Thread: Apple Pie 2 - Lockdown Build

Default Apple Pie 2 - Lockdown Build

My Apple Pie build.

Not meant to be pretty, but minimalistic - light weight - and tough by using basalt/innegra.

I need a tender that is small and light, but can carry 2 people, and to be abused by banging into rocks and dragging it up the beach to the high tide line (I'm in the Pacific Northwest - in Canada).

It will be for this boat:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...0&d=1566435164

which was (re)built here:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ect-40220.html

These are the plans:
    https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00.../ApplePie2.pdf

Big thanks to Chuck Merrell, and Atkins from where the design was graciously borrowed.

The start:

IMG_2293.jpg

Build is in progress, more to come soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Got a Woodie?

Default Re: Apple Pie 2 - Lockdown Build

Apple pie is a practical design which carries a good load. In the process of converting mine to a nester since she was a bit in need of rebuilding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    My Apple Pie build.

Not meant to be pretty, but minimalistic - light weight - and tough by using basalt/innegra.
    Interesting mix of materials! I did have to look up innegra though. Interesting.

And that Duckworks article about the design was great! Thanks!

Looking forward to watch it come together.

Eric
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

Let the wrestling match begin..... got zip ties? got Joubert Oukume marine ply?
    IMG_2294.jpg

taking shape...
    IMG_2295.jpg

Fumed Silica Filet
    IMG_2314.jpg

Heat lamp
    IMG_2315.jpg

Flipped
    IMG_2316.jpg
    Got a Woodie?

Hmm... best way to deal with zip tie removal?
    IMG_2321.jpg

sanding
    IMG_2338.jpg

sanding - went very aggressive with rounding the edges, but she will be strong
    IMG_2343.jpg

Innegra and Basalt 7.8oz twill
    IMG_2369.jpg

Innegra doesn't sand well - it fuzzes up, and well, if you know what I'm taking about, you know what I'm talking about
    IMG_2370.jpg

Edges are all overlapped - corners will have 4 layers ( 2 x bottom, 1 x side, 1 x bow or stern)
    Got a Woodie?

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

All the white areas are sanded thru, and fuzzed up. Aesthetically, this is a nightmare/disaster, but it doesn't matter - not trying to be pretty - won't be faired/painted anyway. The fuzz, when epoxied becomes a crazy hard non-skid texture.

I will use this unwanted feature/property to my advantage on the inside floor of the boat by making a non-slip surface.
    IMG_2379.jpg
    Got a Woodie?

Bottom is done, with a bit of grippy bits where the sanding was a bit too much.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave it this way, at least for now.
    IMG_2380.jpg

The inside. The 60" width of the fabric is *just* barely wide enough for one piece application.
    IMG_2386.jpg

Inside.
    IMG_2393.jpg

Next up is the inwhales, and outside rub strip. And seats and oarlocks....
    Got a Woodie?

It sounds a lot like kevlar, but not so pricey? It looks to be bulletproof. Literally.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    My Apple Pie build.

I need a tender that is small and light, but can carry 2 people, and to be abused by banging into rocks and dragging it up the beach to the high tide line (I'm in the Pacific Northwest - in Canada).

It will be for this boat:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...0&d=1566435164

which was (re)built here:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ect-40220.html

These are the plans:
    https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00.../ApplePie2.pdf

Big thanks to Chuck Merrell, and Atkins from where the design was graciously borrowed.

The start:

IMG_2293.jpg

Build is in progress, more to come soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

Good choice for a small dinghy. I may have posted something on this before, but I'd like to add a bit about Chuck and Apple Pie, and mention another offshoot of this design. I met Chuck first in 2000, at the Port Townsend boat show when a gang of the now-defunct Bolgerlist members got together in person, he and Bill Samson drove up from Seattle and I crossed from Victoria in my own boat. Chuck had a long history around boats and had several designs to his credit, including several for Bill McKibben, who was also from Victoria. After Chuck designed Apple Pie, then Peach Pie, I asked him if it could be shrunk down to 6 feet, as I wanted a small, light dinghy I could carry in the forward part of the cockpit, with me in the after half. He had the design done by the time he replied to my email (and before I had given him the actual cockpit dimensions) so after shortening it another two inches, I built it using 1/8" plywood, six ounce glass and epoxy. I glued in 3" wide strips on the bottom to imitate floorboards and add some strength there, and I think I had to use heavier ply and/or stiffeners for the single longitudinal seat. The design was a great success, it would carry one or two adults, rowed easily, towed well and weighed in at 15 lbs. Another friend built one out of 1/4" ply and added a sail rig - that worked too.

After a while I traded mine away as my knees were going and I couldn't comfortably fold up and fit in a six footer any more. She subsequently broke her tow line while my friend was occupied with some rough weather in his 29 footer, and was not recovered.

Chuck succumbed to cancer a few years ago, I'm glad at least one of his designs is still being offered and built. BTW, the six footer design was named Apple Tart, following the tradition. If anyone is interested, I might have both the Peach Pie and Apple Tart plans somewhere on disc - I believe I salvaged them when my old computer went away.

Jamie

I appreciate your post Jamie. Wooden boats are always more interesting when there is the story behind it.
    Got a Woodie?

What happened to the build? I've had these plans for years. I'm thinking about building her and putting a small sail on her for messing about in small coves.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.