Thread: Brion Toss Crosses The Bar

Default Brion Toss Crosses The Bar

Brion Toss has passed over the bar. Fair winds and following seas to you.

https://m.facebook.com/briontosslifememories/

Posted belowdecks as well at http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ing-Seas-Brion
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Brion Toss Crosses The Bar

Fair leads, Brion.

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sad News.....

Saw the ambulance outside of his home. Feared the worst. Sorry I was correct.

I wish him the best at Fiddlers Green, Brian was a rigging genius and a good friend!
    Sail on sail on my friend!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-14-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Very sad. I communicated with him quite a bit when I was changing my rig. He was very unselfish with his time and advice. A good man who will be missed.

As a lifelong boat guy who came late to sailing, I found him an always-willing, deeply knowledgeable resource. And patient with my ignorance. Didn't know him well, but enjoyed my talks with him.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

RIP, I have his book in front of me on the shelf. Good read and I found it very usefull.
    A2

I met Brion sometime in the 70s. It was the time of the first Lake Union boat show. He and his girlfriend were selling macrame plant hangers.

Sad news. I hope that in time our parent Mag does a feature on him and his contributions.

I met Brion on the Bill of Rights in Newport in 1980. I had midship watch and he sat next to me on the fuel tank. We were in a race down East Passage. Just after the start Skip Wood the mate started yelling at a guy sailing down on us and the fleet. Ticonderoga was port side aft of us just out of our wind shadow when Haste lost her wind going just clear of us. We were all going a good clip except for Haste. Brion got a photo right after the really load explosion of Ti's bowsprit taking out Haste's mast. It sounded like a cannon going off and all we saw was the conversion to fir firewood. I shared a drink with The skipper on Ticonderoga in 2012 and he recalled that day like it was yesterday. Brion got to publish the proceedings in an issue that year in the magazine. Haste makes Waste was the header. Fine man, sorry to hear of his loss. He got to be on board the last year of manila sheets and halyards on the schooner. We all got interesting callouses on touch and top sides of our fingers working with that stuff. Our hands were never the same with synthetic lines.