Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 132223

Thread: An Ilur in Hansville

Default Re: An Ilur in Hansville

The best part of the forum is all the input from other builders. I know that if it wasn’t for all those who posted before me and shared their builds I would have had a rougher time at it. I’m fixing a chip out of the mast step and putting a little paint on the CB that got rubbed. I cut the bottom off a 5 quart oil jug for a bailer (thanks for the tips on tying down the bailer), and I adjusted the fore most trailer roller. I’m going to cut off some of the line on the fenders and move the Prussic knot on one of the main sheet blocks. After watching all of Roger Barnes vids I was surprised At how tender the Ilur was, I now remember other Ilur builders having to add some weight when solo. I think the design of the Ilur was from a French fishing boat that was always really loaded down. And Roger always has a full load when sailing. I have some 25lb bags of lead I’m going to tie down in the bilge one bag on each side next to the CB case. I hope that helps, but it also makes me a little nervous about capsizing and stillbeing able to right the boat with the added lead. The Ilur doesn’t have any ballast in the CB or keel. I ll get back on the water as soon as I help my wife with one of her projects.

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    The best part of the forum is all the input from other builders. I know that if it wasn’t for all those who posted before me and shared their builds I would have had a rougher time at it. I’m fixing a chip out of the mast step and putting a little paint on the CB that got rubbed. I cut the bottom off a 5 quart oil jug for a bailer (thanks for the tips on tying down the bailer), and I adjusted the fore most trailer roller. I’m going to cut off some of the line on the fenders and move the Prussic knot on one of the main sheet blocks. After watching all of Roger Barnes vids I was surprised At how tender the Ilur was, I now remember other Ilur builders having to add some weight when solo. I think the design of the Ilur was from a French fishing boat that was always really loaded down. And Roger always has a full load when sailing. I have some 25lb bags of lead I’m going to tie down in the bilge one bag on each side next to the CB case. I hope that helps, but it also makes me a little nervous about capsizing and stillbeing able to right the boat with the added lead. The Ilur doesn’t have any ballast in the CB or keel. I ll get back on the water as soon as I help my wife with one of her projects.
    Onwards and upwards Moriarty :-)

Im ready for the next sea trials. 50lbs in the bilge, trailer adjustments, main sheet line up closer to the boom, but the main change was with the yard. I got turned on to a Youtube vid from Michael Storer on bending the sail to the yard and boom. It answered all my questions and allowed me to do a better job with the sail. Any first time lug sailer should see this vid.
    “Lugsail Rigging For the OzGoose, Rigging the Lugsail for the First Time”. I finally got the sail bag for the boom/yard/sail combo. I’m making another small cleat to tie off the lazy jack line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just catching up on the thread.

Good Luck, David, with the sea trials - start with a good reef in the sail and choose your weather. The Ilur - like a lot of these boat types - will settle down when a 2nd person is aboard or some ballast is aboard - the 5 gal water jugs for camping are ok ballast because you can always empty out the seawater and refill them.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats