Thread: Towing question - stowing spars, oars, etc.

Default Towing question - stowing spars, oars, etc.

When I built my dinghy, I had seen a picture of someone who had built a rack for their spars and oars. Seemed like a good idea so I built one. I have used it ever since with the exception of the mast (wont fit with sail still laced to it - lacing really added a bunch of time). It does add a bit of time in setup/takedown using the rack. Seems like I could just wrap everything up in a piece of canvas and stap it to the middle thwart and be off. That is what I now do with the mast, slip it in a sack (not sure where I even got it) with the sail still laced to it and tie to the thwart. I carry my daggerboard and rudder in the back of the SUV along with my plastic bin filled with goodies. Oh, yeah. Everything will fit inside the boat lying across the thwarts. The front and rear seats are built over flotation chambers so can't run any lines under them. Suggestions, your method of stowing?

build158.jpg
    Last edited by dalekidd; 05-19-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Default Re: Towing question - stowing spars, oars, etc.

What you're doing is fine. If you feel a need to really strap down the mast and sail, add a few small hooks to attach bungee cords to.

Keep it simple, and go sailing.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Agreed. With my 17' dory, I wrap the sails around the spars, wrap the sheet around the bundle, and put the cover on the boat.

Oars wrapped in pieces of old cotton canvas and stored under the thwarts. Masts and spars wrapped / rolled up and in long bags if they'll fit on the thwarts, in ply support brackets if too long for the boat. Benefit is that the mast on these supports also provides a ridgeline for a Sunbrella boat cover, perfect for storage and towing. Sand and revarnish as needed, but none of my boats have a piano finish...

Don't like the rack idea at all, seems way too fiddly, plus you can't climb into the boat for any reason while towing / traveling -- you've got a lovely fence keeping you out.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

My brother made himself a bag out of sunbrella I believe. It has pockets for the oarlocks, tiller, a few belaying pins etc. He sewed in buckles to close it up and keep all secure. It's for his Shellback. I'll send him this way, maybe he's got an image and some insight.
    Andrew?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Keep it simple, and go sailing.
    You’re right. That’s the idea. Taking time off the front end and back end makes it much more enticing to go sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Don't like the rack idea at all, seems way too fiddly, plus you can't climb into the boat for any reason while towing / traveling -- you've got a lovely fence keeping you out.
    fortunately I’m able to keep the boat in my garage. Never had the need to get inside while traveling. It’s small enough I can reach everything easily. But you’re right, I’ve lost any enthusiasm I had for the rack. Thought it was a good idea but it is way too fiddly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    My brother made himself a bag out of sunbrella I believe. It has pockets for the oarlocks, tiller, a few belaying pins etc. He sewed in buckles to close it up and keep all secure. It's for his Shellback. I'll send him this way, maybe he's got an image and some insight.
    Andrew?
    thanks. That would be great.

I leave the sails hanked on and all lines in place. All spars fit inside the boat, so all I have to do is secure the bundle with a strap and a bungee. The dagger board and rudder go under the thwart, wedged in place with the boat cushions. The oars are tucked up forward with a fat twist-tie thing holding them in place. Set up and break down time can't be too short for me. Pictured here is the Redmond Whisp. But I carry the same idea to Terrapin, my CLC Autumn Leaves.

Whisp stowage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Woxbox; 05-20-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    -Dave

I store all my spars in bags and tie them down to the benches...
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Spent a few minutes rearranging the dinghy. Spars and oars are bundled with the sail laced on and covered with the old bag I have. I also went ahead and attached the sprit to the sail with the snotter attached, all things I used to do at the ramp which took precious time. I believe I can refine the process even more. Get a few bungees etc.

IMG_4257.jpgIMG_4258.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's how it works for me. To protect it from dirt I envelop it in a sun umbrella cover and to prevent it from rubbing on wood I pad it with fenders. And keeping it tight to the hull with ropes, not with bungees