Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Tesla launch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    25,319

    Default Tesla launch

    ... or... launched! My partner just told me about her TG excitement - while backing out of her garage, her Tesla 85 suddenly accelerated hard, in reverse, sliding the car sideways into the side and pretty much taking out the outside wall and door. Wouldn't shut down; couldn't stop it. Brakes didn't work. Couldn't shift it. This went on for ? how long before it stopped of it's own accord, after literally shredding the left rear tire. Had it done this while in 'drive', she'd have gone through the other side of the garage, where a two-story drop awaited.

    Being an inquisitive sort, she looked up the stats (after the tech she reached at Tesla claimed 'I've never heard of that before') and learned - there have been more than 500,000 complaints about this, over the past several years.

    Software issue? Gremlins?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    36,663

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    It's a feature they stole from Audi...

    Glad she's OK!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    16,094

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    Explain to the non Tesla folk. What’s TG. What happened? Was she in the car?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    105,570

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    ludicrous mode
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    36,663

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Explain to the non Tesla folk. What’s TG. What happened? Was she in the car?
    In this instance - I presumed he meant Thanksgiving.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    737

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    What’s a Tesla 85?
    There are not 500,000 complaints, but rather 500,000 cars that may be affected, according to Consumer Reports. Nothing proven yet.

    Also, I seem to recall hearing that almost all reports of sudden acceleration turn out to be caused by mistaking the accelerator pedal for the brake.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    He left of the S, a S 85, rated at 265 miles per charge.

    From what I have read, it looks like there is a recall on 500,000 Teslas, not 500,000 instances of acceleration problems.

    The petition covers 2012 through 2019 model year Tesla Model S, 2016 through 2019 Tesla Model X, and 2018 through 2019 Tesla Model 3 vehicles, the agency said. The petition cites “127 consumer complaints to NHTSA involving 123 unique vehicles. The reports include 110 crashes and 52 injuries,” the agency added.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Last edited by sonofswen; 11-30-2020 at 02:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    25,319

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    Ah - much better! I don't follow tesla, so had trouble imagining that many such incidents. 'possibly affecting' makes a lot more sense.

    AFA 'hitting the accelerator' - she says most definitely not, and that she couldn't stop it, once it started. OTOH - I wasn't there.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    13,076

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    ... or... launched! My partner just told me about her TG excitement - while backing out of her garage, her Tesla 85 suddenly accelerated hard, in reverse, sliding the car sideways into the side and pretty much taking out the outside wall and door. Wouldn't shut down; couldn't stop it. Brakes didn't work. Couldn't shift it. This went on for ? how long before it stopped of it's own accord, after literally shredding the left rear tire. Had it done this while in 'drive', she'd have gone through the other side of the garage, where a two-story drop awaited.

    Being an inquisitive sort, she looked up the stats (after the tech she reached at Tesla claimed 'I've never heard of that before') and learned - there have been more than 500,000 complaints about this, over the past several years.

    Software issue? Gremlins?
    Maybe Tesla hired some of the Boeing engineers that worked on the 737-MAX's MCAS system.

    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    25,319

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    That'd do it!

    'And we got 'em at a steep discount! Steep, that is!'
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    30,206

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    I looked into buying a Model 3. I decided against it for reasons of perceived quality.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    8,293

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    The 3 is sort of a "discount" Tesla, even the name is weird compared to the other cars in their line up. I have heard the Model Y is better.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    8,685

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    I got one of the affected Audis cheap because of the flap about it, I think the acceleration issue affected automatics and I had a stick. Sometimes the throttle would go up a little and I just had to blip it to settle it down, nothing major. Plus I could always clutch it or turn off the key, and it had enough brakes to overpower the engine at any time (even under wide open throttle because it had hydraulic brake assist, not vacuum). But it's for this reason that I don't like "soft" main engine on/off switches. When I want it off, I want it off NOW.

    However, I did at one time have a different brand car that had a large stainless steel vacuum line (I think for EGR) between the intake manifold and engine intake, downstream of the throttle, and when it cracked at a the swage fitting, the engine tried to go full throttle. limited only by the crack size. I just shut off the engine. Replacement tube was expensive and would have failed the same way, I just took the tube and swage fitting off and had an ace welder put a welded joint there. It never failed again.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    13,076

    Default Tesla launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    The 3 is sort of a "discount" Tesla, even the name is weird compared to the other cars in their line up. I have heard the Model Y is better.

    Just gonna say



    And if you put the "R" for the roadster, you get

    "Tesla R SX3Y"

    Elon Musk is a frat boy if the first water. Especially when you consider the years dedicated to it.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    6,184

    Default Re: Tesla launch

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Ah - much better! I don't follow tesla, so had trouble imagining that many such incidents. 'possibly affecting' makes a lot more sense.

    AFA 'hitting the accelerator' - she says most definitely not, and that she couldn't stop it, once it started. OTOH - I wasn't there.
    if you “follow” Tesla the fanboys will convince you a knife is the best tool to eat soup with

    NHTSA just announced a suspension investigation 3 years after Tesla denied any such thing. It’s a scam.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •