting ready to start building an Acorn skiff and am wavering back and forth whether I should build the 15' version, which I'm leaning toward, or stretch it to the 17' version. The intended use is for rowing (single rower) either alone or with one passenger (on rare occasions there may be two). The 15' version should suit this need nicely and in addition have the advantages of slightly lighter weight, better fit on my trailer, and more room in the shop during the build.

The 17' version would certainly be a better choice for 2 rowers, but that would be a rare need. Would there be any other significant advantages with the longer boat. Perhaps a bit easier to row? More comfortable for the rower and passenger? Better trim with the passenger aft and the rower at the midships station?

I built Oughtred's Arctic Tern years ago and have often thought that I should have stretched it ... the likely source of my uncertainty for this build.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
    - Anything you can't have fun with is not worth taking seriously.

Default Re: Oughtred Acorn 15 or stretched 17 version?

The longer hull will be a little faster and more stable when rowing, so Id be tempted to build It. But the shop size limitations could be a deal breaker.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The 17 if you've got room and will be rowing it with conviction...Drake Race is probably optimum at the minute: 18-20ft and ideal prismatic / waterlines for higher froude speeds if your going to be 'taking exercise'. Rigs and foil position drawn on the Oughtred though.

I'd go 17. I have the 11 foot version. I think a 17 would be delightful.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

The benefits of extra room during building will be short-lived compared to the advantages of the longer length while in use under oars. Go for the 17’ & know you made the right choice as you negotiate the tighter clearances in your boat shop.

Thanks all. Your comments reinforce my mind that I'll find more satisfaction in the longer version. Freeing up additional shop space won't be easy, but it can be done with some decluttering effort.
    - Anything you can't have fun with is not worth taking seriously.