Thread: Board thickness with makita electric hand plane

Default Board thickness with makita electric hand plane

Has anyone planed boards from say 3/4 to 1/2 with a makita plane (3 1/2”)? It was suggested to me this would work. I don’t want to drop 600 on a thickness planer unless I have to.

Default Re: Board thickness with makita electric hand plane

Thanks Rob.

You have seen the photos of the things I’ve screwed up. I should just rent the planer.

I do happen to know someone like that. Thanks for the encouragement!

Buy the planer. It will pay for itself. Rough lumber is cheaper than S4S and having a planer makes life better. Having more tools makes life better. Dont you want life to better?

How many boards? If you will be doing this on any sort of scale, bite the bullet and buy a lunchbox planer. It is an invaluable time saver and quality improver.

Maybe tempered by social distancing requirements, but if it is just a few boards, surely there is someone, very likely on this forum, even, that is close to you that would be happy to do it for you, the 6 pack just an extra bonus.

if you insist on the power planer route, pick up a #4, 5, or 6 smoothing plane, and finish things up by hand, you can do a lot of damage in the the blink of an eye with that devil with a long black tail.
    Steve Martinsen

How much wood do you need to plane? Before I got some specific tools (like a planer) I searched out local custom wood workers to help me out with a variety of things and they were always more than glad to help another wood worker. They would just let me know what a good time to stop bye would be and I would show up then. It helps to stop by in person to make a connection rather than making a phone call. (Hmmm, ....... well maybe in a couple of months. )

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Those crappy pine planks you are using will not plane well with a $600 thickness planer, a Makita1900 or the worlds fanciest hand plane.
    Too many knots, kiln dried junk wood, severe grain run out.

When it came time to make the whales/toe rails for my sharpie I scarfed nominal 1x4 cypress, 24 ft long. Then I used the Makita to make a rabbit. I set it for maximum width and maximum depth that it would cut. Offhand I don't remember what the cut was, but I was in a hurry. After a few passes the Makita spit sparks and died.

Lesson learned. I bought another Makita just like the first one. This time I didn't make nearly as deep a cut, but made more passes. My Makita and I get along fine now.

I have both a Makita hand power plane and a Dewalt 13” thickness planer. The hand power plane is good for gross wood removal but not precision work. I use it for the beginning cutting for scarfs but the final cuts with a hand plane. For boards there is absolutely nothing better than a good thickness planer. You will find hundreds of uses for it. There is nothing quite like taking a junky plank down into a gorgeous piece of wood.

I guess I know what I’m asking for for my birthday

A planer is a must if you're going to build boats as it frees you from lumberyard stock. Almost all of my wood is rough cut, bought from local sawmills. Plus you're not going to find good boat wood in big box stores or even most lumberyards.

Check Craigslist and FB. I see there is/was a Dewalt 735 for sale in MA. I had the 735 for several years, great machine, sold it when we moved. Now I have a used Grizzly 15", more robust, but also more maintenance.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Buy the planer. It will pay for itself. Rough lumber is cheaper than S4S and having a planer makes life better. Having more tools makes life better. Dont you want life to better?
    Makes sense to me.
    Tom L

I have never been able to anything useful with a hand held power planer. Get the thicknesser.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Check your local Craigslist. You can get a usable planer for $300.
    https://capecod.craigslist.org/search/tla?query=planer

Surface plane it with a router.

Find a local shop they'll often will for a small fee. As long as it's free of nails.
    basil

I've reduced board thickness (for boards no wider than 3.5") on my table saw. It works OK, but it leaves saw marks and takes careful setup and lots of concentration when I'm doing it. OK for one or two boards, but not for more.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

A decent Dewalt 12” planer can be purchased for $350

I misread the thread title as "Beard thickness..." and thought, "Well, that'd be ONE way to do it..."

I was able to talk my local high school shop into planing rough lumber down for me when I was building the keel for my boat. That quickly changed to them letting me do it myself on their planer--much appreciated!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

If you are not hung up on opening the shiny cardboard box I would also recommend Craigslist. They come up all the time around here.

Hmmmm, .......... It looks like this is in Fall River, ............ $300.

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/tl...098931010.html

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    A planer is a must if you're going to build boats as it frees you from lumberyard stock. Almost all of my wood is rough cut, bought from local sawmills.
    yep.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Despite being almost a millennial I’m not into unboxing so a used machine would be fine with me.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Second hand is good, for the same money you get a much better machine.

If you can, research new blades/knives beforehand.
    I sharpen mine, it takes a while and i don't know of a jig for them so i do have to swap out eventually because i can't be fully consistent by hand. Also if they hit a nail it'll leave a groove in your wood, its hard to get rid of that consistently across a long blade - maybe have a machinist grind it, but that'll be as expensive as a new blade. So just make sure its not some exotic size.

A couple of roller stands are handy for long pieces.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.