Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A new way of running Boatyard during this present situation and beyond

Cool A new way of running Boatyard during this present situation and beyond

Hi fellow forum members,

Because my other threads have been either hacked or have bugs in them. I am starting this new thread to keep my fellow forum members up to date with my work.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: A new way of running Boatyard during this present situation and beyond

define hacked and bugs ?

Default Re: A new way of running Boatyard during this present situation and beyond

Hi Wizbang 13,

At the end of last week I put a post on my threads and after this happened the 2 threads with not open on the last page of each of the threads, all the other pages will open as normal,m however, the last page on each thread will not open, so there is something wrong on the last page of my threads, what I do not know. But it is pissing me off as this is not the first time my threads have this done to them.

Regards
    Simon

Hi Fellow forum members,

A new week at the boatyard and a new set of challenges ahead, So it going to be fun getting the jobs done, Got to finish off the chain locker bulkhead glassing in on the Cornish Crabber refit and get the base of it fitted and glassed in after the forward side of the bulkhead and then get the deck beams fitted in position and sort out the fourth deck beam so that can befitted later in the week. The other job is reinstating the gutter on the starboard cockpit which was cut away when the locker was used as a gas bottle locker. this owner is going to have a diesel cooker and heating and so this locker is going to be ice box during this refit. then get on with the camper Van repairs.

Thanks for carrying on and giving us a look. Cheers.

Having made up a length of dowel to press the moulding clay round the it was ready to gelcoat the moulding clay, so that I can start to lay up the missing CSM from the area.

Having made up the two side rails for the main hatch to slide on it was time to dry fix in position so that the rest of the main hatch sliding rails can be made up and the cross rail can be fitted

Thecross part as to be made up and fitted in the gap between the fore and aft rails

A short video of the hatch sliding along its new rails

The sliding hatch rails now dry fitted to ensure the hatch rails are in the correct position so that the rails can now be bolted down

The hatch now closed

Then opened to ensure it is running well along the slots in the rails

The hatch is now running level along the rails

The posting wonkiness is not personal or malicious, it’s happening to a lot of us. Thanks for your project posts.

It is just a pain after all tjhe work I have put into doing the thread and then not being able to keep putting updates on the thread

The Kon Tiki camper van repairs now finished and looking like a new camper van,

Just needs a good cleaning to let the new colour blend in to the rest of the camper van colour

One of the last major jobs on getting the superstructure of the Morgan Giles watertight

When these windows came out they were in a very poor condition, the owner dismantled the windows and resealed the glass in the frames and then returned them to fit them and now they are ready to have whatever weather and sea this yacht is going to see in the future

Cleaning off the back of the toe rail so that the bonding agent will stick to the toe rail and so making a good bond between the toe rail and the deck

Along way to go and the removal of the old sealant and oxidised surface on the underside of the toe rail

30 ft of toe rail a bit of cleaning job

Half way along so I am getting there

When it is all clean and ready to fit then it will be time to cover the under side of the toe rail with this bonding agent andbolt the toe rail down with this bonding agent and a good amount of sealant to make a good seal between the surfaces

At last the major deck job is underway with the refitting of the toe rails which will be the thing that finally fixes the deck to the hull

The major job with the refitting the toe rails was the fitting over the new chain plates which were made to come up through the deck and then through the toe rails which had slots cut in the toe rails fit them in the correct position.

This photo shows the position of the chain plates and that them are flush against the inside face of the upstand part of the toe rail.

The final part of the toe rail getting pulled into position with a length of rope .

The finally finished off and now just need to run a bead of sealant along the bottom edge of the toe rail to finish off the job and clean off the excess sealant from the deck.

The port side toe rail now fitted and now just needs the excess sealant removed and the lower edge sealant bead applying to finish off the job

The view along the deck

The major damage removed from the toe rail a small amount of a kink in the toe rail, however the worse of the damage is remove

Looking better now they are both on the deck and the deck to hull joint finally bolted down with two sets of fixings

bouncing back from the Covid 19 situation and getting back on my feet again.

The wide of marine range of services which J-Star Marine Services offer from their workshop and boatyard

Be it doing the filling and fairing hull ready to spray and spraying the hull.

We can work on traditional clinker dinghies ,be it a new build or repairs, our experienced craftsman has over forty years in the marine industry and also other types of traditional craft

We also mould our own range of 8 ft. dinghies with individual fitting out trim requirements

This coming couple of weeks is going to a bit of me time, to get on with my boat as I now in a position to be able to to do just that and get my boat back where she belongs on the water.

This coming week, I will make a start the second major refit of Mai Star II with getting rid of the damaged deck beam along the front cabin and then make a camber jig to make new deck beams, which will made up out of laminated hardwood to strengthen the deck around the mast. This should ensure the deck beams do not break again. Then making a job list to get the jobs done a proper order. That way not doing jobs more than once.

So the only way is to strip it back to strip off the decks and cabin roof, back to where she was when I first bought her back in 2008. This time I have an couple of people helping me do the refit.

Job No 1

Strip the boat back to bare bones and then list the work that needs to be done starting at the bow and working back and from cabin roof to keel. This job is going to be long as there are a lot of small jobs which have to be done in order to get some of the major jobs done. So there is going to be a lot of dismantling before there is any reconstruction done. So for the first few weeks there is a lot of hammer and cutting work to be done.

That is Plan A

The wooden speed boat is now ready to have its final flatting off before its mid blue top coatsA lot better condition from when I started on it before Christmas Once this part of the job is finished then the boat will be turned over back on to its keel and the rest of the job can be started and finally finished off and re-launched for the owner to enjoy his days blasting around the local area once more

The wooden speed boat is now ready to have its final flatting off before its mid blue top coats

A lot better condition from when I started on it before Christmas

Once this part of the job is finished then the boat will be turned over back on to its keel and the rest of the job can be started and finally finished off and re-launched for the owner to enjoy his days blasting around the local area once more

Some or the old parts that have come out of the front of Mai Star II

One of the bulkheads which was under the deck where the two deck beams broke and the broken ends of the beams and the carlins from around the foredeck hatch

This end was still intact where as the other end split

This end broke under the pressure of the mast being lowered

The port side side deck now uncovered as far as the cockpit and more rotten wood find under the side deck

Next job is to tackle the aft deck before going up the starboard side deck back to the front of the cabin

Then support the cabin front and raise it back up to its original position and start the rebuild of the deck from there once the new deck beams are made and fitted again the gunwale repairs are done.

Get finally get this dinghy finished and launched and being used

Move this yacht into the workshop and get on with it over the next few months

An overview of the deck area of the boat and the amount of work needed on the deck

The cockpit is in need of a lot of work as well

The first job is to clear loose items out of the cockpit so we can see the scale of the job ahead

This area and the same on the starboard side are the major areas of rebuilding needed on the boat apart from the cockpit coamings and the rebuilding of the interiobr />

The hull needs work but no where as much as the other parts of the boat.

A view through one of the portholes in the cabin over looking the deck as it is now the next time the view will be every different with a new foredeck

A look around the cabin as it is now, do it is a reference for later

This week has been a mixed bag of a number of jobs around the yard and workshop. Many of the jobs had been put off for a number of reasons. However, with a large amount of help from a former employee and friend. I was able to make order of the workshop and sort out the different work stations around the workshop to make them easier to use and more efficient with the space. Therefore cutting down any down time in working at any work station around the workshop to a minimum.

This is an ongoing project as it can not be done all at once, but as money and time become available. The largest step this week was to sort out the workshop and the shelves which are used for storage of clients boat parts while the boats are being worked on in the workshop or out in the yard. It was amazing to see how with a small amount of clear thinking and throwing out rubbish and putting things aside for future Boat jumbles the shelves soon became clearer.

Next week it will the turn of the yard to get the same treatment a small bit at a time until the whole yard looks cleaner and a good place to work.

There are a list of jobs that need doing, however, with time and patience I will get there.
    Then it will be time to do some boat movements and get on with the next group of projects as the year progresses and we all come out of this Covid 19 situation and back to a more normal life.

Setting out the plank of Iroko to put through the benchsaw to cut down to 6mm strips and then glue on to the deck beam jig The deck beam jig from last time just need to bolt the blocks back on to the deck beam jig, then we will be ready to go While they are being made it will give us time to reglass in the centreboard case While that is being done lightly girt blast the centreboard Soon be time to move out of its small workshop into the main workshop once the Morgan Giles 30 comes out

Setting out the plank of Iroko to put through the benchsaw to cut down to 6mm strips and then glue on to the deck beam jig

The deck beam jig from last time just need to bolt the blocks back on to the deck beam jig, then we will be ready to go

While they are being made it will give us time to reglass in the centreboard case

While that is being done lightly girt blast the centreboard

Soon be time to move out of its small workshop into the main workshop once the Morgan Giles 30 comes out

The plank is now getting cut down into its smaller strips ready to go through thicknesser

A few more runs through the bench saw

Then on to the thicknesser and the to the jig to get clamped together

Dry run to make sure the blocks in the correct position

Sorting out the clamp position and number needed to do the job

Plastic sheet to stop the glue stick the beam to the jig

Glued up and now left tocure over night

A new tool to make working on the bench saw and any other machine that needs the wood supporting while going through the machine

A new tool to help putting wood through the thicknesser and wood cut on the bench saw, it will makelife a lot easier to cut and shape larger pieces of wood

Gluing up new deck beams for the Cornish Crabber so we can get ahead with the refit of the foredeck and cabin of the boat.

Thecentreboard case already to go back in the boat once the hull part of the grinding is done and the centreboard case can be glassed back into position.

The plate needs a light girt blasting and then repainting before its installation

TheMai Star Class dinghy is getting a fresh coat of marine varnish.

The dinghy mould is ready to get its hull laid up in the mould

A small rib in for a repair to its rib bottom which was damaged the last time it was out on the water

Firstjob is to cut an inspection hatch in the top of the rigid bottom so that it can be repaired from the inside

The engine in need of servicing while at the yard

The repair needed to the bottom

The repair before it was started on at the beginning of the week

The hole was repair by re-gelcoating the hole in the hull and then relaying the matting back to the original spec

A new watertight inspection hatch fitted should it be necessary to get under the floor in the future

A coat of underwater primer to seal the surface of the hull before antifouling the bottom with hard powerboat antifoul paint

Setting out the area which needs to be re-enforced to take the weight heavy centreboard which damaged the centreboard case

First job is to clean up the area around the centreboard pivot and then fix the new pads to thecentreboard case and then glass over thepads to make them part of the centreboard case

The new pivot bearing which will be fitted to the centreboard once the pads are glassed into position

The marine plywood pads being glued together to make them the correct size to fit the new bearing into once these are glassed on to the case

This photo is of the fore peak of the yacht, On the port side it was inspected and find that all but one of the ribs and and two of the frame needs renewing. The ribs were either doubled or tripled up because of damage she had earlier in her life. The frames are either broken of rotten at the top .

Down both side decks the half beams between the beam shelf and the carlins have been removed and marked up from the position they came out starting from the stem back as far as the aft cabin bulkhead. The the carlins and the infills around the cockpit have been removed and marked up in the same manner.

One of the frame tops that as seen better days and will be removed and replaced with a new piece of oak as it was originally build with back in 1939.

The start as been started on the port side as it is the easier side to start on and is the side with the most damage as much of the starboard side appears to have faired better over the years. However, as my former apprentice and myself start to get to grips with this project we are sure to find more problems to solve along the way. We think it is going to take at lease 18 months to complete the project and get her back into sailing condition once more. However, as the project progresses the will be updates as we going along over the coming months.

Hi Folks,

This coming week it is going to be a spilt between the Cornish Crabber restoration and Mai Star II's restoration. The Cornish Crabber restoration is starting to put items back together, such as the deck beams and the centreboard case. The main part to get refitted to move the crabber project ahead is the re-instating of the centreboard case as all the other interior fixtures and fittings are based off its position in the boat. So until it is fitted back in the boat the project can not go ahead. So the main job on the boat this coming week will be the re-glassing in of the case after grinding back hull in the bottom of boat where the centreboard was cut out by a previous owner who was going to change the boat into a shallow draft fixed keel yacht. That project as been scrapped by the present owner who wishes to return it back to how it was originally build.

On the Mai Star II restoration project, The start as been made on removing the damaged and broken frames and ribs on the port side forward of the mast position which at sometime in the past as been damaged. The next job in the boat is to take the old interior out and then remove the cabin superstructure off the boat and rebuild the cabin sides and front before refitting after all the deck structure is rebuild and the cabin structure can be refitted on to new deck structure. With the cabin and deck structure out of the way, it easier to sort out the frames and ribs that need replacing without anything the way. This restoration is going to be a keel to cabin top and from stem to stern restoration and replace everything that is in any way sub standard. So that's the plan for the near future.

The side deck half deck beams now out of the boat and labelled up. Keeping these as patterns for the new deck beams

Looking a bit worse for weather, however, they have been in place for over 70 years, so they done their job.

They were half dovetailed into the carlin and the top of the beam shelf.

All the dovetails were different, however, when they go back in they will be either the same as each other or as close to it as possible

One of the frame nails that came out of the boat, this is the worse nail, However, seeing as this is going to be a major restoration of the boat, there is going to be a drawing of a number of other frame nails to see if it is the same all over the hull.

Marking out and masking up the new varnished gunwales and sheer strake

Cutting the first part of the socket for the rowlock plate to sit in

The first of the two plates fitted

The first rowlock now fitted, just the second rowlock to fit and then just the bow ring to fit on the top of the stem

As part of the restoration of Mai Star II, the Mai Star Class is getting finished off so that it will be ready for Mai Star II relaunch.Now the rowlocks and other deck fittings are being fitted. The Centreboard bolt as been fitted and the centreboard case is getting its capping and then the centreboard will be fitted and the pin fitted to keep the plate up while the dinghy is transported to the water. Also have to get the wood for the spars and make a start on making the spars for the dinghy. So I the meantime it is a matter of getting on with a few jobs on Mai Star II hull and the frames and ribs.