Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing Off Republicans

Default Killing Off Republicans

The death rate from Covid is approximately 9X higher among the unvaccinated, 5.8/100K versus 0.65, figures from about a month ago (source).

Vaccination rate correlates very strongly with political affiliation, and is getting increasingly so. Latest data shows that an unvaccinated person is about 4X as likely to identify as a Republican, and the ratio is increasing. (Data here)

Death rates from Covid are now quite dramatically higher in counties that voted for Trump in 2020 Source for the chart is here.

Covid deaths are now running at about 3000 per day in the US. I don't have accurate numbers for how many of those are Republicans, but I'd bet it's in the range of 3/4. That's a lot fewer Republican voters. Now before you put on your 'Let's Go Darwin' T-shirt, this is not the way I'd prefer my party to win elections. Every one of those deaths is the cause of a lot of suffering, every one has a wife or husband or children or parents or friends. But there are 27 Republicans in the House who won the 2020 election by less that 25,000 votes, and there were some very close Senate races as well (data here). Dead people don't vote.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 01-24-2022 at 02:28 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Default Re: Killing Off Republicans

*I've heard* they do in Chicago....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

oh well. Iím afraid the mortality rate isnít significant enough to change beliefs but I havenít conductd a survey.

Years ago I saw this bumper sticker:

Frontal lobotomies for Republicans... it's the law!
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Like Sky Blue said, it’s those co-morbidities that are the problem.

Just another fact that doesn't matter.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Nice thread title, no wonder democrats are doing so bad.

FREEDOM!.....make your choice, live with the consequences.
    as sad and unfortunate and grim as that may be. I agree....this is not the way I want my party to win elections.

It's easy to say they deserve it, and I have said it myself, but a lot of these people are just foolish, uninformed individuals who are told they are thinking when they are not. I honestly feel sorry for many of them.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Accurate woodpile, they are killing themselves off. Mass suicide by pig headedness?

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Nice thread title, no wonder democrats are doing so bad.
    Hey it’s Trump’s own supporters that booed him for his half assed recomendation for vaccine boosters. No one is keeping old, white Trump supporters from getting vaccinated.

Nice thread title, no wonder Democrats are doing so bad.
    For the purposes of this thread, I am making no judgements, merely presenting the facts. The death rate from Covid is 9X higher if you haven't been vaccinated. Covid is indeed killing off Republicans at a much higher rate than Democrats, because far fewer Republicans are vaccinated. That is an undeniable fact, whether you like it or not. Whether it will it be enough to shift election results remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 01-24-2022 at 02:53 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

And it’s not like the Rs are suffering their comorbid fate at the hands of the Ds. They’re basically suiciding by stubborness. That’ll show the Grim Reaper!
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

I'm pretty sure that most intelligent republican strategists ( I know...I know...) know what's going on. Actually I should have written "Trump-alligned" strategists....not Trump himself, he's way too stupid to understand the implications. Anyway, they've done the calculations and come to the conclusion that the difference in death rates does not significantly impact election results.

I think they're right. I mean, look at your graphs. In the unvaccinated, 6 people die per 100,000 people in a week. If four of those are Trump supporters then lets' scale up from there. Four per week X 52 weeks in a year is 208 Trump people dead in a year.

In a relatively rural county with 300,000 people in it, that 600 voters dead. But Trump won most of those kinds of counties by huge margins of thousands of people. 600 dead doesn't matter. In states where republicans won congressional seats by 25,000 - 30,000 votes, this still doesn't change the total. It does, however, make things a lot closer!

Now, if that death rate increases, to say... eight or nine dead per 100,000 in a week, and stays there.... and of those 8-9, 7 are Trump supporters, then give it two years THAT would make a big difference. Hopefully that won't happen, 'cause this is not how I want my party to win elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    The death rate from Covid is approximately 9X higher among the unvaccinated, 5.8/100K versus 0.65, figures from about a month ago (source).

Vaccination rate correlates very strongly with political affiliation, and is getting increasingly so. Latest data shows that an unvaccinated person is about 4X as likely to identify as a Republican, and the ratio is increasing. (Data here)

Death rates from Covid are now quite dramatically higher in counties that voted for Trump in 2020 Source for the chart is here.

I believe there was an NPR investigation posted here a few weeks ago that indicated that Republicans were 3x more likely to die than Democrats of COVID. I wonder if that ratio still stands - I would imagine with vaccine hesitancy (obstinacy?) that the numbers continue to be similar.

More accurately, the title should probably be, "Republicans, Evangelical Christians, and others playing Russian roulette with their lives." Self-inflicted, really.

Covid deaths are now running at about 3000 per day in the US. I don't have accurate numbers for how many of those are Republicans, but I'd bet it's in the range of 3/4. That's a lot fewer Republican voters. Now before you put on your 'Let's Go Darwin' T-shirt, this is not the way I'd prefer my party to win elections. Every one of those deaths is the cause of a lot of suffering, every one has a wife or husband or children or parents or friends. But there are 27 Republicans in the House who won the 2020 election by less that 25,000 votes, and there were some very close Senate races as well (data here). Dead people don't vote.
    With Republicans, can you really be certain?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

That's ol' woodie, just trying to get a jab in.

Ignore is best.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

And just about 45% of Blacks have had only 1 shot and 38% have had both jabs. So isn't COVID hurt the black community?

Not sure if it is impacting the Republican Party that much - there is about a 12% difference in the vaccination rate between Democrats and Republican. Since Blacks seem to vote in larger numbers for the Democrat, wouldn't that mitigate any voting differences between parties?

I've seen 6X and 12X higher; who knows - except - it's consistently a higher number.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    And what about...
    What? Trolling the other thread not working for you?

A true one trick pony

But what about the black community, but what about the flu, but what about ebola, but what about escalator deaths, but what about that dog that died in outer space.

Yep. One trick pony.

Didn't you vote for the guy who suggested drinking bleach? If so, you can't complain, can you.
    We can talk further when you know what you are talking about. Till then, Live your best life!

Yannow what’s morbidly funny? Except for the dog in space, the applicable ratios for the morbidity categories in the above post probably hold. More Rs prolly die in escalator accidents than Ds, too.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    And just about 45% of Blacks have had only 1 shot and 38% have had both jabs. So isn't COVID hurt the black community?

Not sure if it is impacting the Republican Party that much - there is about a 12% difference in the vaccination rate between Democrats and Republican. Since Blacks seem to vote in larger numbers for the Democrat, wouldn't that mitigate any voting differences between parties?
    Another reason to not be a black Republican?

That's fascinating - .. has left woodie and boatbum speechless!

That's a two-trick pony.

Saw this - rather disrupts *someone's* 'arguments'....

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...ace-ethnicity/
    As of this week, federal data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that 74.4% of the total population in the United States have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. While vaccination coverage has increased, it remains uneven across the country. Amid the current Omicron variant-related surge, unvaccinated people are at particularly increased risk for infection, severe illness, and death. As of January 10, 2022, White people accounted for the largest share (65%) of people who are unvaccinated.1 Over the course of the vaccination rollout, Black and Hispanic people have been less likely than their White counterparts to receive a vaccine, but these disparities have narrowed over time, particularly for Hispanic people. With booster shot eligibility expanded to all individuals ages 12 and older and children ages 5-11 eligible for vaccination, ensuring equity in the uptake of booster shots and vaccinations among children is also important. However, to date, limited data are available to examine disparities among booster shot recipients and children.

This data note presents federal data on COVID-19 vaccinations by race/ethnicity and race/ethnicity of booster shot recipients ages 65 and older, and state reported data by race/ethnicity on COVID-19 vaccinations, COVID-19 vaccinations among children, and booster shot recipients, where available.

Covid deaths are now running at about 3000 per day in the US. I don't have accurate numbers for how many of those are Republicans, but I'd bet it's in the range of 3/4. That's a lot fewer Republican voters.
    It's nothing a little voter suppression can't fix, surely.

Maybe this is why the GOP is turning to authoritarianism, the math is turning against them.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Maybe this is why the GOP is turning to authoritarianism, the math is turning against them.
    The math has been turning for some time.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

But, if you look past the title to the data that was presented, it looks like democrats are doing better than republicans.

Don't you think?
    So in your vast knowledge you know mostly republicans are dying from covid, like you really know the political preferences of all that have died, yea, right, kill em all, they don't agree with us.

So in your vast knowledge you know mostly republicans are dying from covid, like you really know the political preferences of all that have died, yea, right, kill em all, they don't agree with us.
    You're being silly. Yes, given the undeniable facts, it's a very good bet that Republicans are dying of Covid at a much higher rate than Democrats, because far more of them are not getting vaccinated, and the non-vaccinated are dying at 9 or 10 times the rate of the vaccinated. Did you ignore all the data I posted, or did you just not understand it?

But let's look at an individual Congressional district. In Texas District 24, suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth, Beth Van Duyne (R) defeated Candace Valenzuela (D). 344K votes total, margin 4,584, population 832.5K, a very close election as things go, a margin of 1.3%. The current Covid death rate for TX is about 125/day, or about .43/100K per day. (Source) Assuming District 24 is about average (big guess), they'd lose about 3.6 people per day, and if that continues until election day (another wild guess), about 1100 people would die, not enough to tip even that relatively close election.

My guess, after looking at the numbers in a bit more detail, is that the total number of deaths is probably too small to make much difference in all but the very closest elections.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 01-24-2022 at 04:40 PM.

Richard Feynman

-William A. Ward

NPR? Woodie won't believe that…………...

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    NPR? Woodie won't believe that…………...
    That's just too bad.
    -William A. Ward

My guess, after looking at the numbers in a bit more detail, is that the total number of deaths is probably too small to make much difference in all but the very closest elections.
    And there is the possibility that changes in the voting laws will affect the outcome at least as much.

Either way, pandemic or voter suppression, is a poor way to try to win an election.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    That's the source of the second graph in my first post.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    FREEDOM!.....make your choice, live with the consequences.
    as sad and unfortunate and grim as that may be. I agree....this is not the way I want my party to win elections.
    The consequences? You infected your mother and she died, or you infected a neighbor who took it home to his 3 year old.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND