Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2111213 LastLast

Thread: Eat yer heart out, tractor man.....

Default Re: Eat yer heart out, tractor man.....

And who among us would ever defeat a seat safety switch. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i reckon the risk results are skewed by some particularly bad set ups. we've all seen them.

but that bx pto won't turn if the operator isn't sitting in the seat. and the type of auger john is looking at is raised and lowered from the seat.

so long as one keeps any bystanders, ducks etc. well away, danger from a 3-point pto driven auger ought to be minimal.
    I'll admit I run the augur from the side of the tractor, as I can see the hole better. I still stay well clear of it & set the brakes as well as firmly setting the bucket. I have managed to wrap up wire & it's not fun. I was in no danger, as I was well clear, but it was 30 minutes of wire cutters & unwrapping.

Keeping ducks clear is very important!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    And who among us would ever defeat a seat safety switch. . .
    A soda can rolled under the seat will do that, just sayin'

There is a specific method for running the pto without being in the seat, tip it forward. Also don't need to be in it to operate the backhoe . Lots of things like that surprise me, starts in gear, starts without your foot on the brake.
    Suits me fine, my Transit won't start without the clutch depressed for example...mollycoddling.
    I'll tell you what it won't let you do... you can't move it by standing and driving with the seat set backwards for backhoe operation. So I'm told.
    Last edited by John B; 08-01-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'll admit I run the augur from the side of the tractor, as I can see the hole better. I still stay well clear of it & set the brakes as well as firmly setting the bucket. I have managed to wrap up wire & it's not fun. I was in no danger, as I was well clear, but it was 30 minutes of wire cutters & unwrapping.

Keeping ducks clear is very important!
    I have to speak firmly to the ducks about job safety. After Lee raised the subject of hand tamping I called a squad in to paddle the gravel down. Like everything though, you have your helpful and hard working ducks, then you have your shirkers and showoffs. Then of course there's the added complication of the mixed genders and distractions that brings. I draw the line at bonking though. Not having any of that there sexual activity going on while there's work to be done, they can do that on their own time. Violence and duck thuggery? No , just not acceptable, won't tolerate intimidation either.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Ten degrees above average yesterday- I spent the entire day emptying out the septic tank with a shovel, a bucket and a wheel barrow. We're really looking forward to spring. My geese have started laying, early wattle trees in full bloom and covered in bees, a single flower on one of the peach trees. Today was back to normal. Rain started at three this afternoon and at four a young couple turned up to buy two piglets from me, so I got to slop through the mud and separate them from their mother and then chase them around and around through the mud and muck until I could catch the ones they wanted. After two months of it, my long term goal now is to get through a whole day without getting any s##t on me. Wish me luck JayInOz
    It's kind of unfair there are no photos or video really, doncha think.....

It's raining and gusty, I had my shot, my arm hurts, my wife is away . I'm inside.

What's happening in Ruraltopia elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    It's raining and gusty, I had my shot, my arm hurts, my wife is away . I'm inside.

I had my initial appt today to get 2 new hips. The doctor said I shouldn't have waited so long...

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I had my initial appt today to get 2 new hips. The doctor said I shouldn't have waited so long...
    That's a biggy.
    A neighbour had one done recently, recovery was really fast...impressively so.
    And in 19 our great friends we cruise with , he had double knee replacement. 2 or 3 months later we were at sea sailing beside each other to Fiji.
    Pretty amazing procedure really.

It's sunny but becoming overcast in preparation for a rainy day tomorrow, my damaged Achilles tendon is acting up today so my ankle hurts, my wife is going away for the week next week, and I gotta start digging up my septic tank in prep for it being pumped.

Another day in paradise...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

^ I'm going to guess that the septic tank service is the reason for the trip?

do you think one of my chickens just gave up early today, or did some other bird use the henhouse?

0A4F9F85-6FAA-41A3-8815-EB02C51FD9DC.jpg

eggs for scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    ^ I'm going to guess that the septic tank service is the reason for the trip?
    Could be worse. Digging up a septic tank in winter when frost is in the ground is not a treat at all, at all. DAMHIKT.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    It's sunny but becoming overcast in preparation for a rainy day tomorrow, my damaged Achilles tendon is acting up today so my ankle hurts, my wife is going away for the week next week, and I gotta start digging up my septic tank in prep for it being pumped.

Another day in paradise...
    The feller here who pumps out septic tanks reckoned he couldn't get close enough to do ours because I've planted so many trees, so I emptied it a couple of days ago with a bucket and shovel. Fifteen to twenty gallons per wheelbarrow load, about eighty yards each way, stop to open and close the gate twice because the sheep think I might have food this trip. Now I have to replace the pipe and dig a new rubble drain- the old one has collapsed. Unfortunately there are now a number of large, well established vegetable gardens and fruit trees exactly where the pipe needs to go. This is gonna be a biggie and all dug by hand.
    Crawled out of bed yesterday after another crappie night of insomnia- really need a new knee among other things. Made a coffee and checked the local weather forecast- scattered showers, destructive winds and a maximum temperature of nine degrees. Another lovely day on a motor bike. Some days it's hard to get motivated, but I reminded myself that the afternoon before I was trying to do neat welds on light metal with a stick welder that was ancient when my father gave it to me twenty years ago- the hand piece is held together with tape and the earth clamp is broken, so I did a quick run into town and bought a seven hundred dollar Mig/ Stick welder. Work's a pain but it lets me buy toys. I also bought two books this week, another side of leather and the biggest cutting board I could find.
    I've had to crowd a bunch of my pigs together because the main pen is water logged- so much rain over a couple of months that the water has ceased to drain away. Went to check on them last night and one of my sows is trying to make a nest in amongst the other pigs in preparation for giving birth. So I had to build a small temporary pen for her and then get her out from amongst the other pigs and persuade her to go through the gate- the whole procedure began at nine thirty last night and was completed just after midnight.
    Chance of a shower today but a balmy fourteen degrees. I might stop on the way home from work and have a skinny dip in a puddle somewhere.

Lee your chooks will sometimes lay a little egg like that at the beginning or end of laying. It will often have a rough shell which is thicker than normal and contain a small amount of white but no yolk. JayInOz

Could be worse. Digging up a septic tank in winter when frost is in the ground is not a treat at all, at all. DAMHIKT.
    The house I grew up in was on a tank system and I was front and centre when the old steel tank came out and the new concrete one went in. If I had to choose, I'd take winter, my nose doesn't sniff as well when it's freezing.

I agree about the odor diminishment in freezing temps, but its the five minutes of hard pick-axe work to get a single shovelful of dirt outta the hole that gets to me.

We're on septic tank, don't want to know about it. I'll call up Steve's Takeaways when the time comes.
    Achilles...that's a worry. I've had a few friends in moon boots too.

Eggs, I heard my first Shining cuckoo for the year this week. Early early, poor little Grey Warblers are going to be growing some ridiculously large chicks soon.
    The cuckoos are about the size of a small starling or blackbird, down here from PNG or Vanuatu I think.
    The Grey Warblers are a close second to the smallest bird in the country ,and that's only because their tail is longer than the smallest.
    In the following quiz type photo there is a grey warbler that buzzed me yesterday. I just cannot get a proper snap of one, they're too dam fast
    20210803_100904.jpg
    Your mission....etc etc.
    Last edited by John B; 08-04-2021 at 07:13 PM.

I agree about the odor diminishment in freezing temps, but its the five minutes of hard pick-axe work to get a single shovelful of dirt outta the hole that gets to me.
    In between rainsqualls I nipped out for a Mandarin and to photograph my septic tank.Its under the agave.
    20210805_121531.jpg
    So at least I don't need a pickaxe, machete will do.
    Note the frangipani in the foreground, hasn't lost its leaves yet.They should have been well gone.

was going to mow some weeds today.

declared a bumblebee sanctuary instead.

*dusts hands*

10DE317A-4C50-494E-907A-B2F914E8D35E.jpg

^ you did the right thing.
    It stopped raining for a bit this afternoon, I pulled some old posts.
    20210805_153059.jpg
    Easier than a 55 Chev post jack plus Makita.

speaking of wheelies, lookit my new wheeliebarrow.

all steel, six cubic feets, made in uusaastan, oooo-weee!

57A6A3AC-2EE0-47C7-9D1E-48C7B3847C69.jpg

Always thought metal handles were a good move.

We need another barrow. I like the common theme on youtube fails where someone pushes a loaded barrow up a plank, they slip , it flips back and dumps the load of dirt on the operators back. Must add that to my cv sometime.
    The stone boat came out today for the tail of a 30 ft log. Chained it and the log to the 3 point hitch and towed the thing up a hill to a new resting place. Couldn't have done that with the transit.

My uncle dislocated shoulder with a barrow - full of gravel crossing a trench on a plank, tried to save it when the barrow went overboard. I try to remind myself to let it go whenever I start losing control of a barrow. Whatever is in it, cleaning it up won't be half as painful as recovering from a torn shoulder.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Until you you try a two wheel wheelbarrow you don't know what your missing. Side dumps are over rated.
    True Temper 6 cu. ft. Poly Wheelbarrow with Dual Wheels-RP6DWLG8 - The Home Depot

Tom

Except for dirt, stones, or loads like that, a garden cart is way better than a wheelbarrow.

^ you did the right thing.
    It stopped raining for a bit this afternoon, I pulled some old posts.
    20210805_153059.jpg
    Easier than a 55 Chev post jack plus Makita.
    If you can "bounce" it a bit you may succeed in shock loading or damaging the foundation/frame...

Still the most useful here is the rotomoulded cart/trailer thing. Towed behind the grillo or used as a barrow. Firewood , garden waste, chip or soil. Takes a full loader bucket of dirt.
    I think I'll have to change to turf tyres on the new thing, even those intermediate r4 tyres are carving up the winter grass, which is why I used the trailer to run a dozen or so loads through the low and wet part.. Ideally I'll have 2 sets of wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    If you can "bounce" it a bit you may succeed in shock loading or damaging the foundation/frame...
    I loaded it as the pic and then whacked the post a few times with a sledge hammer. Lifted from an eye close to the boom joint rather from the bucket too. The poles came out like they were greased when I tapped them.
    One dilemma I have is whether to make a pin on towing eye for the bucket. For the little garden trailer mentioned above or pushing the limits.. the chipper. It's about 170 kg. What do you think, risky?

tru temper 2-wheeler needing handle, tire patching, and refastening all around, check

F742B649-D8AE-4578-BB84-72B5252B70AA.jpg

garden cart with perpetually flat bicycle tires, check

096D68AD-2001-4DF7-98C9-229612DD8B23.jpg

wood handled 4cf wheelbarrow needing new handle and refastening, check

F315FE94-FF89-4192-9CB4-B19F99C5F0CD.jpg

radio flyer squash truck, check

8E5653C4-5013-433B-8808-44AE979EC6F9.jpg

I put a solid foam tire on my big wheelbarrow about 10 years ago. It’s been great. But it’s in a thorny environ.

I like the radio flyer.
    I have a pallet truck you can ride like one of those, but it isn't all terrain. Nuisance.

yes, my new all steel barrow has, unfortunately, a pneumatic tire. i will upgrade down the line if the frame is holding up as hoped.

Got my first flat in the tractor the other day, fortunately the unit comes equipped with its own hydraulic jacks. Dropped the tyre off for repair , country went into lockdown that night , got the wheel back next am by the skin of my teeth and a contact less delivery by the repair guys. Saved my little donkey.

Project for the last couple of weeks had a side effect, when you sight down past the plum tree that the birds harvest through the manky dieing grape vine planted in the wrong place there emerges a little sight line of blue water with an islet init.
    20210820_091339.jpg