Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good chance I'm about to buy my first sailboat

Default Re: Good chance I'm about to buy my first sailboat

I did not read the OP as someone wanting a project, eg replacing rigging, fixing out interior, but as someone wanting to learn to sail. Taking on much if a project at all us a slow way to learn to sail.

There's a bit of talk about the Catalina 22. The C22 is a really nice boat, and it assuredly sails better and faster than the A23, but the A23 is commodious by comparison. It really depends on the priorities of Sleek, here. I'm 6'2" and I always wanted a C22 but I couldn't live on it for a month. I could do that in a A23.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Aside from everything else. I'd look at the [lack of] title. Yard should have exercised a mechanics' lien against the vessel and taken title to it. Without that, they can't sell it: it still belongs to the registered owner.

Under North Carolina law, this is not an abandoned vessel: https://marinedebris.noaa.gov/sites/...5_NOAA_MDP.pdf

https://vannattorneys.com/possessory...and-materials/

Here's the pertinent statutes in North Carolina: https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegisla.../Article_1.pdf

If the yard hasn't jumped through those hoops, you could wind up out the $600 and the vessel.
    I'm with Nick. Buy something with a title.

Gentlemen, thank you all very graciously for all the input.Here is what I found out while looking at it.

I inspected the trailer first, cause thats a no brainer. I had made up my mind before hand on things I'd allow and what are deal breakers. If I can't trailer it, its a no go.

So, the trailer, bald tires, missing lug nuts, rusted through leaf spring hardware, one bunk was held on with a .15" metal strap thats replacing the bolt that should be there, the a els are very pitted, the frame has a hole rusted in it, several metal patches welded on to keep it together, and of course, no lights.

The boat: Its transom has a hole busted through the glass where the motor mount clamp tightens onto the transom. The aft deck is fine, the rudder needs rebuilt. The washers that are part of the ( forgive my ignorance in nomenclature ) stay lines that support the mast, they are dished out from what appears to be over torque. Their is a full assortment of sails, main sheet, storm jib, and 2 others that i didn't look at.. They all have rust stains, but one got chewed in a few spots by a rat. The interion seemed solid and not moldy,, but slightly musty. The cushions were all in fair shape. The head is disassembled. The overhead cabin roof/deck is VERY soft, and the glass has delaminated severely underneath the deck. Id need to cut the entire cabin off and redo it with wood. I'm uncertain of the ( mast partner? ) area where the mast attaches because its part of the bulkhead for the head. The trunk for the keel seemed OK but looked to have glass work done in the past. The exterior of the hull was in fine shape, no dings or gouges.

I told him what I saw, he hadn't been aboard as he is missing a leg, and told him none of this was encouraging. I said I wasn't expecting one in great shape, but this may be more expensive than a free boat. He said he would take 400 instead of 600. I told him I was going to sleep on it and report in the morning.

Honestly guys, I don't mind a project, I really don't. But the idea of such a bad trailer, couples with a bill of sale, and the amount of work I'd do, vs the return im going to get from it, vs time and money invested, im not getting excited.

So I asked my wife. I said babe, what are our expectations in usage for a boat. She wants to explore areas, and fish. Have a cabin to prepare and eat in. I told her this boat only checks one of those boxes well. She sId she only wants to try sailing because she knows I want too so badly. I said I can rig my kayak for a sail if I need to go that badly.

I think we are going a different route. We need for maximum usage of our investment, a good fishing boat with a cabin that can go out of sight of shore. I still will get a sailboat, but it will be a smaller one, that won't be such a devotion to a project we will never fully use to its potential. The sailboat that would fit us is one that's good for an afternoon of sailing in fair weather, and thats about it. Something thats fast to set up and tolerate of mistakes. Somethingthat holds 3 people comfortable. I have in mind a cat boat perhaps?

Again, thanks for the input everyone!

I still will get a sailboat, but it will be a smaller one, that won't be such a devotion to a project we will never fully use to its potential. The sailboat that would fit us is one that's good for an afternoon of sailing in fair weather, and thats about it. Something thats fast to set up and tolerate of mistakes. Somethingthat holds 3 people comfortable. I have in mind a cat boat perhaps?
    Well, in the size and price range you're dabbling in, the decision is whether to consider 'wet and wild', versus 'sedate and dry'. At around 22 feet, with at least some form of livable cabin, you can get 'sedate and dry', in a boat that you NEVER expect to capsize or lay over, and with enough size to venture out in very slightly rougher waters.... although no 22 foot boat, in my opinion, deserves to be in unprotected waters, unless it's highly specialized for the task.

Below 22 feet, you're getting closer to 'wet and wild', i.e., a sport sailboat intended for exhilarating sailing, with no cabin worthy of the name (except for storage), and the likelihood of getting wet when the wind pipes up and things begin to splash.

The latter category is really for the more adventurous, and, at least for me, only fun when the sun is shining and it's 85 degrees out.

On the other hand, a 22 footer can be a fine vessel, anchored in a protected cove, on a foggy day, with some chowder heating on the alcohol stove, and perhaps a little brandy to warm body and soul. The Catalina 22, or boats like it, are good examples of boats that can be sailed lively... but also are 'livable'.

An alternative: ask Joe(SoCal) for links to his videos of the catboat he was a partner in... damned if I can remember the name.

Edited to add: I remembered... 'TidBit'.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Hit the eject button. If you're serious, there are tons of decent cheap used boats out there.

Start by creating a list of all the things you want in a boat.

Then prioritize your list.

Then make a 3-part budget. Part A = purchase price. Part B = estimated refurbishing costs. Part C = contingency fund.

With that list & budget, you could get some very well-targeted expert advice here.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Per you post Sleek - run, don't walk away from this boat! Even free would be too much.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The trailer would make it a no go alone. That trailer will cost the better part of a grand to make it safe to move even if you can do the work yourself.

Thanks everyone. Love the advice.

Yeah, I think you're definitely doing the right thing. Some boats just aren't worth the trouble, no matter how cheap, unless it's exactly what you want and you're willing to put in the time and effort and money. This one sure doesn't seem like that. It isn't even very pretty, IMHO.

Norm's a big boat guy. There's a lot of territory between 'wet and wild' (a Laser, a C-scow) and a small keelboat with a cabin. There are quite a few relatively comfortable and dry unballasted centerboard boats with real seats and a small cuddy to keep your gear dry - easy to trailer, easy to launch, easy to sail.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 04-30-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

For what you would spend getting that trailer and boat up to sail away spec.. you would be better off getting this O'day.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83404
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Sounds good! If you're going to have a bigger power boat for fishing etc. then I reckon just a simple sailing dinghy would suit you perfectly. There are thousands .....

A Mirror!

Rick

Between the rudder rebuild (which for others here is a plug type rudder that fits into a cavity in the aft cockpit, a though-hull design, if you will) and the super soft upper decks which support the mast, I would walk away from the boat. The bad trailer seals the decision.

There are lots of boats out there. There will be even more boats later this summer/early fall. Deals will be had.