Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9181920 LastLast

Thread: Eat yer heart out, tractor man.....

Default Re: Eat yer heart out, tractor man.....

I reckon there's a place for those heavily groomed and sanitised trails. Especially close to the city or on the first couple of easy kilometres of any trail on a tourist route. As Rick says, you have to manage the erosion on heavily used tracks. When (we had in the past and are likely to have again next summer) you have coach loads of tourists wanting to get snaps of the view point from as far along the trail as the coach stop allows, you have to protect the track from the foot traffic.

But the other aspect is accessibility. We have a lot of bush tracks within the city and suburbs, and I think it's reasonable that a proportion of them, where the natural gradient allows, should be improved to allow access for disabled, elderly or infirm citizens.

Where I think it has gone wrong though, is on the long descent at the end of the Tongariro Crossing, or the similarly 'improved' section at the end of the Pouakai Crossing in Taranaki. The endless boardwalks are a huge scar on the landscape, are horrible to walk on and degrade quickly, needing frequent maintenance, which often involves helicoptering in supplies. These are supposed to be great walks in the mountains, surely there's a better way to harden the surface against erosion without sanitising the experience and ruining the view.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

One of the little favourites too, the Fantails peep away and fly close when you're walking. We like to think how friendly they are, they like the miniature bugs disturbed in the air as we walk, its win win.

Talking
    of Piwakawaka JB found these two hiding amidst the post move clutter so they are now off to the Palmer room to enjoy the warmth.
    The fantails are abundant here on the ranch too and they are very welcome company for the builder that has now become the constantly constant gardener.
    IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
    One of the little favourites too, the Fantails peep away and fly close when you're walking. We like to think how friendly they are, they like the miniature bugs disturbed in the air as we walk, its win win.

Talking
    of Piwakawaka JB found these two hiding amidst the post move clutter so they are now off to the Palmer room to enjoy the warmth.
    The fantails are abundant here on the ranch too and they are very welcome company for the builder that has now become the constantly constant gardener.
    IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    Wow, and very comfy looking on this cold rainy day...

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Always disappointing but a necessary evil in popular areas. Tracks get deeper and then erosion turns them into whole new waterways. Trails become networks of trails and then networks of erosion ditches. We had massive erosion developing in the bush over from us and tried to restrict access with rocks, logs, you name it. So we eventually stuck a white post in front of the worst access point, completely unofficial, and it worked. Now, 30 years later, the area's starting to recover. It gets a lot more use lately though and is starting to get to the point where the sheer number of new tracks will cause serious issues again. I hate the idea of a marked track or walkway through there being built but I think it will probably be the only way to stop the shore from collapsing in the next 10 years.
    Traps, what about the traps....

The PO of our place had the driveway festooned with signs, I left one 10 k sign as a mind my gravel guide and screwed the rest to the wall.
    20220629_131618.jpg
    There were arrows and another speed sign or two... all for 300 metres. The hell with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A mile from where I used to live is The Long Trail. Goes the length of Vermont following the summits of the Green Mountains. https://www.greenmountainclub.org/the-long-trail/

It is heavily used, but volunteers do a lot of work on it & it's closed during the spring until it dries out. Bridges (hand cut log) & placing stones make a big difference.
    I'll look at that a bit later. We have some pretty good short walks around here but there's an issue with Kauri dieback through infection, you have to clean shoes at cleaning waystations to mitigate that . Not difficult although over the top signage is the norm there, that clashes and is unecessary. We can read 2 inch high letters OK.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    My pet hate, or one of them. Eco vandalism.
    Paint on rocks does not last very long in the scheme of things. A mere million years and there will be not a trace of paint

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Paint on rocks does not last very long in the scheme of things. A mere million years and there will be not a trace of paint
    But I won't get to see it gone...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Traps, what about the traps....
    Yep, traps are good but only feasible to install on a main track. So if people can be directed onto a main track, then you can maintain that track and prevent erosion. But if you have a cobweb of tracks, they're not feasible or effective.

Our bush has almost no topsoil so it takes very little pedestrian traffic to form a new and very obvious track. Once it rains, the new track becomes virtually permanent very quickly.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

I hate signs, painted rocks etc., too but I've become a big fan of formed pathways through popular areas.
    Rick

And now fer something completely different...
    I had a short and sweet visit from a touring WBeffer and lovely partner last night. Here they are leaving a short while ago.
    20220630_090524.jpg
    what a nice evening and am.
    A bit of conversation with words like Rick, Gary, Peter, Greg, Duncan and Phil in it too.
    Bonus weeds.
    Last edited by John B; 06-29-2022 at 05:07 PM.

Someone we know? Someone "we" have offended? Kiwi, Aus, Hamerican, Canardigan, Pom?
    Rick

waa'l pardner , I don't know if I should say ,except he's a blend of two of em and works very hard.
    edit clue.
    It starts with T and ends with M and has 3 letters.
    Last edited by John B; 07-03-2022 at 04:52 PM.

This has nothing to do with tractors or gardens but it has a dawg so..
    20220703_112515.jpg
    Yes, I was wormed out of my little Northland burrow and attracted by the lure of a roast meal and grog in the smoke, Auckland... midwinter sailing buddies get together. We call it Matariki. There was rum because sailing sailors do.

Not a bad old spot really I suppose.
    20220703_112719.jpg
    We sailed that stretch thousands of times.. countless.
    First photo taken from a bunker built to house 4 inch naval guns for the Russian scare of 1885.
    I should have put it in the ScOTT thread dammit.
    Last edited by John B; 07-03-2022 at 04:54 PM.

waa'l pardner , I don't know if I should say ,except he's a blend of two of em and works very hard.
    edit clue.
    It starts with T and ends with M and has 3 letters.
    That fulla does more travel than anyone else I know!
    Rick

That fault came back and got me again, The grillo broke down, there was profanity once more, the cussing assisted the tow truck getting the thing back up the hill to somewhere dry , I'm sure.
    Eventually I had to think like a mower.. what would break causing an intermittent start issue descending into a complete won't go.

20220812_121657.jpg
    I find that stomping off assists with tricky diagnostics like this, so the next day when the sun came out and after a nights sleep I began to trace.
    Defeated the seat cut off while looking.
    Starter sometimes cranks weakly, as if there's weak or no battery so its connections , grounds, battery charge first. Arced out the solenoid ,it cranks, so I probably could have started it down the hill had the pink mist cleared.
    Pulled ignition connections, solenoid connections looking for corrosion. checked the microswitch cutoff on blade engagement.
    Eventually found the third cutoff, another microswitch right underneath and exposed to clippings and wet.. sure enough, thats the issue.
    This one is to shut the engine down if the forward reverse is engaged, or just off neutral. So the green lantern is all go again and all is right in New Wetland once more. Its raining.
    Last edited by John B; 08-17-2022 at 03:38 PM.

I've bought the most dilapidated old tractor I've ever seen because it has a loader with bucket- just a manual lever activated drop bucket but the arms are on hydraulics- and a beat up old slasher on the other end. An old feller used it for years moving logs around at his saw mill. Always left out in the weather. Anyhoo it's been a real mongrel trying to find a carrier to pick it up for me- it's five hours north of here. Finally found a truckie who agreed to do it for a good price as a back load from Kempsey. Yesterday he backed the semi in to position and got the ramps set up. Feller I'm buying it from started the old girl, lifted the bucket and drove about two feet and it blew a hydraulic hose, dropped the bucket and sprayed oil everywhere. Truckie said he couldn't take it like that as he had to go over a public weigh bridge and he'd get hung if he showed up with oil dribbling off his truck. We shall try again in a weeks time. I'll post a piccie when it gets here- you're gonna love it JayInOz

And a PS- I just ordered an oil filter for the Fiat- sixty nine dollars plus freight! Scoundrels.
    Last edited by JayInOz; 08-16-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Damn Jay, that's my worst nightmare. Looking at a wheeled excavator backhoe and I'm afraid of all the hyd hose messes that can occur.. Can still use the unit but don't want to end up with 2 tons of carp on my property. I guess I might have to gamble.. Wish me luck!

Loki hydraulic hoses are an easy fix, just messy and you lose a lot of oil quick when they go. My old Dad was pushing timber one day on a big Massey Ferguson- the only tractor we ever owned that had a full cab. It blew a hose inside the cab and sprayed Dad and everything else with really hot hydraulic oil under a lot of pressure. Quite spectacular JayInOz

That's quite a train you've got there!

Stomping off & profanity are important items in anyone's toolkit - but beware - just like other tools, higher quality profanity works better.

What would a switch in the grass area of the mower be for? Sounds ripe for damage.

@Jay - what sort of Fiat uses that expensive a filter?

@Jay - what sort of Fiat uses that expensive a filter?
    This one Garret- 1960 513R

i would measure that oil filter and find it at the local auto parts store. probably a common configuration.

i discovered that steyr, in building my marine turbo diesel, used a filter common in john deere backhoe tractors etc.. steyr paints it gray, quintuples the price.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Nice old tractor! Seems they didn't sell that model in the US - so I can't find a price here. I'm assuming it's a canister filter - not a spin-on? If so, ID, OD, & height should allow you to find a substitute. Make sure to check both top & bottom IDs as they may be different.

Thats one sirius bit of kit there Jay, you can flatten a lot of mice with that fer sure.
    Garret, the last safety microswitch is to cutout the start function if the hydrostatic lever is out of neutral. IE , has to be in neutral to start up. It's right down low just above the mower deck. I'm surprised it lasted so long.

Thats one sirius bit of kit there Jay, you can flatten a lot of mice with that fer sure.
    Garret, the last safety microswitch is to cutout the start function if the hydrostatic lever is out of neutral. IE , has to be in neutral to start up. It's right down low just above the mower deck.
    Good thing to have, but sounds like lousy placement! My little Kubota has a manual high/neutral/low shift - along with the regular hydrostatic pedal. won't start unless that's in neutral & if the tractor sits for more than a month it requires shifting back & forth a dozen times or so to free up the switch. I'm waiting for when that "fix" no longer works.

Good thing to have, but sounds like lousy placement! My little Kubota has a manual high/neutral/low shift - along with the regular hydrostatic pedal. won't start unless that's in neutral & if the tractor sits for more than a month it requires shifting back & forth a dozen times or so to free up the switch. I'm waiting for when that "fix" no longer works.
    Those little hydrostatic mowers have the F/R on a lever conveniently at your right hand, I think they call it the collective.
    Heh.
    Meanwhile, today it's national flooding day. It's particularly bad in the South Island and just torrential here. The Met guys have a new phrase they're trotting out on every media report.... it's an 'Atmospheric river' that's trashing us. I blame the Australians for sending it here..., except for Jay and Rick, and Greg and Gary. Tom. Bruce and Phil. Duncs.Jeff.
    I'm stuck indoors looking at the interweb.ho hum.
    Outdoors is like this between rainsqualls. No trees down yet. Some road blockages into Town due to flooded bridges etc.
    20220818_111851.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 08-17-2022 at 06:55 PM.

They've been telling us to expect more rain tomorrow, but it looks to me like it might just slip south. I'm a fan of The Once A Day Farmer at the southern end of the north island of In Zid, and he seems to have been getting far more nice days than other. Half his luck. It's a swamp around here. Here's the current radar- lot of cold air down south! http://www.bom.gov.au/products/natio...sat.loop.shtml JayInOz

Yeah, wet there means wet here 3 days later. Wait.. that means it's not going to stop.
    It's actually quite an interesting phenomenon going on ,a giant high pressure in the tropics to the east and another giant low to the west making enormous feeder wheels to funnel this spout/ river of water down on top of little Ole us. I live north of the k. People at the top of the South Island , West coast particularly , are really suffering.
    FB_IMG_1660782130868.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 08-17-2022 at 07:34 PM.

I've bought the most dilapidated old tractor I've ever seen because it has a loader with bucket- just a manual lever activated drop bucket but the arms are on hydraulics- and a beat up old slasher on the other end. An old feller used it for years moving logs around at his saw mill. Always left out in the weather. Anyhoo it's been a real mongrel trying to find a carrier to pick it up for me- it's five hours north of here. Finally found a truckie who agreed to do it for a good price as a back load from Kempsey. Yesterday he backed the semi in to position and got the ramps set up. Feller I'm buying it from started the old girl, lifted the bucket and drove about two feet and it blew a hydraulic hose, dropped the bucket and sprayed oil everywhere. Truckie said he couldn't take it like that as he had to go over a public weigh bridge and he'd get hung if he showed up with oil dribbling off his truck. We shall try again in a weeks time. I'll post a piccie when it gets here- you're gonna love it JayInOz

And a PS- I just ordered an oil filter for the Fiat- sixty nine dollars plus freight! Scoundrels.
    Just an update- the truckie called me last night and said he hoped to pick up the old tractor today around mid morning and deliver it late afternoon. Next call was at 6.30 this evening. He had a big day carting cattle and didn't get away with my tractor until after 5.30. He asked if I'd mind if he unloaded the tractor tonight. He won't get here until after 10.30. He said I hope that's OK. It's just that I have to unload, switch trucks and drive to Darwin. He's driving 406 kilometres, unloading and then heading to Darwin- 3,691 k's- about thirty nine hours! It's currently four degrees with snow on higher ground. Darwin will be nice but that's a big drive! JayInOz

Just an update- the truckie called me last night and said he hoped to pick up the old tractor today around mid morning and deliver it late afternoon. Next call was at 6.30 this evening. He had a big day carting cattle and didn't get away with my tractor until after 5.30. He asked if I'd mind if he unloaded the tractor tonight. He won't get here until after 10.30. He said I hope that's OK. It's just that I have to unload, switch trucks and drive to Darwin. He's driving 406 kilometres, unloading and then heading to Darwin- 3,691 k's- about thirty nine hours! It's currently four degrees with snow on higher ground. Darwin will be nice but that's a big drive! JayInOz
    Sounds like he will be in breach of the time driving laws!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

man on a mission.

20220728_123311[126].jpg Look John B and be jealous She's all mine!

She comes with a new hydraulic hose, a tyre that won't hold air, a bucket I can't remove, a slasher with one blade and a bench vice bolted on top- and a free pair of antique fencing pliers JayInOz

gandolf?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Look John B and be jealous She's all mine!

She comes with a new hydraulic hose, a tyre that won't hold air, a bucket I can't remove, a slasher with one blade and a bench vice bolted on top- and a free pair of antique fencing pliers JayInOz
    And a can on the exhaust! That's a good thing actually. I see it has the easy-access hood option too.

20220728_123311[126].jpg Look John B and be jealous She's all mine!

Nicknamed Lucky
    Rick