Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new Argie 15 in a time of Covid-19

Default Re: A new Argie 15 in a time of Covid-19

While I am on a roll.... More recent progress.

I struggled to decide if I should sheath the whole hull. On the one hand I suspect I don't have perfect marine plywood and it might benefit from some reinforcing and protection. On the other hand I don't want to add unnecessary weight.
    The solution to indecision: compromise. I decided to sheath only the bottom and approx. 100 mm up the sides.

I was quite chuffed with the result. No bubbles. (White patches are where I started to experiment with fairing.)

IMG_20210605_122917_HullSheath01_Red.jpg

IMG_20210605_134547_HullSheath02_Red.jpg
    Last edited by JanB; 07-20-2021 at 02:30 AM.

Some advice, please:

I bought a stack of balau wood posts a while back. Balau is a tough Malaysian wood that is commonly used for decking (buildings, not boats) because it is hard wearing and does not need any coating (when used for domestic decking). I have already made the skeg and runners from this. I want to use it for the gunwhales as well. The challenge that the posts are short - only about 1 to 1,2 m. This means I will have to cut them downs to the 8x40 mm strips as per the plans and then lap them to create longer sections.

The question now is do I join them up to create straight sections, or do I laminate them along the curve of the top panels?

1. I suspect if I make them straight and full length, they will be too stiff to fix to the hull.
    2. On the other hand laminating them in-situ I may struggle to keep the curve smooth in plan as the hull will bend slightly more at the joints between the short sections.

Typing it out now makes me think that 2. is the best solution. Just lap them properly and use lots of clamps.

Comments, please!

I would go with option 2. I've long since filed (mislaid) my plans so I'm going from memory. 8x40mm seems a little large in the vertical plane and will be harder to bend and follow the curve of the gunwale. Mine were approximately 6x30mm and I scarfed the shorter lengths in place, overlapping the joints to add strength.
    Your boat is looking good. Keep up the good work and keep sending pics.

Thanks Roy,
    The plans do show 4x 8x40. I will experiment a bit. I do plan to put one strip on the inside to provide more "beef" to round off the edge. Maybe even a thin strip on top of the plywood edge for aesthetics and protection.

Screenshot_20210720_213233.png

Daggerboard slot cut. (Four weeks ago.)

IMG_20210619_123237_DaggerSlot_Red.jpg

Marking out the runners' position. I am glad I left the original centre line marking on the bottom panel.

IMG_20210619_120503_Runners_Red.jpg

Sometimes you need to work upside down. I added a base for the main sheet swivel. Not sure how else to get a sturdy fix. I guess if you can get the screws to only go into the runner below it will be OK, but the runners are too narrow.
    IMG_20210710_162103_SwivelBase_Red.jpg

Runners done. Also some tape over the mast head fixing screws.
    IMG_20210710_162224_Runners_Red.jpg

I need to hide my old boots when taking pictures for public consumption!

OK, I am excited. Probably not a major milestone, but I put on the first layer of undercoat on the bottom. It looks better than expected. There are a few spots I will sand and fare, but nothing major. It looks great from 5 m away.

IMG_20210731_122553_Verf02_Red.jpg

Same view of the boat, but with the apprentice in the background. Suitably out of focus. It suits me.
    IMG_20210731_120135_Verf01_Red.jpg

Looking good!
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thank you WI-Tom,
    A week ago I literally had never heard of Tom Pamperin, but now I am fast becoming a Jagular fan.

Ah, well, your boat far outclasses Jagular (which is the builder's fault, not the design--it's a nice little skiff with lots of flotation, and a decent cheap cruising boat when re-rigged with a balance lugsail). Here's to many happy adventures in your Argie 15!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    ... which is the builder's fault, not the design...
    Don't let him hear you admit that!

Anyway, everything going according to plan (be that travel- or building-) makes for pretty pictures, but not great stories.

Netjiese werk Jan! 5m is die minimum aanvaarbare distansie vir kritiek. Ek volg met entoesiasme.

Dankie Devout!

And now it is blue. Very blue.
    One more coat and I can turn it over for the last time.

I left the 40 mm strip on the sheer clear (apart from the runs - the paint is thinner than the undercoat) to fix the gunwales afterwards. I reckoned it would be easier to fix them afterwards, rather than trying to keep them paint free. I hope it was a good strategy.
    ... Actually I think the main reasoning was that I just wanted to get the bottom done. The boat is getting a bit heavy for the manpower I have readily available at home.

IMG_20210810_201722_Blue_Red.jpg
    Last edited by JanB; 08-11-2021 at 05:27 AM.