Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11202122 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ilur in Hansville

Default Re: An Ilur in Hansville

That's a lovely looking boat David. You must be very keen to get her in the water.
    I'm loving the helm impeder it's very useful indeed and glad I spent the short time installing it.

Thanks to all for your input. I’m working on the boom. It’s rounded and almost down to size, but I made an error in judgment. The Ilur boom is divided into 3 sections. The middle section is 60mm and the end sections taper down to 56mm. Because the boom blank had side cheeks that were not the full width of the main piece and I thought it would be to hard to mill down the ends just 4mm, I rounded the entire boom to 60mm. Now I’m finding that sanding the ends down to 56mm is taking quite a bit of work. I am getting anxious to get the boat in the water and start to learn how to sail a lug rig. Funny thing is I’m also spending a lot of time looking at other small cabin boats.

What you are building now is practice for your next build :-)

Hmmmmmm, he's caught the bug!

The boom is shaped, but of course I still have some finish sanding to do. I’m still working out the details of how to secure the sail to the boom. I’ll tie the tack grommet to a Bee hole in the boom, but I’m wondering about whether to do the same at the clew or to rig up an out haul. With an out haul it makes reefing easier.
    I took a break today and cut down a huge birch tree that had outgrown its home. I had to climb the tree which had multiple stocks and take it down from the tops. I bought a Stihl MS 140 battery powered saw and I was very impressed. It worked great and I could use it one handed. My MS 025 was too heavy for the job.
    Tomorrow I head up to Port Townsend for the annual Marine swap meet.

With the boom and yard shaped Iím running out of things to do. I still need to varnish some stuff but the temps are still to low. Once the boat is out of the garage Iíll need to fit the mast in the mast step and mast partner, and make the mast partner gate.
    I had planned to store the boat under an aluminum carport. I checked the price last year and it was affordable at $1300. When I went to order it, the price had been raised to $2600 with an 8 months wait time. I thought I would just build a lean to off my garage myself, but I was shocked at the price of lumber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, timber is getting expensive. I'll need try to reduce the volume of offcuts perhaps.................................

Nice Spars btw.

Regards Neil

Not much to report. The boat is still in the garage, but ready to come out once I get he trailer ready. The side seats, aft deck, and thwarts are clear coated and the spars have been Deks 1íd. I decided it would take to long to build the lean to off the garage so I built some pedestals to run 2x4ís across the top and just lay a tarp over the boat until I can get the lean to built. Iím hoping I can tie down the pedestals enough to use them to transport the mast. Iíve been working on a battery system to keep my iPad, iPhone, and VHF radio charged. I put a battery box together from ďIce Hole PowerĒ and I appreciate their efforts in providing all the parts to do that. Iíve also been learning how to keep the battery charged with a solar panel if I ever camp for more than a few days. Itís a learning experience. I plan on buying two 30AH lithium batteries when they are back in stock. Once I get a few things set up on the trailer Iíll have no more excuse to not get that boat outside.

Looks great, looking forward to seeing her sail. Have you dry run raising the sails yet. I tried this with my Gannet only to find the gaff jammed on the mast - later found I had mis-measured the jaws on the end off the gaff - rebuilt them & they worked fine.

Will be very interested to hear how you go with solar charging a small battery - is that panel a flexible one? I just cut 2 more planks for the CY and shaped them with my plane so that I should get faily fair lines on them I hope. It's harder work that I realised making 6 metre planks with 2 scarphs in each!

Good Luck Neil

and btw the mainsheet makes a useful tiedown for the midpoint of that mast - if you have a spring cleat on the mainsheet pulley system.

Looking good, David!

It will take some experimentation to find the optimum place(s) for the solar panel, so that it gets the most amount of sun, isn't shaded by sails and so on. On Fire-Drake, I ended up adding some small pad eyes to the insides of the gunwales above the aft deck. I clip the panel(with small battery in the back pocket) to the eyes with very small carabiners, on the side that is in the sun.

Your panel looks bigger and it is not obvious to me from the pictures where it will best fit.
    Alex

ďIt's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.Ē
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

She's looking great!

As far as your mast stands go, I suggest using the existing structure. Build a small crutch mimicking the mast and use the step you already have. Anchored at the keelson and partners just like the mast, it isn't going anywhere. Aft is a little trickier but if you were willing to put a 2" or 2 1/2"(?) hole in the aft locker you could put another step in there too.

ETA: Just saw the sculling notch, can you rest the end of your mast in there? You'll probably want to leather that notch anyway.

All you really need is a pole with a saddle, think sawed-off boom with jaws.

60 amp hours sounds like a lot for your needs, especially with a solar charger going. But I haven't done the math either...

The Pocket Yacht Palooza is July 23rd this year, I've attended in the past and it has been a good time. I like to put my boat in the water at Boat Haven and sail up to the beach in front od the NWMC, makes for a quick escape to sail around if the action on shore slows down.
    https://www.pocketyachters.com/port-townsend-pocket-yacht-palooza/

Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I haven’t had a chance to do a dry sail yet. The boat has to get out of the garage before I can step the mast which still needs to be fitted to the mast step and partner. The solar panel will just fit inside the aft hatch for transport but it might be to big to use while sailing. With a 60 AH of battery I will be able to go 2 or 3 days before I would need a charge. So I’m thinking that IF I can ever stay out for more than 3 days I would take the solar panel and battery on shore to charge. I’m still learning.
    using the mast step and partner to make a crutch for the mast transport is the best way, but that is just another thing to make and will take time. I’ll try using the pedestals for short hops to local boat ramps to get the boat in the water. The scull notch could be used, but I followed the design pattern and it’s a little small. Had I thought ahead I would have made it bigger and lined it with leather. I may do that in the future. The next step is to get the trailer ready.

Nice work, David, way to keep moving forward.

The thing I like to remind my customers is that your boat build is teaching great skills when you go to rework things.

A season on the water is the best teacher of all.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Reached a significant milestone today (2 days before my 71st birthday). The boat is out of the garage and on the trailer. The boat feels pretty secure on the trailer, but Iím not sure how itís going to work out. I got a 14í-17í bunk and because of the curve of the hull only the bilge keel area is sitting on the bunk. Iíll test the launch and reload in a few days in a small lake nearby. Now I can fit the mast in the mast step and partner area and then make the mast partner. I still have to clear coat the boom and yard and do the rigging. Getting closer. Iíve had to take time out from the boat to do spring time yard work and to spend a few days visiting my 101.5 year old uncle. He survived being wounded several times as a marine in WW2

Your boat is looking very sharp, David. Here are a couple of photos of the hull supports I made on my trailer for my Somes Sound 12.5. This is also a regular bunk trailer. When shopping for the trailer I soon discovered that it was very difficult to purchase a sailboat trailer. Triad makes one on the east coast that many of the H12s and their kin use. But the cost to get one here was a bit extreme.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMGP7372.jpg

These supports might not be the most attractive, but they support the boat quite well. All of the weight is carried on the keel with the side supports just keeping the boat upright and resisting lateral loads during turns, of course. The aft supports fold down during launch. That angled guide support in the second photo has never been used. I made it to assist in getting the keel to sit right on the center support, but got worried that the hull would scrape as the boat floated onto or off the trailer. So I took it off. Even without it, the boat is relatively easy to align properly.

Jeff

I had a similar problem with my boat -- I wonder how much of the love for planked trailers is from people whose boats have keels with little to no rocker! -- but essentially solved by it by building up the front of the plank with several extra pieces (cut at an angle at the rear, so sliding on is easy), and then at the rear, by adding a block that I remove for unloading/loading the boat. The block is held in place by some (way oversized) cotter pins, though given the boat is strapped down, I don't think it could bounce out. See photos:

This means that the bow in unsupported, but only for a few feet, and there are a couple feet between the back of the centercase and the block that are similarly unsupported, but all-in-all, it seems pretty stable, and it is an epoxy / ply boat, so is probably quite tolerant of being banged around anyway.
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

It looks like I’m not the only one with trailer issues. I think I’ll work on making some custom fit wedge pieces for the aft end of the bunk that can be used when transporting, but easily removed for launch and reload.

David, certainly you are not the only one who has had to spend time tuning their trailer. As someone else said many modern trailers seem to be built for hulls without rocker - which makes me wonder how well their hulls turn on the water but that's another story...................

I just have a couple of suggestions/ideas:-
    a) strap your boat down to the trailer and run it on the road + do a trial launch. If you can use 2 straps (1 each side) to hold her down all the better because it stops the hull rocking. On these trial drives see if you can get someone else to drive the car so that you can sit in the back & watch what's happening.
    b) I'd be tempted to extend those bunks either side a little bit - they do look quite shortish
    c) how much does the boat weigh? I'd guess around 150kg, and 220kg rigged.? A light boat like that should travel well on the trailer so long as its not sliding or bouncing
    d) You want enough pressure between bunk and hull to stop the boat rocking and no more - the bunks are there just to stop rocking not to support the weight of the hull. Too much weight on the bunks can make it a sod to launch/retrieve and you could pop a plank joint!
    e) I have 3 rollers under the keel of my 14.5 foot Gannet plus 1 roller right up front under the stem which barely touches. the bunks are approx 1 metre long with 1 each side. She doesn't move on the trailer.

I can take some photos if that helps. I think that you may be surprised just how well she trails :-)

Good Luck Neil
    Last edited by neil.henderson; 05-20-2022 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks for the info Neil. I’m guessing the the Ilur weighs somewhere around 250 kg unrigged. It is sitting on 3 rollers (aft keel, mid keel, and about 20” back from the bow). The bunks are sitting mid keel at the bilge keels. They are fitted on the inside (keel side) of the bilge keels because there isn’t enough adjustment in the brackets to have them outboard of the bilge keels. The boat rides on about 1 meter of the bunk. The boat feels very secure on the trailer, but it’s hard to tell until I get it on the road. My plan is to strap it down around the aft end of the bilge keel by using the aft row lock holes to tie off to. As soon as I can I’ll test drive it a mile down the road to a small lake to check out how/if it slides off and on. There may be too much weight on the bunks, but I’ll know more after my test launch.

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    David, certainly you are not the only one who has had to spend time tuning their trailer. As someone else said many modern trailers seem to be built for hulls without rocker - which makes me wonder how well their hulls turn on the water but that's another story...................
    My boat has a 17' keel with no rocker at all--trailering is dead simple, with a wide plank under the keel to take the boat's weight for almost the full length.

How does it turn on the water?

Slowly...

(Tracks very very well, though, so I'm OK with it, even moreso when thinking about trailering complications of rocker--tradeoffs, tradeoffs)

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    TMy plan is to strap it down around the aft end of the bilge keel by using the aft row lock holes to tie off to. As soon as I can Iíll test drive it a mile down the road to a small lake to check out how/if it slides off and on. There may be too much weight on the bunks, but Iíll know more after my test launch.
    I've really come to like the new tie-down strap I got this year--not a ratchet strap, so shouldn't put excess pressure on the hull. Around $8 for a quick-release buckle and strap in a custom length to fit my hull. You can get one at customtiedowns.com--very nice.

I got THIS STRAP (2" quick-release strap set) in a length just right for my boat's beam, so not much excess to tuck away.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    My boat has a 17' keel with no rocker at all--trailering is dead simple, with a wide plank under the keel to take the boat's weight for almost the full length.

How does it turn on the water?

Slowly...

(Tracks very very well, though, so I'm OK with it, even moreso when thinking about trailering complications of rocker--tradeoffs, tradeoffs)

Tom

Hi Tom,
    I was thinking of rocker in the hull shape rather than any rocker in the keel - my 17' David Payne Snapper boat has a completely straight keel from stem to aft but lots of rocker in the hull. Apologies if my Scottish Australian explanations waver occasionally.......................

David,
    Your plan sounds fine - Bon Chance :-)

Regards Neil

Thanks Tom for the strap info. Iíll check out what length suits me and will probably get some. I got the boat wet today. Just a splash in and row around the lake. I thought I could get the centerboard in when the boat as on the trailer, but I was wrong. I had to get the boat in the water to slip in the centerboard. No leaks except a little coming in the drain plug which was just hand tight. I still have to do some trailer adjustments but I think it will work out ok. Just starting a long process of clear coating the boom and yard with many layers of Deks 2. Now I can also fit the mast in the step and partner board, and then make the mast partner to fit the mast.

Congratulations on hitting the water--the boat looks really great (and didn't sink, which is also a plus... )

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Congratulations on the launch! The boat looks very much at home.
    Alex

ďIt's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.Ē
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Looks great!
    Congratulations on the launch.

Wet at last, that's awesome! Congratulations!
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Oh! She is pretty. Congratulations!!

Congrats! Always a good feeling when it doesn’t leak, even if you were pretty sure it wouldn’t.
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

Well done David, and no water around the centreboard case which is just excellent. And yes the trailer fixup just usually takes a few trial runs + some fiddling, then it will be fine. Looking forward to seeing those spars.

Regards Neil

Itís been awhile since my last post. Iíve had some travels, lots of yard work, with lawn mowers and tillers to work on. But I have managed to get some stuff done. First was to fit the mast to the mast partner. Second was to make the mast gate and get it fitted to the mast. Sometimes I feel like such a hack. I did my best to get the gate fitted, but when I drilled the pivot and pin holes they made the gate a bit loose against the mast. So I taped off the mast and did a form fit with fairing compound. That worked, but now I wish I had used epoxy with wood flower to match the mast gate color. Next will be to attach a cleat to the mast for the halyard tie off, get the boom and yard chafe points covered, work out the yard grommet and boom downhaul grommet, get a bleater line attached, and work out the main sheet rigging. There is still a little work to do on the boom for the sail out haul. Iíll have to work out how to tune a lug sail and get the sail crease in the right place.

I just realized that I have my mast 180 out with the leather seam aft instead of forward. Now that I have my mast gate form fitted to the seam aft I don’t really want to redo it. Is there a technical reason for having the leather seam forward or is it more for esthetic reasons?

David, is your trailer an 1150 model King? (It's the model I currently have)... I'm an Illur wannabe/admirer...Thanks.
    Beautiful work on everything! Looking forward to more pics and sailings.
    It'll be great to see "reports" here on how this design performs in the PNW for you.
    Cheers, DP

Perfect the way it is David. To have your high level of handiwork in a position where it can be admired while sailing along is all good in my books.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Thanks Mike,

Hi DP, I don’t have any experience with boat trailers. When I looked in my area the only brand near me was EZ Loader trailers. The one I got was a EZ Loader 1250 14’ -17’ Bunk. I’ve only put the boat in the water once, so I can’t say yet how it will be in the long run. The boat is sitting on 3 rollers with some weight on the bunks. But the bunks are only hitting the boat in the mid section because of the curve of the hull.