Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB 14 being built off plans by Bateau.com

Default RB 14 being built off plans by Bateau.com

image.jpg

I've started building an RB14 runabout for my wife.
    It's a little 1950's retro look boat. She saw a pic of one and liked the look of the deck, so I got started.
    As with previous builds, taking time to get the strongback right is a good start.
    Last edited by Frans Loots; 04-12-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Default Re: RB 14 being built off plans by Bateau.com

It's a stitch and glue build so a lot of time gets spent on marking out the hull panels and bulkheads.

TAttachment 57184image.jpg

The Makita track/ plunge saw worked much better than a jigsaw and on a shallow setting did nice even curves on the large panels.
    Last edited by Frans Loots; 04-12-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Looking forward to your build. I just scrapped a 14 foot runabout built in 1958 but was able to save all of the hardware, windshield, cleats, steering wheel, lights and have been thinking about the RB14. I have built several bateau.com boats and like the method and quality of the designs.

image.jpg

The two stringers help to align the frames and bulkheads.

image.jpg

The motor well sides are used to set the transom at the correct angle. This has been the most difficult job so far, mainly due to the weight of the transom. It's made of 4 pieces of 9 mm ply laminated together.

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Stiching the the panels and seeing the boat take shape is always a nice part of the build.
    The bottom panels needed a bit of steam to get them tied up. A towel with two kettles of boiling water and a half hour wait did it.
    Then tack welding the panels before cutting the cable ties. Followed by glassing the seams with biax tape. The plans call for 300 gram 45 degree biax tape, but I could only get 400 gram locally.

The prop from the ceiling......the keel needed a little bit of pursuation to get rid of a high spot (about 4 mm).

image.jpg

The boat gets a little bit of tumblehome at the stern. A number of 1500 mm slits are made in the side panels to enable the plywood to take up a compound curve. Taming the floppy epoxy covered strips of plywood took a while. Lots of epoxy covered tools to clean up afterwards.

image.jpg

image.jpg

After flipping the hull, the inside gets taped and sheathed. Then the two bilge stringers and bulkheads and frames are glassed in.
    This is two weeks into the build. In South Africa we have been under full lockdown due to the Corona virus since the 28th March. Confined to home, only allowed out for essential food purchases etc. My epoxy supply is not going to make it, so I'm focussing on getting the bulkheads locked in, even if not fully taped on both sides. That will allow me to move on and start cutting and dry fitting the deck stringers etc.

image.jpg

All pretty straight forward, just lots of taping to be done. Almost ready to start on the deck stringers etc.

image.jpg

Not my picture, not my boat. Taken from the www.bataeu.com website. This is what I'm chasing, but we're building the double cockpit version.

Great build pics! Please keep posting as you continue -- Cheers!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Great project while in isolation... looking very good. Shame about the epoxy running out, but plenty to be getting on with.

The finished article looks wonderful, well balanced, light and stylish. Good choice by your wife! How will you handle the faux deck planking?
    Last edited by lupussonic; 04-12-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Hallo,
    Others have routered the fake caulking strips into the plywood deck. Then stain the plywood according to your colour preference. Then fill the slits with coloured and thickened epoxy. Then clean it up. Then epoxy over the entire job, then varnish.
    I have made a little test patch out of off-cut plywood. Okay so far. Biggest task will be to get the straight edge perfectly lined up for the router.

Hey Frans

Whereabouts in South Africa are you? I am up in Gauteng (Centurion, to be specific), building (slowly!) a Devlin Winter Wren. You are progressing at a fair rate of knots. Typically, the little extra time I have due to the lock-down, is also being wasted by lack of epoxy.

Cheers!

Hallo,
    We live in St Francis Bay. So the boat will be used for idle speed cruising on the canals and for picnics up the Kromme River. It's not a boat for rough water.
    I had a quick look, your boat looks like a nice design. I'm also a sailing guy, but the little powerboat is for everyday use.
    Keep well.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

When my daughter and I built the RB14 we spent quite some time in the boat prior to taping in the bulkheads playing with seat placement and mocking up interior. That really helped a lot. We built the single cockpit version and I (6'2") can fit pretty comfortably. Also, consider adding some angle to the bulkheads that become the seat backs before taping them in where you want. Minor shifting didn't throw the shape out, but did allow for much more comfortable seating.
    Good luck. Looking forward to your build.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    When my daughter and I built the RB14 we spent quite some time in the boat prior to taping in the bulkheads playing with seat placement and mocking up interior. That really helped a lot. We built the single cockpit version and I (6'2") can fit pretty comfortably. Also, consider adding some angle to the bulkheads that become the seat backs before taping them in where you want. Minor shifting didn't throw the shape out, but did allow for much more comfortable seating.
    Good luck. Looking forward to your build.

Hallo,
    Thanks for the advice. I actually refer back to your build quite often to pick up bits of info.
    We will rig up the deck chairs and beers tomorrow to try out seating arrangements.
    Regards.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The last two bulkheads' fillets and tabbing done. That was a tedious job! One is okay, but 6 of them plus a transom......

The local red tape requires powerboats with motors over 15 hp to be issued with so called floatation certificates, so the first two compartments will be filled with large blocks of foam. Ditto for the aft compartment at the motor well.

Next is the tabbing of the bilge stringers. A total of 12 running meters of tabbing! Another back breaker.

I am now on 6 weeks of building time. Everything is taking twice as long as I would have thought. One never learns!

Looks like great progress for six weeks of build! Looking forward to seeing another RB14 come to life.

image.jpg

I've finally completed the last tabbing.
    The two cockpit frames have been cut out and one can get a feel of the cockpit size.

Nice clean work. It's like putting up the framing in a house, now you know what you have to work with inside. Looks great.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've been dry fitting deck beams, cockpit coamings etc. In fact anything to avoid the big sanding session that's waiting for me.
    A number of other builders have found that the plans give the incorrect measurements for the bottom of the motor well. Same here. No big deal.
    it's all a nice change to do some woodwork after the meters and meters of glass fibre tabbing.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Every hour spent in the garage is one hour closer to completion. And everything takes twice as long as you thought it would. But the hours add up and little tasks get completed.

Small hardly visible tasks are getting ticked off inside the hull. The plans lack detail regarding cockpit layout and dimensions. I am a sailing boat guy so powerboats are all new to me. A lot of time is spent looking at other RB 14 builds on the net. They are all single cockpit layouts, but ours is going to be double cockpits. That makes for even more guess work.

I've also done a little test patch for the deck with 6 mm ply.
    Routered a 1.5 mm groove. Stained the ply, very thin epoxy coat over everything, tape off alongside the groove, fill the groove with epoxy and microbaloon. Just before it gets too hard, pull off the tape. Once hard, sand smooth, epoxy coat. To be followed by sanding and varnish.

It looks good for what was in essence a very quick job done at the spur of the moment with a bit of left over epoxy after a laminating session.

Regards.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Front seat dry fitted. That's about all I can do for now. No plywood for backseat, no plywood for the decks.
    2 kg Epoxy on hand, but no cloth and epoxy for doing the bottom.
    So, I can sand and sand the interior and epoxy coat the bouyancy chambers.
    I don't see the end of lockdown coming soon for us.

Coming along very nicely! ...I like the tumblehome! Bateau designs some great boats IMO....I built the bateau C17 as a center console and have been enjoying it for five seasons now.
    Sanding would probably keep you busy for a while...too bad you dont have your other materials...maybe order your cloth and epoxy and have it delivered?

Still making great progress.

Test piece looks good on the faux decking. When I routed the ply for the epoxy stripes, I found that using a "down cutting" spiral bit worked best and gave me the cleanest edge. Just FYI. Also, I was given some advice to use dye under the epoxy for color and that worked out great. (no issues)

I'm looking forward to seeing the double cockpit come together. I shifted weight forward to get the trim I wanted, so I suspect you should be ok with "smallish" people up front. (my battery is well forward and fuel tanks sit in front of cockpit.)

Keep the pictures coming. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    Still making great progress.

I'm looking forward to seeing the double cockpit come together. I shifted weight forward to get the trim I wanted, so I suspect you should be ok with "smallish" people up front. (my battery is well forward and fuel tanks sit in front of cockpit.)

Keep the pictures coming. Thanks for posting.
    Hi Jim,
    We are going to move the steering to the front cockpit in order to trim the boat level and for the legroom under the foredeck.
    The legroom in the aft cockpit will be very tight, but it will only get occasional use. My plan is to build a removable deck hatch or cover to close the aft cockpit when it is not in use by guests.

Regards from St Francis Bay, South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans Loots View Post
    Hi Jim,
    We are going to move the steering to the front cockpit in order to trim the boat level and for the legroom under the foredeck.
    The legroom in the aft cockpit will be very tight, but it will only get occasional use. My plan is to build a removable deck hatch or cover to close the aft cockpit when it is not in use by guests.

Regards from St Francis Bay, South Africa.
    Sounds like a good plan. Will you place the fuel aft and access it through the same hatch?

We made the seat back easily removable and that provides pretty good access behind the seat, so I could see doing the same in your case. You also won't need the long battery cable runs that I had to use. Power trim/tilt on our motor is a nice addition that may help too. IMHO

Had to google St. Francis Bay...Looks like a beautiful spot. Will you be using the RB on the river?

image.jpg

Yep, the boat will be kept on the dock in front of the house for Kromme River and waterways use. Our home is in the middle of the picture, to the immediate left of the two tall palm trees. Open fields on both sides.
    (pic taken off the internet)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87IMG_20201209_203745.jpg181[/ATTACH]

Deck being glued down.

R2.jpg

Setting up a straight edge to guide the router for the fake caulked deck.

R4.jpg

All done, ready to stain the deck with a water based stain.
    The deck did not seat down very well on one or two spots along the centre line, but I can live with it.

R5.jpg

Staining is done, ready to be "caulked" with epoxy and microballoon.

R6.jpg

R7.jpg

Masking up and caulking done.

Then excess caulking sanded down and the entire job sealed with three coats of epoxy.

R8.jpg

Fake caulking job completed.
    Lots of sanding and 6 coats of varnish later.
    Not quite the best of Wooden Boat Mag jobs, but okay, not perfect, just okay.

R9.jpg

Painting complete, ready for fitting out.