Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81718

Thread: An Ilur in Hansville

Default Re: An Ilur in Hansville

Loos good David. Don't worry about the paint too much - 1st time the dog jumps in after being on the beach, or you approach a jetty too fast..................... Main thing I find with paint is to be easily touch up :-)

Launch soon ?

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil, itís like a new car. You want it looking good, but you know itís going to get scratched and nicked as soon as itís used. Iíve already fixed some scratches and the boat hasnít left the shop.
    I got the main deck cut and fitted, but not screwed down yet. I wasnít sure how the two boards that arenít getting screwed down would keep from moving around a bit so I glued on a 4mm thick tab at the front and rear CB trunk positions on the boards. This keeps the space between the board and the CB trunk. I had some other domestic challenges to do before starting on the forward deck. Iím working very slow and rechecking my measurements before cutting and Iím still making mistakes. Iím glad I got a few extra deck boards just in case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I screwed my sole down because I wanted to avoid any possible trip hazards in a sailing dinghy. Inevitably bits and pieces get down there which you find during the half-season cleanout. My motor launch bilges collect massive amounts of dog hair!

Hi Neil, the Ilur sole is screwed down except for the port and stbd planks right next to the center boards case. They can be lifted out for stowage under them. Each Ilur builder finds a way to hold them in place some how. To help keep them from floating to much I glued the 4mm tabs to the planks to keep them from floating next to the CB case.

Another milestone almost complete. The floorboards are down. I still have to decide how Iíll hold down the removable hatch in the forward deck and the removable floorboards next to the centerboard case. Once I do a clean up of the aft deck, side seats, thwarts, and mast partner deck I can oil them all.

Neat and tidy work David. Looks great.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

I had to take a few days off from boat work. When I walked on the floorboards I just wasnít happy about the springiness where the bulkhead spacing was rather wide. I decided that cleats under those spaces would make me feel better and I thought the springiness of the boards would put undo stress on the screws at the ends of those boards. Iíll try getting the floorboards oiled, but the temps may be getting too low to get more than one coat on. Iím also thinking about installing a deck cleat on the bow. I like the idea of having a cleat there, but it also looks a little busy. Once I drill and mount a cleat there thereís no going back. Those deck boards are there to stay and would not be easily replaced.

Very tidy David.
    That bow cleat looks very useful and I was also thinking about doing the same after installing the fairleads and looking at the likely run of the cable etc. Interesting about the spring of the boards. I’m awaiting enough screws to fix enough of mine down to test that.
    For the lifting boards I’ve gone with brass countertop hinges on both fore and aft sections. The fore is complete Andover of the long centre boards. I’ll post some pics later if I get a chance.

Just wondering if the bow cleat and the rod through the stem wouldn't be redundant? Is there a use that I'm not thinking of? No criticism, just curious. I am planning on making some out of black walnut, so wouldn't mind having more to accent with.

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Just be wary, I think the cleat is apt to catch lines like halyard, etc when you don't want them to be fouled. Just be aware of that...I also use cleats this way, but may discontinue the practice if the fouling thing becomes common. The rod through stem head is out of the way enough to not catch lines except when you mean it to!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Just be wary, I think the cleat is apt to catch lines like halyard, etc when you don't want them to be fouled. Just be aware of that...I also use cleats this way, but may discontinue the practice if the fouling thing becomes common. The rod through stem head is out of the way enough to not catch lines except when you mean it to!
    This is a valid point, when throwing lines around in a small boat every protrusion becomes a grappling hook!!

What will a cleat and/or stem pin be used for? Probably for a) keeping hold of the painter when launching and b) attaching lines when mooring or rafting with other boats and occasionally c) holding an anchor rope when anchored.

So, then the question becomes - how many fixtures of which type(s) are required to allow me to do a, b, c? I'd suggest just the one..............................

My tuppenceworth Regards Neil

Lots of good info on the bow cleat. For me, the only reason for the bow cleat is to tie off the bow at a dock and for anchoring. The rod through the stem doesn’t seem very practical and I mainly did it because it’s part of the Ilur design. The Ilur deck is pretty small and a cleat takes up a lot of room. I can see how it could snag lines. Roger Barnes has cleats on the port & stbd inwales just aft of the deck and pointing inboard which he uses as dock tie downs and for anchoring. Maybe that’s the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    Roger Barnes has cleats on the port & stbd inwales just aft of the deck and pointing inboard which he uses as dock tie downs and for anchoring. Maybe that’s the way to go.
    That is along the lines I am thinking of doing on my designs because I don't have the big stem head that Vivier draws and it isn't easy to access the stemhead like inboard cleats would be. The important thing if cleats are inboard is to have bow and stern chocks/fairleads so that the lines can be properly led to the dock.

When I noticed the halyard "foul" on the deck cleat on my customer's CIY16 I said to myself "Cute idea Clint but not practical"...the sea is a great teacher!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

After a few days off I finally was able to get back to boat work. The floorboards and decks are fastened down, but I still need to make some toggles to hold the removable boards and foredeck hatch down. Iím thinking of making the toggles out of 1/8Ē thick x 5/8Ē wide brass. I also have to paint the rear deck hatch frame. I made that frame out of fir and epoxy coated it. Iím not sure what I was thinking about how to finish it. I would either have to varnish it or paint it. Iíve decided to paint it, but now the temps arenít warm enough. Iíll have to figure out a way to do that. The aft deck is hinged, but I just couldnít find a hinge that I liked for the fore deck hatch and for the removable floorboards. I decided to use snagless kayak eyes and arrange lanyards to act as a poor manís hinge. On the floorboards I have an eye strap attached to the Carlin stringer and one on the under side of the board. With a lanyard attached to each eye for and aft I can just lift lift the board and roll it over where it lays flat on the adjacent boards. On the aft deck Iíll use them and lanyards to keep the aft deck from hitting the transom. The foredeck lanyards just have to keep the hatch from getting lost in the capsize. I thought I would try using dyneema as lanyard material because it wonít stiffen up like 1/8Ē cord. I know Iíll have to watch the knots to make sure they donít slip.

YOU want to make sure hinged lids like back aft also have a hold down method so they don't flop up going over the road. I just used a little piece of bungee over a thumb cleat to do that.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Good point Clint. When I made the aft hatch I fit a door/hatch brass latch on each side of the aft hatch. It doesnít have as much holding power as I had hoped but Iíll give it a shot.

Fancy! I'm a bungee and suspenders kind of guy!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Not getting much boat work time. Working on cars, house, furniture, well house, and getting ready for winter. But I did manage to finish the aft deck hatch. I donít know what others have done to prevent the hatch from opening to far, but I decided to attach lanyards to keep it from hitting the transom. I think the latches on each side of the hatch should keep it closed ok. And I made use of the cleat I was going to use on the bow. I think it works here.

Lovely work David - much higher tech than mine - sole and various other hatches stays in place via gravity though the timber is Spotted Gum which is mighty heavy! What I do use sometimes is a shockcord inside the hatch which goes down to a floor level rib and with a snapcatch on it so that I can remove the hatch cover completely when required.
    Your boat is going to be a work of art on the water :-) Have the spars been made? I found spar making required me to learn a completely new set of skills - enjoyed the result though.

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil, I’m definitely slowing done on the build since there’s no rush during the Winter months. I made the mast before I even started the boat because I used the strongback as a platform for the mast build. Making the mast was definitely a challenge for me. I had never used a power plane or even a hand plane before. I still have to make the boom and yard. The other parts I have to make are the centerboard, rudder, and tiller.

Nice work on the lazarette lid David. Those lanyards are a good idea.
    I’ve just assembled mine and was thinking about something to limit travel and avoid a flipping lid. It will be shock cord to keep it closed until I find some latches I like.
    I hate the thought of revisiting major parts of the build but quite like minor pieces like that awaiting more input once she’s functional on the water.
    You’re not far off now!

I admit I was planning on coasting into fall and winter after the long summer work time. But, after Neil got me thinking about the boom and yard I decided to try and get them glued up so I could work on shaping them over the winter. My kit didnít come with birdsmouth for the boom and yard. It came with two main pieces to scarf together and two side cheeks to scarf together and then gluing the side cheeks onto the main piece. Itís almost to cold to epoxy now, but with heaters and tarps I think Iíll be able to get them glued up. To hold down the removable floorboards and the forward hatch I used 1/8Ē x 5/8Ē brass flat bar as toggles. I still need to tidy up the lanyards, but i think theyíll do the job.

Very nice work, I like those lanyards. I feel like a broken record saying "Looks great!", but till you ugly something up you're just stuck with that! It does sound like a great idea to set up things to work on during the colder months up there. It's one of the nice things about these boats, lots of bits and pieces to be done along the way. Are you considering making your own blocks? I've thought that would be fun, maybe out of some walnut that I have as a point of contrast. That's something you could glue up and hide in a closet to cure. Any way, I'll be sorry to see you slow down for the winter, it's been fun to see you making that "summertime progress".

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Nice lanyards David. I'll steal that idea.
    I saw your fore locker and immediately thought 'why didn't I do that instead of two halves?' It looks very tidy and robust.
    Of course I have a mast in the way with the sloop design so that's why I didn't. Ha.

Your spar glue-up looks very tidy. Not far to go now.

Thanks Ken, I can’t say I’ve had any desire to make my own blocks. On some things I tend to leave that to the experts. I’ve sailed in some extreme wind and the less things I have to worry about failing the better.

Hi Wayne, I figure we can use anything that someone else is doing that works for our own boat. I give lots of credit to all those other builders I’ve copied from. I purposely picked the boomed lug rig because it’s the easiest to sail. I had a large boat for a long time and working the sails got to be a chore. This time around and at age 70 I want my sailing to be easier.