Thread: Piccup Pram

Default Piccup Pram

I am mostly stuck at home with two small kids due to current situation. I want an easy, cheap, project for entertainment. I have been thinking about the Michalak Piccup Pram for a couple years now, and all of a sudden I have an excess of free time on my hands.

I like this design because it's simple, cheap and car toppable. Any one built one? Happy with it? How much did it cost, time and money?

I have done some wood projects before; puddle duck racer, built a sail rig for my canoe, made a bunch of polytarp sails. But never built something this big.

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/jm-piccuppram.htm

Thoughts?

Default Re: Piccup Pram

I'd build the squared version. Skip the epoxy and have the kids help. https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/...cupsquared.htm

I was wondering about the squared version. That was how we built our PDR. My son did indeed help through out. I wonder how much weight would be added by going with the squared version? Would want to car top.

Guessing weight should be about the same. Builder choices making a bigger difference than the different designs. Less four long glass and epoxy seams and replacing them with two 1x2s(or close.) I'm biased as I'd much rather nail and glue than do stitch and glue for close to the same result.

Never built one but sailed and rowed a friend's. Lots of fun, a great design that can carry more canvas than in the plans if you like excitement.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I built one. It is a much better boat than I am a sailor. It probably cost me between $800 to $1000. I had some nice plywood shipped which raised the cost.

That is an interesting design! I like the simplicity of it all except that, I belive that several things could be improved upon. I think one would feel a bit more comfortable if the height of the rail were raised by an inch or more. The reason is that the hull will have less tendancy to take on water as the wind picks up and water slops aboard from the forward lee rail. A slightly higher sheer line could help a lot in that department. Also, for those who choose to sail with their backs against the weather rail, the slightly higher sheer will raise the point of contact of the spine against the hull to a more comfortable position to rest ones back against! "Quiet Tune" which is an L.Francis Herreshoff design has that problem with her cockpit which is very uncomfortable to sit in for many people. Lastly, even though a rail and meeting of the sides with the outer rub rail abutted to the plywood is fairly common, it is better to not leave the edge of the plywood at the sheer uncapped as moisture has an insipid way of migrating into the grain and promoting dry rot within the core. Simply capping the edge will prevent this to a much greater advantage and increase the life of the boat! This would is easy to build if an L shaped cap is incorporated as it would leave a comfortable sheer to lean against that will also protect the plywood end grain. Other wise this is a fun boat to build and sail! I like that balanced lug rig as well!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-07-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Raise the rail? For what possible reason.....oh. Nevermind. Yes you can have too much fun in a Piccup Pram.

Michalak did an updated version with a few changes, don't know much about it at all. https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/...cupsquared.htm
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

That's a nice rig? I have one nearly identical in need of a boat. Do you know roughly how many square feet? Mine is 50. Prpbably too small for the Pickup?

A friend's Piccup so I'm not sure, but on that particular day it was a tiny bit too large... Probably a little over 50 with the jib.

I was given a Piccup Pram last summer by a friend. First homebuilt boat that I've sailed that I haven't built, myself. I like it way more than I anticipated liking it. It's a great little solo boat and easily hauls around my 11-year-old daughter and I.

-Trevor

I am in the process of finishing a Piccup Pram. I am at the point where I will be needing a sail very soon. Does anyone have a suggestion of which sail I should buy and where I can buy one from. I want to use something close to the 68 sq. ft. lug sail with a reef point.
    Last edited by Hawgster; 08-26-2022 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgster View Post
    I am in the process of finishing a Piccup Pram. I am at the point where I will be needing a sail very soon. Does anyone have a suggestion of which sail I should buy and where I can buy one from. I want to use something close to the 68 sq. ft. lug sail with a reef point.
    Not sure what your budget is, but there is an RSS sail that is right at that area: https://duckworks.com/rss-viola-sailing-canoe-lugsail/ -- pretty high aspect ratio though, compared to the photos that the piccup has (so, it would probably sail better, but would probably need a different mast!).
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

Duckworks will have one made for you if you ask them, either though RSS or another maker the use. As well you can go to Really Simple Sails directly. I think these two options are the best if you want the sail that is designed for the boat. Both provide good quality, good price, and are professionals at making lug sails.

If you don't want to wait to have one made, I think Daniel's suggestion is good. You could also look at the 65 sqft. Neil Pryde pram sail

https://duckworks.com/custom-sails/
    https://reallysimplesails.com

https://duckworks.com/neil-pryde-tanbark-pram-sails/
    Last edited by Matt young; 08-27-2022 at 06:47 PM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-